Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Want to switch all my LED units to QD  (Read 1706 times)
KraytDragonPearl
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 609

Light Side Points

« on: January 08, 2017, 10:32:55 AM »

Hola Mi Familia,

I don't normally venture in this area as Im the most hapless "techno weenie" around, however I need some assistance as I am going to start switching out all of the LED's in my sabers to QD's.  I need to know what I need to accomplish this. 

Already own:
Wire cutters/crimpers/strippers
Heat shrink
Soldering gun and solder
a proper ventilated area   Roll Eyes

What I need:
HuhHuhHuh?
I know I need the QD's (so no wise cracks here), but I don't know the specifics: wire gauge, what brand is good, where to buy (if I can't get it on Amazon), etc.

Also is there anything else that I need, but am not aware of needing. 

Ultimately I want to be able to pull apart an entire saber and QD all the internals into another hilt.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. 

MTFBWY

KDP

Own: Lost Gray, Obsidian V4, Tri-C AS; Fulcrum, Obsidian V4, Tri-C AS; Nickel-plated Guardian, (Emerald), Obsidian V3; Arbiter, Obsidian V3, GB; Archon V3 Tri-C FO Obsidian V4; Manticore, Obsidian V3, VA; Phantasm V4, BH; Dark Sentinel, BR; Dominix V2, RGB; Dark Initiate V2 x3 (BR, CG, GB); Initiate LE V2 x2, CG.

Want: Bellicose, Prophecy V3

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 04:36:32 PM »

JST Connectors are what you need.  I believe Ultra Sabers uses 24-gauge wire, because it's slightly thicker than the 26-gauge I used on my own build, and in gauges smaller numbers are thicker.  Though, it could even be 22-gauge.  Perhaps our resident expert will answer that one.  Cool  Amazon is definitely your friend as far as buying these.

KraytDragonPearl
Knight Commander

Light Side Points

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 04:38:52 PM »

JST Connectors are what you need.  I believe Ultra Sabers uses 24-gauge wire, because it's slightly thicker than the 26-gauge I used on my own build, and in gauges smaller numbers are thicker.  Though, it could even be 22-gauge.  Perhaps our resident expert will answer that one.  Cool  Amazon is definitely your friend as far as buying these.

Thanks SFDude!  Is there anything else that I will need or did I actually list everything I need.

Own: Lost Gray, Obsidian V4, Tri-C AS; Fulcrum, Obsidian V4, Tri-C AS; Nickel-plated Guardian, (Emerald), Obsidian V3; Arbiter, Obsidian V3, GB; Archon V3 Tri-C FO Obsidian V4; Manticore, Obsidian V3, VA; Phantasm V4, BH; Dark Sentinel, BR; Dominix V2, RGB; Dark Initiate V2 x3 (BR, CG, GB); Initiate LE V2 x2, CG.

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 04:43:55 PM »

For this, yeah probably just what you have listed, as all you'll be doing is clipping, stripping and soldering wires.  The only thing I'd add is some safety glass, if you don't already have those.  Unless, of course, you wear normal glasses, then those will serve to keep stuff from flying in your eyes while snipping and soldering.  Wink

KraytDragonPearl
Knight Commander

Light Side Points

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 05:08:08 PM »

For this, yeah probably just what you have listed, as all you'll be doing is clipping, stripping and soldering wires.  The only thing I'd add is some safety glass, if you don't already have those.  Unless, of course, you wear normal glasses, then those will serve to keep stuff from flying in your eyes while snipping and soldering.  Wink

Im all about the safety glasses.  I've had lasik done on my eyes and I have no plan to mess up my eyes any time soon.  Thanks for the info.  If you can do me one more favor, I would appreciate it.  can you link a good JST connector from Amazon.  Im having trouble since I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for. 

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 06:30:05 PM »

I don't know what is good, but these have good ratings:

https://www.amazon.com/RGBZONE-20Pairs-Connector-Cable-Female/dp/B013WTV270/ref=sr_1_1?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1483899931&sr=1-1&keywords=jst+connector

https://www.amazon.com/pairs-Plug-Connector-Battery-Female/dp/B0089RAXB2/ref=sr_1_4?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1483900100&sr=1-4&keywords=jst+connector

As you can see, you get plenty of them for not a lot of money.

Though, I don't know if you have a hobby store nearby, but you may want to look there first.  It seems these are common for RC cars, so you may just be able to pick some up locally.

JediXIX
Alchemist of the Sentinel Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1172

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 01:17:12 PM »

Hey KDP . . . James Casey has a great tutorial . . . . one of the first to help inspire me to get started down this path . . . I'll find it for you  Smiley
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=16431

I have lots to share, but first a couple of question / answers, lol . . .

Do you have many hilts with QD's installed by US ? . . . if so, I'd recommend using the same black JST US use for your modules (they use the black ones for main blade and a red JST for FoC) . . . if not, you may want to use just the red ones for your own hilts, just be aware that if you buy a QD module or MLS from US it will come with the black ones and you'll have to refit your own red ones to fit with your setup . . . hope you get what I'm suggesting here . . .

JST's, both the black and red ones can be purchased pre wired . . . and can be purchased from US . . . . I'm sure Marlena will help you with how to order those . . . I'd recommend getting at least 1 set from them first, for a reason that I discovered the hard way, lol . . . the pre wired ones available out in the wild can be wired with the same polarity as the ones US use OR reverse . . . different hobbies that use these connectors may have different standards of which way they're wired, and I bought some where the positive and negative were swapped around and I only discovered it after a build . . . very frustrating, lol . . . . you just need to check when connected that the red and black wires match . . .

My only other advice for now . . . patience . . . you will learn as you go, and mistakes are all part of the learning process . . . but we'll be here to answer any questions as you need . . . cheers Bro, welcome to the club  Wink

Remember... The Force will be with you... Always . . . (Just let it in)

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 03:07:53 PM »

JST's, both the black and red ones can be purchased pre wired . . . and can be purchased from US . . . . I'm sure Marlena will help you with how to order those . . .

Holy crap, I don't know why I didn't think of ordering those from US.  It's a good thing you're here, JediXIX.  Smiley  Of course you can order anything you need from them, you just need to shoot over an e-mail finding out how to do it and how much it's going to cost.

KraytDragonPearl
Knight Commander

Light Side Points

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 06:16:41 PM »

Thanks XIX,

I like that idea way more.  I have limited knowledge of electronics so this will hopefully make things easier.   

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: