Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Author Topic: Art Project: Wood + Graflex SE :)  (Read 26704 times)
sllikskills
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 81

Maully Maul

« on: January 08, 2017, 10:57:37 AM »

What's up guys!

Thought I'd post this - it's a project that I have just started, and got my inspiration from the Ultrasabers Graflex SE

Combining two of my favorite hobbies, I thought it would be a great/challenging idea to execute a full scale replica of Luke/Anakins saber AKA the Graflex - IN WOOD!

However, not just your typical.... chiseled out, non-functional saber. I want to create a Wooden Graflex that:
1) uses all of the metal pieces (clamp, bunny ears, thumb screws) and the rubber grips. Meaning that ONLY the hilt tube itself is wood
2) is fully functional, meaning it will have both light and sound, duel-able, and re-chargeable

I'm still at a very early stage in this project. I just spent the last 4 hours or so just slowly creating the shape of the Graflex. Check picture below! Notice that I have already drawn on all the locations of the holes and screw areas on the blade that I will be cutting out later. I've also hollowed out the hilt completely so I can insert the stainless steel tube inside. Once carefully glued to the inside of the hilt, this will completely reinforce the wooden hilt, making it strong and sturdy for dueling.

A lot more progress to come! Please let me know your thoughts, or possible considerations for improvement.

As for the soundcard, obviously I'm thinking of the Obsidian

Enjoy!

Stay Woke!!!

-Graflex SE - Obsidian V4 - Arctic Blue - Adegan Silver foc
-Electrum Wind - Obsidian Lite - Violet Amethyst - no foc
-Prophecy v3 - Obsidian Lite - Adegan Silver - Blazing Red foc
-Dark Initiate v3 - Adegan Silver - Stunt (for now)
-Fulcrum - Emerald - Obsidian v4 - Consular Green
-Chosen One CE - Emerald - Obsidian v4 - Blazing Red
-Lost Gray - Custom Install

My Wood Graflex Build Thread - http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=33641.msg528894#msg528894

Greywolf
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 100

Grey all the way ;)

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 02:47:40 PM »

Really cool idea!

The inner tube should keep the blade retention screw in place, too, so that's a nice way to make a duel-capable wooden saber Grin

Cake is a lie. There are only Cookies.
Through Cookies I gain Chocolate.
Through Chocolate I gain Energy.
Through Energy I gain Weight.
Through Weight my pants will burst.
The Force shall free me.

sllikskills
Knight Sergeant

Maully Maul

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 09:18:15 PM »

Thanks Greywolf! I'm very excited and will be getting more done today

Stay Woke!!!

My Wood Graflex Build Thread - http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=33641.msg528894#msg528894

sllikskills
Knight Sergeant

Maully Maul

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 12:35:36 AM »

A couple of updates during my NFL football break

In this pic, you can see the copper housing sticking out. Once I sand the hilt down a little more, it should sit right in the tube above the LED's. This tube will be housing the blade.

More progress! I've got the main inner tube to successfully fit inside the entire hilt!  Next step will be to start drilling out the holes where the electrical pins and buttons will be sitting. The Graflex look is really starting to show itself  Grin Grin

Purchased Obsidian Soundcard and the proper LEDs for Arctic Blue, as well as a battery/speaker unit. They are currently on its way over to my doorstep

I've also got the grips and the clamp on its way over from a seperate vendor

Cheers!

Stay Woke!!!

Hansrad
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -670

Jedi? Sith? I'm the one with the lightsaber.

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 04:12:48 AM »

That is so cool. I love the idea of using the wood. Heck points for hollowing out those pieces so well. That alone is a task in it's self. Can't wait to see how this progresses.

Own: Emerald Overlord, BHManticore, BR Renegade,FO Dominix LE V4 (stunt), CG Dominix LE V4 (stunt), GB Apprentice LE(stunt),BR Dark Initiate LE V4 (stunt), AS Apprentice LE V4 (stunt), CG Dominix V3 (stunt), SRD Darkish Liberator (stunt) Emerald Lost Grey.

sllikskills
Knight Sergeant

Maully Maul

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 06:03:45 AM »

Thanks Hansrad  Grin

You're absolutely right, hollowing out those pieces took the better parts of two consecutive days. Thanks for the point!

Final updates for the day...

Top and bottom halves of the Graflex hilt are not perfectly sized down to the correct measurement, and the inner support tube has also been cut. I've also cut out the Graflex clamp rivets on both halves. Didn't have enough time to drill out the thumb screw and electrical pin holes yet. Probably will tomorrow. Hopefully the electronics will arrive soon.

Picture I referred to for clamp rivets

Voila!

Stay Woke!!!

Niels
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 31

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 11:08:51 AM »

Good craftsmanship, it will be interesting to see the result!

By the way, your tablet screen displaying the lego movie made sure I'll be humming "everything is awesome" for the rest of the day  Grin

- Apprentice V4, Tri Blazing Red, Obsidian V4, Arbiter Pommel
- Apprentice V4 LE, Tri Consular Green, Obsidian V4, Arbiter Pommel
- Initiate V2 LE, Guardian Blue
- Crimson Scorpion, Emerald, Obsidian V4 (Winter Raffle 1st prize)

sllikskills
Knight Sergeant

Maully Maul

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 01:12:49 PM »

thanks man!! HAHAHA that song kills me

Stay Woke!!!

sllikskills
Knight Sergeant

Maully Maul

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 06:45:41 AM »

SOME UPDATES!

Had some time to get stuff done today, though not as much as I will be getting done tomorrow.

Took some time on getting some pvc and working it down to perfectly fit the copper blade holder piece.

This is how it looks installed in the hilt. Will have to make further modifications  to the pieces before I actually install this in it. But yay it fits snug

Next step, started getting these beautiful thumb screw and electrical pin ports on the hilt completed.

Oh yeahhh - the iconic thumb screw looking awesome on the base hilt. This is the moment in every Graflex builder's path where one must decide whether to go The Force Awakens, or go Empire Strikes Back  Shocked Shocked Shocked

I'll go with The Force Awakens  Tongue
Once the grips and the clamp arrive, this thing will start to come to life. Til then, I just gotta worry about staining the wood, and then adding lots of protection to it. I'm thinking about a layer of epoxy to make sure that wood will be as hard as a rock. Will be tough to apply smoothly though

My mess of a workstation, however STILL not messy enough to overshadow the beauty of the Graflex silhouette. SO EXCITED

Have a great Wednesday guys, ttyl

Stay Woke!!!

DarkRN
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: -3

Definitely drawn to the dark side.

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2017, 06:03:24 PM »

Looking forward to seeing the finished project. Very cool so far. Have you ever heard of a "Massey Finish"? It's an epoxy and acetone mix that some wood arrow builders use. Google should provide plenty of help, but I think it's basically 2 parts epoxy and 1 part acetone. Might go on easier than straight epoxy and is supposed to be very near indestructible. Just a thought that popped into my head.

"Grey would be the color if I had a heart"

sllikskills
Knight Sergeant

Maully Maul

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2017, 07:24:22 PM »

Dude! Thank you! Take a point. I wasn't sure so I gave you a light point. I will be looking this up. Definitely the type of advice I hope to get from this thread. Thanks!

Stay Woke!!!

sllikskills
Knight Sergeant

Maully Maul

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2017, 06:54:19 AM »

More Updates!

Created Pommel Cap for Hilt -began to carve the "Graflex 3 Cell" into the cap but wasn't to impressed with the way it was coming out. Once the stain is dried, I'm going to use some acrylic paint to touch up the cap and really make that more like the original.

Finally finished off the rest of the holes of the hilt. Never really realized how many different holes are on this hilt shroud til I actually had to make them one by one lol. I've also drilled out all the 7 holes for the A New Hope T-track pattern. YEAH I SAID IT - I changed my mind! I will be going down the ANH route! Only difference structurally is the amount of grips, and clamp card. The buttons are the same between the two pretty much. I believe the ESB version has the red button thumb screws on both sides.
The square holes were so much harder to do than the circles lol.

BIG STEP!
I've applied Shellac on the inside of the hilt, and some nice oil base stain on the exterior - I absolutely love the color. It will start to look more amber when the finish is applied - it's gonna look even better after that's done. But already the hilt is starting to come together.

Tomorrow, I will be epoxying the tubes and supports inside of the hilt, as well as epoxying the entire hilt!! Once that is done, it's going to take a few days to cure, but when it's fully cured, it will be ready to accept the chassis and electronics!

Cant wait for my Graflex SE to arrive from Ultrasabers. It will be nice to have something in hand to compare to, since I don't own one currently.

will post some more updates later Cool

Stay Woke!!!

Lord Sidious
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -644

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2017, 07:16:59 AM »

Great job!, Definitely a point to you,

Corwyn VonBeck
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -340

Grey Knight

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2017, 03:23:02 PM »

Wow, this is an awesome project!
its funny, I talked with someone not too long ago about best ways to create a wooden hilt, and you have gone down that exact path. Smiley

RevanReborn
Technomancer of the Graflex Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1086

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2017, 11:59:50 AM »

Wow dude!  This is awesome!  SUCH a wicked idea Smiley

It's really turning out amazing! 

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: