Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Author Topic: Art Project: Wood + Graflex SE :)  (Read 26708 times)
Benji
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 163

« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2017, 11:58:09 PM »

Wow. When I first read about it, I didn't really like the idea. But this looks amazing!! Great work, looking forward to seeing the finished product lit up.

I have but four enemies: Envy, Lust, Greed and Lethargy...

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2017, 10:45:15 PM »

I'm back from the trip!!!

Still suffering from some mild jetlag, however that couldn't stop my enthusiasm to get more progress done. Especially since I came back home to some key parts to complete the project. I've put in a few more hours, and boy do I have some pictures to show yall!!

EXTERNAL IS COMPLETE!!!! Take a look at these awesome pics below.

With the second thumb screw, the bunny ears, the clamp, and grips arriving, this saber morphed into the iconic A New Hope Graflex right before my very eye. Looks even better in person than what I had imagined in my mind before even getting started. Who's cutting the damn onions?!!  Cry Cry

I've finally received more Graflex models to use as a comparison. Of course you can see the absolutely stunning Ultrasabers Graflex SE right next to my creation. The order from left to right in movie models are : A New Hope (wood), Return of the Sith (Ultrasabers), Empire Strikes Back (Other Brand Replica).

Another angle. Obv the Replica ESB version needs the most work. I just can't believe how awesome the wood came out. And the hilt is so sturdy. Cannot wait to fully install the electronics in it!!

So excited to complete this. I have all the chassis parts here, just need to work on putting them together. And still stuck on some resistor questions. But I think it should all be downhill from here!

Will keep you guys updated

This is nothing short of INCREDIBLE!  Your attention to detail is phenomenal; all of your graflex models are a sight to look at  Cheesy

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Shimmy_Jim
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 13

"Not this ship sister!"

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2017, 12:50:02 AM »

Your craftsmanship is amazing! It's a work of art!!! I'll just be here hanging out, I want to see it with the electronics. Point awarded for your talent and amazing concept. You really brought it to life.

nathanielreykun
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 40

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2017, 02:43:51 PM »

That looks freaking amazing! Point to you!
I personally plan on doing something similar to make a replica of Gungi's saber from The Clone Wars:

Dark Apprentice V4 Stunt
Initiate V3/Mantis Combo Stunt
Aeon V2 Stunt
Reaper Obsidian Lite
Sentinel LE V4 Obsidian V4QR CouplerApprentice LE V4 Obsidian V4
Modified Mantis CE Custom Obsidian V4

sllikskills
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 81

Maully Maul

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2017, 07:34:19 PM »

Whoa!!

So happy to see some replies. I've been out the game for a few months due to work/my brothers wedding/preparing for San Diego Comic Con - but hopefully I can install the electronics and have this saber ready for SDCC in July! Thanks for all the support guys, really gives me a second wind to get this saber finished up - it's been sitting in my office cubicle for like two months naked with no electronics just to stare at, and now I think I finally have that motivation to bring this bad boy home and get it all wired up. Will definitely post pictures when it's all finished and keep this thread alive!! Will also post some pics of it in Comic Con. I'm sure that there will be a lot of lightsabers there, and more specifically - a lot of Graflexes there, but I know this one will be turning heads  Grin

Stay Woke!!!

-Graflex SE - Obsidian V4 - Arctic Blue - Adegan Silver foc
-Electrum Wind - Obsidian Lite - Violet Amethyst - no foc
-Prophecy v3 - Obsidian Lite - Adegan Silver - Blazing Red foc
-Dark Initiate v3 - Adegan Silver - Stunt (for now)
-Fulcrum - Emerald - Obsidian v4 - Consular Green
-Chosen One CE - Emerald - Obsidian v4 - Blazing Red
-Lost Gray - Custom Install

My Wood Graflex Build Thread - http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=33641.msg528894#msg528894

sllikskills
Knight Sergeant

Maully Maul

« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2017, 11:32:11 PM »

Also forgot to mention.

Funny story about Gungi's lightsaber, Nathanielreykun. When I started this project I had thought that no one canonically had a wooden lightsaber and the thought appealed to me because I'm a part time woodworker. It wasn't until one of the final steps of finishing up the wood Graflex when I was sitting in my garage with my iPad on Netflix watching the Ahsoka episode where she shows the younglings how to create a lightsaber, and Gungi's lightsaber scene showed up literally the same moment I threaded the last screw to the Graflex. A bit of irony there.

One good thing for you though, is that if you search around, I have seen someone make a super impressively accurate looking Gungi saber before. Not on this forum, but I have seen it. Look it up!

Stay Woke!!!

My Wood Graflex Build Thread - http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=33641.msg528894#msg528894

nathanielreykun
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 40

« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2017, 06:33:12 PM »

Also forgot to mention.

Funny story about Gungi's lightsaber, Nathanielreykun. When I started this project I had thought that no one canonically had a wooden lightsaber and the thought appealed to me because I'm a part time woodworker. It wasn't until one of the final steps of finishing up the wood Graflex when I was sitting in my garage with my iPad on Netflix watching the Ahsoka episode where she shows the younglings how to create a lightsaber, and Gungi's lightsaber scene showed up literally the same moment I threaded the last screw to the Graflex. A bit of irony there.

One good thing for you though, is that if you search around, I have seen someone make a super impressively accurate looking Gungi saber before. Not on this forum, but I have seen it. Look it up!

Ha, that's awesome! 😂
And yeah, I've seen quite a few of those. My personal plan is to purchase a Catalyst and modify it so it looks like Gungi's both inside and out.

Dark Apprentice V4 Stunt
Initiate V3/Mantis Combo Stunt
Aeon V2 Stunt
Reaper Obsidian Lite
Sentinel LE V4 Obsidian V4QR CouplerApprentice LE V4 Obsidian V4
Modified Mantis CE Custom Obsidian V4

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2017, 03:03:47 AM »

This is a beautiful unique saber !  When the electronics are completed, you might consider placing photos in the Saber Gallery Section.  Did you mention what kind of wood that you have used ?  Graflex collectors are going to be so envious.  Wink

amazing point  Cool

MavRick
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 600

May the force be with you! (give light side )

« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2017, 11:07:49 PM »

I will be looking forward to the pics of her all lit up!!  Keep up the good work.

Sabers I own:                                           
 Graflex Tri-cree AB w/sd & bronze buttons
 Consular CG w/sd an silver foc
 Archon CG w/sd an silver foc
 Prophecy CG w/sd an silver foc
 Dorinian SRD w/lite sd and AB foc
 Guardian in GB
 Aeon V3 in GB
 Dark Standard Issue BR w/vert grooves
 Dark Apprentice AB (Freebee!)
 Sentinel LE V4 w/windows in SY
 Dark Sentinel LE V5 in AB (raffle prize)
 Initiate LE V4 in GB
 Franken saber in VA
Wish list: Dark Prophecy BR w/sd, dark cat pommel; Azure Dorinian AB; Dominix LE V2 in BR gift for a friend

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2017, 05:34:10 AM »

Sweet, you are back to work on this saber. It is looking great so far, and I can't wait to see how you finish it.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

sllikskills
Knight Sergeant

Maully Maul

« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2017, 06:47:04 PM »

So glad to see all the love for this build. Gives me SUCH a sense of satisfaction.

Taegin! MavRick! Dauntless! Names I haven't seen in a while but so excited to hear from. Crazy how life can get so busy sometimes that it grasps you and pulls you away from the things you love to do. I went from spending like a thousand dollars in my first month of stepping into the world of lightsabers, to winning the Emerald prize that same month, to even starting to build this lightsaber in the same month and meeting all you cool people online, to then all of a sudden a huge business trip, my brothers wedding, and back to back DJing, which led to my lightsabers all stuffed under my bed collecting dust, only taking them out to make sure that I'm keeping the batteries charged, then putting them back.

But as soon as I logged back in and saw some of these comments, the bug hit me full force again, and not only did I go ahead an wipe off the dust on all my sabers, but I wiped off the dust on the lightsaber passion (I know, corny.) Guess that's how you know if you got a really good hobby or not  Roll Eyes

Sorry for the rant Grin but...

I'M BACCK!!!!!

SLLIKSKILLS IS BACK BABYYY!!!!!

Stay Woke!!!

sllikskills
Knight Sergeant

Maully Maul

« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2017, 06:54:07 PM »

Nathanielreykun,

Let me know if you need any pointers or help! It'll bring me joy if I can save some one from a mistake or two, because trust me - I've made all of the mistakes in the book at one point or another!

Dauntless,

That's a good idea. I actually just realized that I also completed an install of the Lost Gray - I never posted it. I should do that too . Thanks for the reminder. As for the wood used, I tried a few - I originally wanted to use Cocobolo cause it's awesome grain pattern. But I ended up screwing that up completely LOL. Ended up buying a wood dowel on ebay that was already the proper 1.5" in diameter. They just said "hardwood dowel" so not exactly sure what species it is

As for Graflex enthusiasts, guilty as charged! You're looking at one  Grin
I am totally a sucker for Graflexes, I personally have four (including this build and the plastic hasbro one) but also an ultrasabers SE, and an actual Graflex prop.

I somehow managed to score Thursday and Sunday badges for San Diego Comic Con, so I am going to try to finish this up so I can bring it with me fully installed! It's going to turn heads!! Will make sure to post some pictures of this bad boy at the Con. You're right Graflex peeps will be in awe.

Stay Woke!!!

sllikskills
Knight Sergeant

Maully Maul

« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2017, 07:02:48 PM »

ALRIGHT NOW TIME FOR SOME UPDATES

I've been going Gung Ho on this ever since I logged back in and saw some buzz around the post! Can't wait to finish her up, and at this rate, I should be done this week!

Here are some awesome pics to look at:

Trying to figure out which order of the pieces should go together to fit inside the hilt the best - This Graflex will have a crystal chamber with a UV light as well !!

Decided to go with a Tri Cree custom: Royal Blue/Blue/White for this one. The darker blue will contrast really well with the bright colored wood stain for an awesome look (I hope). Soldering it was a pain, but it's all done!

Still trying to figure out how I want to mount the led module to the rest of the chassis, but probably just going to end up using a healthy amount of epoxy. Only downside is, if an led burns out or a wire disconnects, there won't really be a good way to dissassemble the chassis once epoxy is involved heheh. Oh well, go hard or go home

And finally, a nice shot of the chassis and the hilt side by side. As you can see, I'm already charging up the battery, CANT WAIT!!

Only thing left that has been a real headscratcher is how I'm going to integrate the switch into the hilt. Will definitely require some finesse, but I've gone too far to stop at this step! Time to get'errr doonneee!

Be ready for some awesome pictures soon guys

Stay Woke!!!

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2017, 02:11:22 AM »

Taegin! MavRick! Dauntless! Names I haven't seen in a while but so excited to hear from. Crazy how life can get so busy sometimes that it grasps you and pulls you away from the things you love to do.

I know, just with work alone, I almost don't have time to get on. Plus all my other activities. Still, glad to see you back around.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

justmutantjed
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 10

I prefer to stay close to neutral.

« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2017, 11:33:09 PM »

Wowowow!!! That's amaze-balls! Well done, sllikskills! Shocked Keep up the good work!

There are neither light or dark side; The Force is a vast and beautiful rainbow. I would seek neutrality and balance in and through the Force.
Sabers owned:
Shock with RGBW Emerald (SRD, Pulse: EG, FoC: AB) and Obsidian v4 Sound, Recharge Port, non-illuminated AV Switch.
Dark Catalyst in Blazing Red w/ Red-illuminated AV Switch and Obsidian V3 Sound.
Dominix LE v3 in Adegan Silver (standard setup).

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: