Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: New on the forum and just purchased my first Ultrasabers!  (Read 2197 times)
Niels
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 31

« on: January 08, 2017, 05:56:43 PM »

Hello There,

Huge SW fan from Europe here. As a responsible parent one of my main missions in life has been to indoctrinate... ehm introduce the love for Star Wars to my offspring. My son is six years old now and we are enjoying SW a lot with SW themed Lego, video games (SW Lego/Disney Infinity), books etcetera. It is safe to say that we are genuine Star Wars enthousiasts, except for the mrs, but she tolerates it so that's cool.

Last month I finally deemed my son ready and we had the glorious moments of watching the original trilogy together. After this holy trinity we have also watched TPM and TFA (all with some minor scene skipping to prevent nightmares...).

As you can imagine, by now my son and I are constantly beating each other up with anything that remotely resembles a lightsaber. We have had some cheap toy store sabers but with our hardcore smashing those wouldn't last longer than a week tops. Long story short(er), I finally purchased our first "real" combat grade lightsabers from Ultrasabers. After a long struggle within my thoughts about the spending of hundreds of dollars on two glowing sticks, the dark (or was it light?) side won and made me order two lightsabers for my kid and I to enjoy.

I have ordered two Apprentice V4 sabers in staff set-up (so my son can have his Darth Maul moments). He definitely wanted a (consular) green saber because his favorite movie is ROTJ (Ewoks...) and Luke's saber is green in that movie. Of course there was no discussion about the other blade, it needed to be blazing red, because we do need a lot of good old 'good vs evil' fights. Even though I tend to root for the 'good' guys most of the time I like the individual dark side characters better (Roque One made me fist pumping during Vader's epic scene). Ah well, perhaps my son can redeem me someday just like Luke did with Vader.

Been doubting for long time on hilt types, blade lenghts, no sound vs sound (Obsidian made my wallet hurt), Tri Cree vs FOC and so on. A few hours after I finally placed my order I changed my mind about some stuff, but Marlena from Ultrasabers was very kind to help me out and update my order configuration.

Final configuration: 2x Apprentice V4 hilt with windowed emitters (staff config, but will mostly be used separated), 1x Tri blazing red (silver hilt), 1x Tri consular green (LE silver/gold hilt). Been heavily doubting about FOC, it looks so cool on video, but decided to opt for the brighter tri cree LED's instead as I suspect the FOC flashes will drive the mrs., my cat and probably myself insane in te long run. Both with V4 Obsidian soundboards. I have opted for the awesome Arbiter (same as silver Archon) pommels, inspired by this forum post: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=22498.0

I have opted for 32 inch heavy grade blades (these babies will not just be for show...). 24 inch would be way to short for me (I'm about 6"3 tall) and 36 inch would be to long for staff set-up and also for my son in single blade mode. With my height I could probably handle a 36 inch blade, but I used some dummy sticks for size testing and I think 32 inch, which felt quite good overall, will allow for less furniture demolishing when I will be swinging the saber around in the house (we'll probably use them indoors most of the time). I read somewhere that with a 32 inch blade they will be about the same size as a Katana and we all know Katana's are cool.

My son and I are really looking forward for the delivery of the sabers. That's it for my introduction. This last week I have been reading dozens of posts on this great forum to help me make up my mind on what to order. So thanks a lot and may the force be with you!

Niels

- Apprentice V4, Tri Blazing Red, Obsidian V4, Arbiter Pommel
- Apprentice V4 LE, Tri Consular Green, Obsidian V4, Arbiter Pommel
- Initiate V2 LE, Guardian Blue
- Crimson Scorpion, Emerald, Obsidian V4 (Winter Raffle 1st prize)

KraytDragonPearl
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 609

Light Side Points

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 06:11:30 PM »

Welcome to the Forum,

I also started my son with his first US saber at 6 years old.  The Apprentice and Initiate lines are great sabers for your son and he will love them.  Knowing that you both will be dueling with heavy grade blades make sure to acquire some good protective gear.  I would suggest that you get some Lacrosse gloves to protect your knuckles from your son.  If he is anything like mine, he will aim for your hands and it will hurt.   Grin
Since you are an adult and have better control over your actions he shouldn't need too much gear, but you will both figure it out as you go.

Feel free to ask questions and we will do what we can to assist you in whatever way we can.  The only thing that we ask is that you use the Search function first (icon with photo and magnifying glass), as another member may have asked the same question and already received an answer. If you have no luck in your search then just make sure you post the question in the appropriate thread.  The members here are very helpful and have no problems answering your questions. 

MTFBWY

KDP

Own: Lost Gray, Obsidian V4, Tri-C AS; Fulcrum, Obsidian V4, Tri-C AS; Nickel-plated Guardian, (Emerald), Obsidian V3; Arbiter, Obsidian V3, GB; Archon V3 Tri-C FO Obsidian V4; Manticore, Obsidian V3, VA; Phantasm V4, BH; Dark Sentinel, BR; Dominix V2, RGB; Dark Initiate V2 x3 (BR, CG, GB); Initiate LE V2 x2, CG.

Want: Bellicose, Prophecy V3

Niels
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 06:15:26 PM »

Thanks KraytDragonPearl. That's some sound advice regarding the gloves especially since he's already beating up my knuckles a lot with our makeshift sabers.

Lord Raváge
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1453

Ki tsimsima tuti mazo Galactic, Nu qorit dudnims!

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 08:06:14 PM »

Labintias sulig tave Jen' Garthaz iv SoCal, bustas iv tave Tsis!!! Cool
(Greetings from the Dark Side of SoCal, domicile of the Sith)

Ilsir geuj ne fanvake narys stai su zo plethora iv neyasli varsi ir uverei. Dary nenx dvejoti kia uzpra jok falykas j'us galez zinot ir kaiefas valia cali ax sorms j'us is tave status direction.
(There are so many helpful members here with a plethora of varied experience and opinions. Don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have and someone will answer or point you in the right direction.)

Zhelosa kia tu'iea kitok addiction! Grin
(Welcome to your new addiction!)

Galez Akuyi Buti Su J'us!
(May The Force Be With You!)

Darth Genji
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -58

Dark Side Points!!!

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 11:35:13 PM »

Welcome! And glad to have you with us here on board the SaberForum! Smiley

"This is also the reason there can only be one Dark Lord.  The Sith must be ruled by a single leader: the very embodiment of the strength and power of the dark side.  If the leader grows weak another must rise to seize the mantle.  The strong rule; the weak are meant to serve.  This is the way it must be.
My time here is ended.  Take what I have taught you and use it well."

Dark Side Points only please! Thank you! Smiley

12/30/16 - Dark Apprentice LE V4 w/ Sound (Tri-Cree Consular Green)
01/09/17 - Apprentice LE V4 w/ Sound (Tri-Cree Fire Orange)

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -473

Either you like Star Wars... Or you're wrong.

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 03:50:43 AM »

Welcome and thanks for sharing your story buying your first sabers. I really enjoyed reading how you introduced your son to Star Wars. How fun watching the trilogy with him for his first time, and now come the lightsabers! Coolest Dad ever! 👍🏻

I really like your choices on the saber. I'm 6'2" and have started to like the 32 inch blades better myself. They illuminate more fully and noticeably lighter. I much prefer Tri-Cree over FoC, too.

Glad you're here with us.

My Top 3 Favorite Sabers: Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand and Shock LE

Kai-Yen
Knight Major

Force Alignment: 123

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 06:07:15 AM »

Welcome Niels - looking forward to seeing pictures of you family light saber duels soon.

There's a wealth of knowledge here on the Forum here when you are ready to graduate to sound/more advanced lightsabers offered by Ultrasabers.

Best of luck and welcome again.

K

Sabers Owned:  Azure Reaper (AB), Crimson Reaper (AS), Apprentice (BH).

Niels
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 11:00:30 AM »

Thank you all for the warm words of welcome, I really like the tone/attitude of the conversations on this forum.

@Kai-Yen, I actually configured the sabers with the V4 soundboard, so really looking forward to it   Smiley

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 07:08:36 PM »

Welcome, My first and only saber(so far) is a Dark Apprentice. I absolutely love it. It is small and light, but still big enough for me to wield 2 handed if I choose. I have heard excellent reports on the Tri-Cree LEDs, so I'm sure you will enjoy them, although they are plenty bright without them. Everybody here loves seeing pictures if you're so inclined. So feel free to post some.

Again, welcome.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Niels
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 07:15:18 PM »

Welcome, My first and only saber(so far) is a Dark Apprentice. I absolutely love it. It is small and light, but still big enough for me to wield 2 handed if I choose. I have heard excellent reports on the Tri-Cree LEDs, so I'm sure you will enjoy them, although they are plenty bright without them. Everybody here loves seeing pictures if you're so inclined. So feel free to post some.

Again, welcome.

Good to hear you are so happy with your Dark Apprentice. I will post some pictures on the forum as soon as my order will be delivered to me.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 07:21:06 PM »

Good to hear you are so happy with your Dark Apprentice. I will post some pictures on the forum as soon as my order will be delivered to me.

Looking forward to seeing them.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

MavRick
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 600

May the force be with you! (give light side )

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 12:01:47 AM »

Hello and welcome to the forums. MTFBWY!

Sabers I own:                                           
 Graflex Tri-cree AB w/sd & bronze buttons
 Consular CG w/sd an silver foc
 Archon CG w/sd an silver foc
 Prophecy CG w/sd an silver foc
 Dorinian SRD w/lite sd and AB foc
 Guardian in GB
 Aeon V3 in GB
 Dark Standard Issue BR w/vert grooves
 Dark Apprentice AB (Freebee!)
 Sentinel LE V4 w/windows in SY
 Dark Sentinel LE V5 in AB (raffle prize)
 Initiate LE V4 in GB
 Franken saber in VA
Wish list: Dark Prophecy BR w/sd, dark cat pommel; Azure Dorinian AB; Dominix LE V2 in BR gift for a friend

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2017, 09:46:24 PM »

Welcome! Great to see parents passing the SW love on - you're going to have such a blast with your 'sabres Cheesy

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

gpm
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 11

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2017, 09:07:32 PM »

Hey Hey

Similar story here got my Daughter an initiate after TFA we spent all summer battling it out in the yard, parks, work and well just about anywhere.  I highly recommend gloves as well.  Seems lightsabers on earth are not so sticky when they make contact and without any kind of guard fingers and knuckles can take a beating.  I would also imagine your son is like my daughter and when in full role play there are no soft swings.  She attacks like Asoka on an inquisitor. 

cheers

For the Light
Archon v2.1 C.G.
Initiate v3 A.S.

Spoiler79
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 8

Chillin'

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2017, 09:57:04 PM »

Welcome to SaberForums!  I just joined the other day myself. Nice collection you're starting with. Again welcome!

Archon V2.1-OBV4 in Guardian Blue*
Initiate V4-OB LITE in Guardian Blue (Son)
Consular (x2)-both w/ OBV4 in Consular Green*
Dominix LE V2-Stunt saber in Consular Green-(2016/17 Winter Raffle 4th Prize!)
Dominix LE V4-OB LITE in Blazing Red*
Prophecy V3-OB LITE in Arctic Blue*
The Guardian-OBV4 in Guardian Blue*

*-(FOC Silver)
[Lightside Points Appreciated]

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: