Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Author Topic: In-Hilt colour switching . . . mk5 (rotary switch)  (Read 8133 times)
RevanReborn
Technomancer of the Graflex Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1086

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2017, 05:08:19 PM »

Congrats!  Glad you got that done!  Smiley

Now here's the real important question:  When did you get a Renegade SE???!!!

That's not the Emitter from your LE  . . . that's an SE.

I'd also love to see a good pic of all the wiring; that must be intense.

yeah, what he said!

JediXIX
Alchemist of the Sentinel Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1172

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2017, 03:33:08 AM »

Thank you for all the kind words everyone . . .  Smiley

A recharge port was always on the cards, but I did my best to try and avoid one . . . only because my top preference is as few obstructions as possible to spoil the clean lines of a hilt . . . my next one will have a recessed main switch, no bezel, and there could be a recessed recharge port on one of these in the future as well, time will tell . . .

Bloody hell!

I just dont even have words for how awesome this is man! truly losfer words

Off Topic here . . . CVB, I really hope that was an intentional Iron Maiden drop . . . I'm a big fan from their stuff in the 80's . . . even have this on a t shirt  Grin

All the points Jed - fantastic!  Congrats on finding the end of the tunnel with this project and I hope you are very satisfied with such an epic accomplishment.  Shmexy bro Grin  Love the custom Overlord too it makes a very attractive host for this set up.

Question - do you feel like the internals are stable enough for any sparring?  Or would this be better suited for spinning, belt candy and to show friends and family?

So far so good . . . . always go thru a testing phase with these experiments . . . holding up well to light / medium duelling, but I haven't put a HG blade in it just yet . . .

Amazing! I'd love to try to do copy this if I can!!!

If I may ask, where do you get these LED Modules?

US will sell you an RGGB module or MLS if you ask nicely, even pre-wired to the star . . .

Congrats!  Glad you got that done!  Smiley

Now here's the real important question:  When did you get a Renegade SE???!!!

That's not the Emitter from your LE  . . . that's an SE.

I'd also love to see a good pic of all the wiring; that must be intense.

you noticed that  Wink

all will be revealed some time in the future . . .  Cool

I've decided to keep this setup and hilt, it's just so much fun . . . but I want to change the Gold colour with another resistor to make it a little more yellow, so I'll pull this apart and take some pics of the current wiring . . . hopefully over the next week or so . . .

Remember... The Force will be with you... Always . . . (Just let it in)

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2017, 11:51:30 AM »

Wow Jed!

Very inventive, and so clean looking.   Shocked Shocked

You're always right on the cutting edge of saber madness - love it. Grin

+1 for awesome, and I can't wait to see what you come up with next. Smiley

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

CyberKyber
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: -432

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2017, 12:11:29 PM »

Points points points! This is amazing! You should consider proposing this to US as an addition to their options!

Lightsabers:
Counterfeit/Violent Darth Vader lightsaber (ROTJ look)- reaper emitter, warglaive body, T-grips, Heiland/MPP activation clamp -
Emerald driver + Obsidian V4 - Crimson red
Menace SE staff - BR
Chosen Once CE - Obs V4 Deep Red (custom)
Graflex SE - Obs V4 GB
Archon V3.1 - Obs V4 Viridian green (custom lime+cyan)
War glaive/reaper hybrid, raven style - Deep Red/FO
Custom Prophecy V3 (Anakin AotC) -Medium Blue (custom)
Dominix V3 LE - CG
Apprentice LE (with black grip) - VA
Aeon V3 - TRI GB
Dominix V2 - SD

doomblade0
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -21

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2017, 12:35:11 AM »

US will sell you an RGGB module or MLS if you ask nicely, even pre-wired to the star . . .

Thanks!....also
I am VERY new to electronics...so I apologize if this is a dumb question.
what does he mean they will pre-wire is to the star? like they will have 4 separate wires for each light?

Haha I'd love to do what he has done with his saber, but i don't know much.

Thanks for any responses/advice to my questions!  I really appreciate them!
Grab Bag Stunts:
Aeon v4 - Blazing Red
Standard Issue - Fire Orange

Corwyn VonBeck
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -340

Grey Knight

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2017, 12:58:55 AM »

Thank you for all the kind words everyone . . .  Smiley

A recharge port was always on the cards, but I did my best to try and avoid one . . . only because my top preference is as few obstructions as possible to spoil the clean lines of a hilt . . . my next one will have a recessed main switch, no bezel, and there could be a recessed recharge port on one of these in the future as well, time will tell . . .

Off Topic here . . . CVB, I really hope that was an intentional Iron Maiden drop . . . I'm a big fan from their stuff in the 80's . . . even have this on a t shirt  Grin

Big Orra! Cheesy 
Yup, been a big fan since the early 80's when a classmate played me his brand new 'Live after Death' album. Nearly bought one of those TSshirts myself! lol

doomblade0
Knight Officer

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2017, 12:07:20 AM »

Does the rotary switch work to change the colors even if the saber is off?

Grab Bag Stunts:
Aeon v4 - Blazing Red

Calculon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 435

We Will Win!

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2017, 02:39:49 AM »

Whole'notha'rebel!
Plusages!

The Wolfpack Lives!

JediXIX
Alchemist of the Sentinel Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1172

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2017, 06:13:25 AM »

Thanks guys . . .

Thanks!....also
I am VERY new to electronics...so I apologize if this is a dumb question.
what does he mean they will pre-wire is to the star? like they will have 4 separate wires for each light?

Haha I'd love to do what he has done with his saber, but i don't know much.

No dumb questions, we all start somewhere . . . part of the learning  Smiley

In this one I’ve used an RGGB MLS unit . . . Some people call the actual chip the LED diodes are mounted on a MCPCB (printed circuit board) or some call it a “star” . . . If you want to see the ones I’ve received from US see here http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=27654.msg418781#msg418781 . . . And, yes, if you ask US nicely they will sell you a pre-wired RGGB with a + & - wire soldered to each pad on the star (4 positive and 4 negative) . . . for what I’ve done here I do the colour mixing on the positive side and connect all the negatives together for a common negative . . .

Does the rotary switch work to change the colors even if the saber is off?

Yep

Ok, so I took this apart over the weekend, added a resistor to the red wire for my Gold blade colour to make it a little more yellow and took some pics of the wiring and things . . .

The current homemade chassis

dismantled

The battery pack is wedged into the cutout, I had thought about gluing it in or using double sided tape but I haven’t needed to

I had excessive wire on all the components here, partly because this was the quickest way to put it together

This is the space for the BuckPuck & m/l converter with all the extra wire & connectors

take out the retention screw for the switch and all the colour changing wiring can slide out

remove the tape, it’s a bit messy

I’ve taken this pic showing the wiring I can reduce and clean up (to the left of the allen wrench), all those connectors and extra wire don’t need to be there, and I’m sure I can fit a similar setup in the reduced space in a Sentinel v4 or Standard Issue v3 (you can see the length of the smaller chassis I’d need for a Sentinel)

Just a note of the component that lets this all work . . . it’s a small 1A diode that allows current to only flow one way around a circuit . . . these have to be added to any colour channel that uses more than one of the LED colours in it’s mix

Also . . . while I’m here, I thought I’d share some other things . . .

When I wire up the main LED wires I set them to one side and heat shrink them in place so the wires are guided down one side of the hilt cavity next to the switch, this is especially helpful when using a v3 or v4 hilt where the LED module sits resting against the switch and stops wires or solder joins being pressed against the switch . . .

In my last builds, I’ve used a 4 way connector for my LED positive wires and a 2 way connector for my common negative

but the seller I buy these from also have a 6 way connector so in the future I want to wire the 4 positive and common negative into the one connector for less clutter, the 6 way is on the right and not much bigger than the 4 way

Also . . . I thought this pic could be helpful . . . this shows the basic circuit principle I’m using with these builds . . . the positive from the BuckPuck connected to the yellow wire “into” the rotary switch . . . then the 12 “channel” wires, resistors & diodes back down the 4 positive wires to the LED module . . . then the common negative back to the BuckPuck . . .

I forgot to mention this in my last post, but I don't like the domed momentary switch in conjunction with a m/l converter (sorry Lord C) it was very easy to knock while dueling or spinning and while it looks sensational and feels very nice in its motion I've replaced it with a latching av on this build . . . I might try it again on a saber with sound, but I'd guess the same thing would happen and it would be too easy to knock and engage the lock-up FoC . . .

I’ve added the resistor to the red wire for my gold colour, wired up a black short latching av switch, took some of Kouri’s advice and put the switch before the BuckPuck, wired a couple of connectors to the battery pack, ready to re- install

taped up the wiring, and put everything back in the chassis

Tested everything and re-installed in the hilt

New Gold blade colour, the last one was a little too amber so I added a 0.5ohm resistor to the red in the R+G mix

A couple of final things . . . swapped out the pommel for a standard Aeon v4 vented pommel . . . and used a black Menace knurled screw instead of the blue

and the black short latching av

This prototype is a bit overly complicated and for my next one I’ll make it a little simpler, this will also reduce the wiring for the colour mixing . . . at the moment I have my notes, and the ideas in my mind, and for the next one I’ll take some progress pics doing the wiring as I go and might even do a wiring diagram if anyone is interested . . .

cheers Smiley

Remember... The Force will be with you... Always . . . (Just let it in)

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2017, 06:25:19 AM »

Wow, brother . . . simply amazing.

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

Jediseth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 828

"If I told you, you wouldn't like it." Han Solo

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2017, 06:28:36 AM »

Heck ya we're interested. I'm thinking hard about making a chassy. I'm guessing your just cutting out pipe from the hardware store. This is all very impressive, impressive indeed.

Guardian : GB, FOC Red, V4, 11-15                        Reaper: V4, BR, 4-17
Chosen One CE : Emerald, V4, 12-15
Consular: Emerald V4, 1-16
Manticore: BR, FOC Orange, QD, V4, 11-16
Monarch: Emerald, V4, 2016 Autumn Raffle -1st
Arbiter: V4, SD, Silver FOC, QD, 3-17
Archon V2.1, Diamond, 4-17

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2017, 06:40:00 AM »

That thing is amazing. I love that emitter there. Point.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Corwyn VonBeck
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -340

Grey Knight

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2017, 05:30:35 PM »

That is some awesome work there Jed! just the thought of the wiring setup in that thing gives me a headache! lol

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2017, 09:05:27 PM »

All I can think to say is:  Wow, dude!   Shocked

doomblade0
Knight Officer

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2017, 11:01:39 PM »

Thanks for answering my questions!
So awesome, can't wait till I get the time to try to replicate it!!

Also, DEFINITELY interested in any diagram you create!
Can't wait to see your future projects!

Grab Bag Stunts:
Aeon v4 - Blazing Red

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: