Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Gundam Exia SD Build WIP- Mobile Suit Gundam OO (pic heavy)  (Read 4206 times)
B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 3214

You can't take the sky from me....

« on: January 13, 2017, 03:34:07 PM »

Soooo.... I'm far enough in the build that its starting to look something like what it is meant to, so I'm going to start sharing photos Smiley Keep an eye on this space!

Since I am far from skinny enough to fit inside a normal Exia suit, I decided to make an SD version:

Early build photos:

Current progress:

Next is finishing the sides and making the GN drive for the back.

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

archon v2.1, consular, dominix v3 LE, bellicose, 2x dark initiate v3 LE, dark initiate v2 LE, Aeonix v2, raven, 2x shock, 2x manticore, electrum wind em/v4 obs

Darth Ominous
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: -13

Dark side points please, and thank you.

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 03:53:01 PM »

Awesome work Smiley. I think I'm going to use foam to build my Savage Opress costume. I think hardest part for me will be the making of the patterns for his armor. Any tips for a first time builder?

Sabers so far:
Aeon LE V3 (stunt) green
Aeon LE V4 (stunt) blue
Dark Liberator (stunt) red
Phantom V4 saber staff (stunt) red
Black Scorpion x2 saber staff w/ v4 sound orange w/ red foc
Azure Menace w/ v3 sound blue
Kyberlight V1 multi color

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 04:18:36 PM »

Awesome work Smiley. I think I'm going to use foam to build my Savage Opress costume. I think hardest part for me will be the making of the patterns for his armor. Any tips for a first time builder?

Have you had a look to see if there are any pepakura files/ templates for it? It is easier making stuff from existing patterns, even if you need to adjust them to fit you Smiley

Tips- watch vids, talk to people about methods they use to build. I started by watching foam ironman build vids (can't remember the youtube channel) and another popular one is Evil Ted, and I still keep learning new stuff constantly from my friends. When it comes to any build- scratch build or template build- take it one step at a time. You need to be able to see the big picture and keep working towards it. There will be times you feel dishearted coz things aren't quite working out properly, but patience and persistence are very important. If you are stubborn and determined enough then things will end up working out. Also remember that it doesn't matter if you make mistakes- either you will find some way to fix it, or accept it because you will probably be the only one who will see said mistakes Smiley you will learn so much just by doing, just keep trying and finding ways to do things that work for you Smiley

Also, foam is amazingly versatile. You can drill it, sand it, mould it with a heat gun, use multiple different types of glues on it. Use slightly different types of EVA foam for different purposes (some are more dense and thick than others) and use thinner craft foam for detailing work.

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

archon v2.1, consular, dominix v3 LE, bellicose, 2x dark initiate v3 LE, dark initiate v2 LE, Aeonix v2, raven, 2x shock, 2x manticore, electrum wind em/v4 obs

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 04:44:14 PM »

I always enjoy seeing your projects, as you're one of the craftiest cosplayers around here.  This one looks like it's off to a great start.

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 05:05:02 PM »

I always enjoy seeing your projects, as you're one of the craftiest cosplayers around here.  This one looks like it's off to a great start.

Awwww! Thanks hun! Cheesy +1 point for such nice words Cheesy

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

Dizzy Darth Vizzy
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -24

Fear The Dizzy Side Of The Force...

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 01:20:48 AM »

Very impressive - how long have you been building it, and, if I may ask, what is your budget on this project?   

Jeadus Teal
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 203

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 08:30:03 AM »

Soooo.... I'm far enough in the build that its starting to look something like what it is meant to, so I'm going to start sharing photos Smiley Keep an eye on this space!

Since I am far from skinny enough to fit inside a normal Exia suit, I decided to make an SD version:

Early build photos:

Current progress:

Next is finishing the sides and making the GN drive for the back.

This costume will be brilliant when finished. Great thinking B1ondeange1 and point to you.

" Who's the more foolish? The fool, or the fool who follows him?"

“Do or do not. There is no try.”

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 02:42:39 PM »

Very impressive - how long have you been building it, and, if I may ask, what is your budget on this project?   

Um... Over two weekends and maybe a couple of evenings? Not two whole weekends either... Sooooo so far, maybe a few days. No more than 4-5 days worth. I started work on it months back and put it aside for more urgent projects.

I don't really set budgets, and I have no idea exactly how much foam ill need. Since almost all things are transferable between projects it can be a difficult one to sort out. So far... Well I've bought 7x 4 packs of foam mats. Dunno if ill need that many though, but they woulda been about $12 ea on sale (remember I work in Aussie dollars, which is a lot more than American plus these kinds of things are cheaper comparatively in the US). Paint we will buy and put thru the gun ourselves rather than spray cans. I cant get the exact colours I want in cheaper acrylics and buying automotive paint on my discount ain't much more expensive so to hell with it, ill buy the expensive paint again coz then I can colour match to exactly what I want Tongue paint is always the expensive part, probably a good $100-150. But the paint we buy will also be used on hubbys gundam build, so it's not like all that paint is for mine alone.

By the time we light it up, track down white gloves... I'd imagine a couple hundred in materials, or a bit less. Build hours will be huge though. It's hard to put a dollar value on armour builds. When it comes to armour you can either build cheap and quick and have lower quality, or you can go high quality and either take a long time to build or sink a lot of money into something (or both).

The building process is part of the enjoyment though Smiley

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017, 02:53:51 PM »

ARE YOU KIDDING ME??!!

That looks amazing so far B1onde!

You're so creative, and like SFD mentioned, your costumes are always a treat to see. Smiley

I'll be watching this build very closely indeed. Grin

+1 all day.

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2017, 03:39:05 PM »

ARE YOU KIDDING ME??!!

That looks amazing so far B1onde!

You're so creative, and like SFD mentioned, your costumes are always a treat to see. Smiley

I'll be watching this build very closely indeed. Grin

+1 all day.

Lol, thanks Smiley

Sadly no more work got done this weekend. Saturday we did a wedding in the Spartan costumes, today we were up bright and early and went out filming on 'Tattooine' all day. Sand, heat, wind, more sand and more wind... But omfg. The fun, the laughs! And M4QT got his own photoshoot Cheesy

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

Rapine
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2017, 03:40:58 PM »

Lol, thanks Smiley

Sadly no more work got done this weekend. Saturday we did a wedding in the Spartan costumes, today we were up bright and early and went out filming on 'Tattooine' all day. Sand, heat, wind, more sand and more wind... But omfg. The fun, the laughs! And M4QT got his own photoshoot Cheesy
Right - I totally remember reading about that wedding. Smiley

Did you post any pics anywhere yet?

M4QT??!!

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2017, 04:55:39 PM »

M4QT??!!

I can help there:

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=27148.0

My favorite project hers.  She and her husband did an awesome job on it.  Grin

Rapine
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2017, 05:37:57 PM »

I can help there:

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=27148.0

My favorite project hers.  She and her husband did an awesome job on it.  Grin

Oh right - the droid. Smiley

I did see that.

Dizzy Darth Vizzy
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -24

Fear The Dizzy Side Of The Force...

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2017, 06:54:55 PM »

Yep, I know exactly what it's like to build something from the ground up.  I prefer to save up for the project and put a bunch of money into it and savor the building process.  I've done this with building bikes, computers, and now a lightsaber (saving my money for an Emerald Guardian Obsidian v4).  My motto is, do it ONCE and do it RIGHT.

Very cool then, can't wait to see the finished product!  +1  

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2017, 12:00:18 AM »

Yep, I know exactly what it's like to build something from the ground up.  I prefer to save up for the project and put a bunch of money into it and savor the building process.  I've done this with building bikes, computers, and now a lightsaber (saving my money for an Emerald Guardian Obsidian v4).  My motto is, do it ONCE and do it RIGHT.

Very cool then, can't wait to see the finished product!  +1  

Yes, I prefer to follow that mentality too. I usually take a longer time to get stuff done because I'm careful about it and a bit of a perfectionist. The result is that I often get congratulated about my clean joins and overall work.

Pics of M4 will come- followed by a video of him on Tattooine over the next few weeks when our friend has the time to edit Wink

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: