Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: What part of Star Wars appeals to you?  (Read 4735 times)
Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« on: January 14, 2017, 12:08:20 AM »

So, I have been watching a few Star Wars fan films on YouTube recently.  One thing became very clear when reading through the comment section is that while there are millions of fans out there for the galaxy far far away, nobody can agree on what it is exactly about the universe that Lucas created that people like.

Some people view it being all about the Jedi and their teachings, some view it as the conflict between the Jedi/Sith. Others want it to focus more on smugglers, the Rebellion, the senate etc. Bearing in mind these have all been about fan films (although some comments drew it back to the cinematic releases) I would be interested to get the opinions of the forum.

1- What is it about Star Wars that appeals to you? (Jedi/Sith/smugglers/whatever)
2- What areas do you think Star Wars should focus on more?
3- What areas do you think Star Wars should focus on less?

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 01:09:17 AM »

1- What is it about Star Wars that appeals to you? (Jedi/Sith/smugglers/whatever)

All of it.

All of it.

Stupid love stories.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 01:23:45 AM »

So, I have been watching a few Star Wars fan films on YouTube recently.  One thing became very clear when reading through the comment section is that while there are millions of fans out there for the galaxy far far away, nobody can agree on what it is exactly about the universe that Lucas created that people like.

Some people view it being all about the Jedi and their teachings, some view it as the conflict between the Jedi/Sith. Others want it to focus more on smugglers, the Rebellion, the senate etc. Bearing in mind these have all been about fan films (although some comments drew it back to the cinematic releases) I would be interested to get the opinions of the forum.

I like the saber duels best.  The ongoing conflict/hatred between Jedi and Sith is what really got me.  That first scene with Vader and Obi Wan back in '77 was it for me.  Add spaceships, blasters, and aliens, and my six year old self was done.
I'd like to see more of that conflict, and less politics.  We have enough of that on this planet.

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 02:49:45 AM »

1.)  The Force and the Warriors (light and dark) who wield it and the saber.

2.) More on the history of the Jedi/Sith

3.) Less "Romance" and politics.  Not completely gone..just lessened.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 04:14:41 AM »

I think it's just the universe in general that appeals to me.  Thousands of star systems and their various races coexisting and interacting like it's perfectly normal.  Technology just exists and is treated as if it's always been there, because most of it has existed for tens of thousands of years and is known by all, so no long winded explanations are necessary.  It's such a rich universe that would take forever to explore.

What should they focus more on?  More alien main characters, I think.  Aliens are given their place in society and have equal says in how things go, yet most main character aliens are relegated to sidekick roles.

What should they focus less on?  How the Force works and politics.  Politics are boring (to me) and the Force is magic, plain and simple.  Some people feel it, others don't.  We don't need to know why this is so.

Majobu5
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 0

Agent Zero. No points

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 07:57:21 AM »

I've often thought of this, as many women I've encountered all ask "what's so great about it?"

Well, for one, I used to say, 'cuz it's star wars!' But, maybe it was something so different that drew ppl to it. Star trek is something different, but SW differs in that it has the super villain, the classic good vs evil. The LIGHTSABER! Just an awesome weapon.

It's midnight here, so let me make it quick before I ramble.

Appeal: weaponry, characters, powers, ships

Want: a full on battle of Jedi vs sith/dark side. Not singular battles. I mean armies of Jedi vs sith. Visually, that'd be the spit!

Take out: the over obsessive fan base wanting to make canon out of the books/novels. Let it go! Stop being trollish!

No points, just fist bumps baby!

Prowl 1701
Mentor of the Prophecy Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 830

We're all just dreams in the end...

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 08:59:55 AM »

Lightsabers, lightsabers, LIGHTSABERS!!!!!!!

That's why Revenge of the Sith is the best movie.

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 02:34:47 PM »

Take out: the over obsessive fan base wanting to make canon out of the books/novels. Let it go! Stop being trollish!

Yes, please.  I concur with this 1000%.

Fist pump on that one, bro.  Cool

Majobu5
Knight Commander

Agent Zero. No points

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2017, 03:41:48 PM »

Yes, please.  I concur with this 1000%.

Fist pump on that one, bro.  Cool

Perhaps it's not a popular opinion, nor does it belong here, but the a question was asked so I went for it.

Maybe cuz I see more of it here, I draw from that thought, but if it's here, I'm sure it's a shared opinion anywhere there is talk about SW. I read some of the EU but I like the fact that the future is uncertain. I'm sure, TOTALLY 100% SURE, if they drew from the books, and movie'd them, there'd be a complaint about what's in the book, what was left out, book to film bullspit. Like a change in leadership, you're never gonna get an "across the board" higher than 90% approval on anything.

So, in the meantime, gimme a battle!

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2017, 04:35:51 PM »

Maybe cuz I see more of it here, I draw from that thought, but if it's here, I'm sure it's a shared opinion anywhere there is talk about SW. I read some of the EU but I like the fact that the future is uncertain. I'm sure, TOTALLY 100% SURE, if they drew from the books, and movie'd them, there'd be a complaint about what's in the book, what was left out, book to film bullspit. Like a change in leadership, you're never gonna get an "across the board" higher than 90% approval on anything.
I like how Disney have dealt with the old U stuff since they bought Lucasfilm. Wiping the slate clean and starting from scratch, but then cherry picking bits and bobs to shape the official canon.

However, with all the new comics and books released as part of the official canon, I do sometimes feel like Disney is alienating some of their fans - who can keep up with it all? Fortunately, through shows on YouTube like Collider Jedi Council it is possible to know what's happening in the new canon without having to buy/read it all.

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -473

Either you like Star Wars... Or you're wrong.

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2017, 02:36:19 AM »

Oh definitely the Jedi now, but as a kid I loved the X-Wings, the Y-Wings, Tie Fighters, Star Destroyers, Speeder Bikes and Land Speeders. I fantasized about being in all of them, speeding across land and space.
     More back stories because I wanna know more about each of the characters, places and legends, especially more about the early Sith and Jedi.
     Less romance like Anakin and Padme and if there must be romance, more like Han Solo and Leia not taking itself too seriously.

My Top 3 Favorite Sabers: Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand and Shock LE

Majobu5
Knight Commander

Agent Zero. No points

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2017, 08:47:42 PM »

I definitely think a pre film set many decades in the past could work. No tie ins to the future films. No need to bridge them.

I'm interested to see if the new trilogy will end at 9

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2017, 08:57:30 PM »

Disney already stated that they intend to run with SW until it isn't popular anymore.

In other words - milk it to death.

I'm guessing 12, with spin-offs. O_o

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Majobu5
Knight Commander

Agent Zero. No points

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2017, 09:04:05 PM »

Disney already stated that they intend to run with SW until it isn't popular anymore.

Oh really? Well then, could be good, could be too much. One thing is for sure, I'll be watching

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -473

Either you like Star Wars... Or you're wrong.

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2017, 09:06:20 PM »

Ha ha, yeah, that'll happen. 😅😂

Star Wars will live on forever. 

My Top 3 Favorite Sabers: Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand and Shock LE

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: