Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Operation Yin-Yang  (Read 4887 times)
Seano
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: -229

« on: January 14, 2017, 02:38:21 PM »

Last year I had an idea for dual wielding, a Prophecy in AB, and a Dark Prophecy in BR, but alas, the Dark Prophecies were on back-order, and it was unknown when they'd be back in stock. So I bought 2 Prophecies, the AB with AS FOC, and BR with FO FOC (there was a special on FOC at the time, so wanted to make the most of the price drop!)

Now I've had a bit more practice with soldering and painting, I'm game enough to experiment with the BR Prophecy, and have a go with painting it black, but leaving the cut outs silver - I'll also paint the cut outs on the AB black, to go with the theme!

In a couple of weeks, I'll have 5 days off in a row (just a lucky run with my roster, as well as the Australia Day Public Holiday chucked in for good measure!), leaving me with plenty of time to get it right!

Below is a pic of the 2 Prophecies (the black part is an experiment with some Plasti-Dip, which didn't really work out)

Updates and pics to follow!

Ramse Moade the Grey

Current Sabres - Graflex SE in GB & Obsidian V3, Shock in TRI BR (QD's) & Obsidian V3, Customised Dorinian with Diamond Controller, Dark Catalyst in Adegan Silver with Arctic Blue FOC and Obsidian V3 (Customisation WIP)

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 02:41:34 PM »

Why does the AB one look bigger?  Is it just an optical illusion due to it being closer to the camera?

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 07:08:20 PM »

Why does the AB one look bigger?  Is it just an optical illusion due to it being closer to the camera?

Yeah it's just the camera angle - I think the pic was taken horizontally with the blue Prophecy at the bottom and then Seano spun the pic vertically.  Am I right Seano?  Smiley

Last year I had an idea for dual wielding, a Prophecy in AB, and a Dark Prophecy in BR, but alas, the Dark Prophecies were on back-order, and it was unknown when they'd be back in stock. So I bought 2 Prophecies, the AB with AS FOC, and BR with FO FOC (there was a special on FOC at the time, so wanted to make the most of the price drop!)

Now I've had a bit more practice with soldering and painting, I'm game enough to experiment with the BR Prophecy, and have a go with painting it black, but leaving the cut outs silver - I'll also paint the cut outs on the AB black, to go with the theme!

In a couple of weeks, I'll have 5 days off in a row (just a lucky run with my roster, as well as the Australia Day Public Holiday chucked in for good measure!), leaving me with plenty of time to get it right!

Below is a pic of the 2 Prophecies (the black part is an experiment with some Plasti-Dip, which didn't really work out)

Updates and pics to follow!

I'm looking fwd to this project as your mods and themes are a lot of fun and well thought out.

Loving the two Prophecy sabers and they sure do make an amazing duel wielding pair.

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

Seano
Knight Templar

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 12:02:14 PM »

Yeah it's just the camera angle - I think the pic was taken horizontally with the blue Prophecy at the bottom and then Seano spun the pic vertically.  Am I right Seano?  Smiley

You have the right of it, Hazard, pic taken horizontally, and and rotated when edited! Thanks for the kind words, too, hopefully this project lives up to your expectations!

Ramse Moade the Grey

Current Sabres - Graflex SE in GB & Obsidian V3, Shock in TRI BR (QD's) & Obsidian V3, Customised Dorinian with Diamond Controller, Dark Catalyst in Adegan Silver with Arctic Blue FOC and Obsidian V3 (Customisation WIP)

Isola815
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 594

"Most Redacted"

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 02:27:01 PM »

Hey Seano,

This would be super easy to do with Plasti-dip. If you get yourself a can of black, and a can of glossifier just do the following:

4 dust coats of black. Should be about 5 minutes dry time for each dust coat.
8 - 10 slightly heavier coats over the "hard to reach spots" but not TOO heavy. Plasti-dip self levels, but not when it pools and runs give it 15-20 minutes dry time.
4 solid coats over the whole saber top to toe  - try and give it 20-30 minutes between each coat.

BEFORE YOU DO THE GLOSS, get yourself a PLASTIC razor blade, and because you have a nice thick coating on there now instead of the very thin coats people usually do, you will be able to cut it cleanly without getting tears. The plastic blade also won't scratch up the metal finish. Cut out the choke point, the grip dips or whatever else you want silver and peel away. Just don't tape anything. Taping Plasti-dip projects is a world of hurt.

Then do about 5 or so coats of glossifier, focusing on your "hard to reach" spots quite well, but again don't let it pool or run. Let it dry for about 12 hours and you'll be all set Smiley So you can do it in a day really. Then reassemble the next day!

However that IS $60 worth of Plasti-dip. So I can totally understand wanting to paint it instead. It will just take a lot longer to get a flawless black finish Sad just remember to stock up on lots of 1200 and 2000 grit sandpaper for between each coat if you want a mirror black as gloss black is not very forgiving. Plasti-dip would also have the grippier advantage.

No matter what direction you go I'm looking forward to seeing the design style you wind up with. Point to you for a thread to keep watching! Cheers!

Corwyn VonBeck
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -340

Grey Knight

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 06:21:33 PM »

Gah... I'm doing the same thing! a dark prophecy & a regular, turning them both into takes on the LE version, but coming from 2 different directions... yours is probably gonna kick mines ass! lol

RevanReborn
Technomancer of the Graflex Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1086

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 01:57:05 PM »

What the?!  I swear I already commented on this thread!!  Dang it!

Wicked idea Seano Smiley

Seano
Knight Templar

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 07:36:47 AM »

Stage 1 complete - damn, they like to use a lot of glue to hold the A/V switch in place! I'll be using a half-bolt to hold my silver A/V switch in place when it arrives.

I saw a YouTube video of someone deconstructing their Standard Issue, which is where I got the idea to unscrew the LED module from its casing, then passing it through the hilt with the wiring intact, therefore negating the issue of cutting the wires.

Also, got the idea of switching the bezels and A/V switches from JediXIX to stay in the theme - http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=26110.0

Next step, cleaning down the hilt, and the first coat!

Ramse Moade the Grey

JayMeezy
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -17

Darkside points

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 09:53:33 AM »

I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

The Jedi seek to take away your humanity; the sith simply show you how to control it.

Sabers:
The Malice: BR, FoC Silver, Obsidian v4 Sound, Red Illuminated Switch, large claws
The Chosen One SE: BR, FoC Silver, Obsidian v4 Sound
Dark Initiate LE v4(main hand. Built from empty hilt): VA, FoC Silver, NB v3 sound, VA illuminated 12mm Switch
Dark Initiate LE v3 (off hand): VA
Initiate v2: BR

Corwyn VonBeck
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -340

Grey Knight

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 04:21:56 PM »

Hehe, thats why I ended up going empty hilts... didnt relish the idea of having to take it apart without breaking something. Wink

Seano
Knight Templar

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2017, 02:17:10 PM »

Some bad, but also good news - after trying to get the painting right for this, I've decided to just buy a stunt Dark Prophecy, and work on that instead.
On my first attempt, the painting came out looking quite good, but the paint itself still felt tacky, even after curing it in the oven (I bought a cheap small portable oven just for this kind of work, so as not to kill myself with toxic fumes!). I even covered the sabre with a clear top coat, but it still felt tacky after curing.  Angry
So then I stripped the paint back completely, bought myself some black gloss enamel, and after 3 coats, including curing, the paint keeps chipping off.  Angry Angry
That's when I decided, bugger it, I'll just buy a stunt Dark Prophecy, strip the electronics out of it, and replace it with the electronics from my BR Prophecy with FOC. The electronics from the stunt I'll put into the Prophecy I was working on once I've stripped the paint off, and gift it to a friend of mine.

Ramse Moade the Grey

hazard502
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2017, 05:54:15 PM »

A Jedi is capable of adapting and reformulating strategies in the midst of the battle which is what you're doing Seano Smiley
Good on you for coming up with something new, to still enjoy making those Prophecies your own.

doomblade0
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -21

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2017, 01:53:38 AM »

Some bad, but also good news - after trying to get the painting right for this, I've decided to just buy a stunt Dark Prophecy, and work on that instead.
On my first attempt, the painting came out looking quite good, but the paint itself still felt tacky, even after curing it in the oven (I bought a cheap small portable oven just for this kind of work, so as not to kill myself with toxic fumes!). I even covered the sabre with a clear top coat, but it still felt tacky after curing.  Angry
So then I stripped the paint back completely, bought myself some black gloss enamel, and after 3 coats, including curing, the paint keeps chipping off.  Angry Angry
That's when I decided, bugger it, I'll just buy a stunt Dark Prophecy, strip the electronics out of it, and replace it with the electronics from my BR Prophecy with FOC. The electronics from the stunt I'll put into the Prophecy I was working on once I've stripped the paint off, and gift it to a friend of mine.

I recently asked a question about painting...I realize I worded it horribly. I was wondering if painting would make the hilt feel odd too. It's too bad that it does...

What will you do with the old prophecy??

Thanks for any responses/advice to my questions!  I really appreciate them!
Grab Bag Stunts:
Aeon v4 - Blazing Red
Standard Issue - Fire Orange

Seano
Knight Templar

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2017, 08:02:21 AM »

Finally, I have finished Op. Yin Yang - disappointed it didn't turn out how I wanted (black cutouts on the Prophecy, silver cutouts on the Dark Prophecy), but the painting on the cutouts, to my eyes, just wasn't turning out right. So I decided to cut my losses, and just have black and silver contrasting highlights on the 2 sabres -

I think managing to get the light to shine out both of the side holes is due to removing all the glue from around the A/V switch before doing all the prep/painting, then when re-installing all the wiring/LED module, there's a bit more room for the LED module to sit a little bit further down the hilt - I think it looks great with the light shining through both holes!

Ramse Moade the Grey

hazard502
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2017, 08:05:06 PM »

Great photos and your two Prophecy's look fantastic. Points Seano!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: