Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: New saber with obsidian 3 dinging out  (Read 1795 times)
Grindspine
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 21

« on: January 15, 2017, 04:00:31 AM »

I did not find a topic for the "ding... obsidian" sound that occasionally plays.  The obsidian troubleshooting threads that I found did not mention anything like this.

I just received my third saber, first one with sound, today.  During some light sparring with my girlfriend, the new saber will play a "ding... obsidian" sound, then automatically shut off.  Is this from the saber being struck, or is something loose between my switch and sound board?

The saber and sounds are great so far, just did not expect the saber to be automatically shutting off with light sparring.

Any ideas on this?  Links to similar threads (if my search words missed it) would be appreciated too.

Landen Se-Sentien
Shadow Sentinel of the Manticore Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1828

I work in the Darkness in service of the Light

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 04:06:46 AM »

The obsidian lite board has the reputation for the batteries coming loose with contact. The solution is to wrap electrical tape, velcro, or a rubber band around the batteries to hold them in place. You could also take some bubble wrap and put it between the battery pack and hilt to cushion the impact. Li-ion batteries can also do it, but the impact usually needs to be bigger.

It also could be that your batteries are dying. Try charging and/or replacing them.

Signature banner by DarthScrub

Grindspine
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 08:19:47 AM »

I will try wrapping some felt around the battery pack, like I have done with my stunt sabers, tomorrow and check back here.  Is that a possible cause of the "ding" sound that I am hearing from the saber?

I would hope that it isn't the batteries, as I just received this one 12 hours ago.  But, I can try a battery swap too if it persists.

Thank you for the reply!

Landen Se-Sentien
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 08:37:30 AM »

Remember that the batteries will have drained some during shipping, so they won't be fully charged. By most estimates, you can expect 1.5 - 2 hours of use off of the batteries.

I'd start with a battery swap.

Grindspine
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 05:29:12 PM »

It was just a loose battery, fortunately!

The "ding.. obsidian" sound was just the battery reconnecting as it shifted.  Felt was too thick to fit around the battery/soundboard assembly, but a 1/2" strip of double-sided Velcro did the trick wonderfully.

My saber just handled some spinning and light banging with no problem.

Thanks for the troubleshoot!

Landen Se-Sentien
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 07:09:21 PM »

No problem. That's what we're here for.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: