Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Curved Reaper  (Read 5835 times)
Lord Canterbury
Dark Knight of The Scorpion Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1313

Fish Fingers & Custard

« on: January 15, 2017, 04:19:47 AM »

Wow.

Did I get lucky in November.

Let me first say - this is the kind of thing that NEVER happens to me in life. 

Only this time ... it did.

I entered the Autumn Raffle and, of course, allowed myself to dream of not only winning a prize, but thinking about a potential prize wishlist.

When I found out I actually won a 2nd place prize - I was psyched.  A saber with sound.

And I started thinking . . . what would I love to get?

My thoughts kept coming back to a most elusive saber:  The currently Convention-Only model . . . Curved Reaper.

And definitely the Black version.  Sure - if an Azure or Crimson showed up, I'd happily take it - but I definitely wanted the Black version. 

But of course, the odds of that showing up in my box were . . . well, "long" would be an understatement.  It's not even for sale in the store!

So as you can probably imagine . . . when I pulled a Black, Curved Reaper out of my Box . . . you could have knocked me over with a feather for sure. (I don't think any other Raffle prize will ever top that feeling.  I'd say I should quit while I'm ahead and leave that as my main UltraSaber Raffle Memory - but I know I'll be back in eventually.  Wink  )

And yes - I LOVE this thing.  Not only does the curve feel good in my hand, but this hilt (and the normal version) is an absolute MHS Superstar as you'll see later on in the Review.

Enough of the chit-chat . . . let's take a look at this thing!

Review coming up just as soon as Blademaster Sasha brings me my Curved Reaper . . .

. . . well, it seems she's busy at the moment, so let's just get started.

Oh! One quick bit of business.

I already covered all the unique features of this hilt in my Review for the regular Azure Reaper:

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=32446.0

All the info in that one applies here too; the curved neck doesn't change anything.

Which is to say - I'm not going to be covering all the same stuff again, so you may want to check that out if you don't already know all the mechanics of this model - and it IS very unique!  Smiley

This UltraSaber has a TON of great features and we're going to cover them all starting at the top . . .

The Emitter is a favorite of mine; personally I like a clawed-saber but the great thing about this one is the claw isn't just removable but can easily be re-adjusted to the front of back of the hilt.

The windows look fantastic and I particularly like the lipstick-style cutaway on it.

Quick view from the other side of the Emitter . . .

Here's a great look at the Emitter Shroud; it slides right over the Body and then you screw the Emitter in with the Blade attached.  The hilt looks good with or without the Shroud.

The curved section of the Body; I added the switch with the raised actuator.

Detailed shot of the Body with the circuitry etching.  It only covers the straight portion of the Body; the curved part is solid Black.

It comes standard with a Covertec, but I removed that and put a knurled screw in it's place as a sort of faux blade-length control.

Here's a look at both sides of the Pommel; the bottom is completely open for maximum volume when using Sound.

Like the Emitter - you can adjust the claw's alignment, as you can see in the following pictures:

Now for some real fun . . . the various MHS possibilities of this hilt are pure magic.

This is one of my favorite looks for the hilt; no Claw on the Emitter and the Dark War Glaive pommel:

If you want an even sleeker look - you can try it without the Shroud:

Here's a close look at what the joint looks like without the Shroud covering it:

If you like clawed-sabers and you're wondering, yes, the claw from the Scorpion will fit just fine on this Emitter:

Speaking of the Scorpion . . . it's a shame that name is taken because THIS really looks like a Scorpion!

Lastly, here's a run of example Builds you can do with the components of this saber - enjoy!

Hope you enjoyed the Review!!!

Winning? Is that what you think it's about? I'm not trying to win. I'm not doing this because I want to beat someone, or because I hate someone, or because I want to blame someone. It's not because it's fun. God knows it's not because it's easy. It's not even because it works, because it hardly ever does. I do what I do because it's right! Because it's decent! And above all, it's kind! It's just that. Just kind.

~ The 12th Doctor in "The Doctor Falls"

Darth Blightus
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -201

dark side points

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 04:28:47 AM »

nice review, great pics
this one looks about as close to dooku as we can get right now (if it had a red blade)
hope US will consider an actual dooku inspired hilt
till then yours looks epic

Only in darkness can one see the true light.

Landen Se-Sentien
Shadow Sentinel of the Manticore Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1828

I work in the Darkness in service of the Light

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 04:52:37 AM »

Fantastic review, LC. Thanks for sharing. I was hoping the shroud was MHS compatible to go on another saber, but based on what you said and showed, it seems like it slides and doesn't screw on. Is that correct?

Signature banner by DarthScrub

Lord Canterbury
Knight Commander

Fish Fingers & Custard

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 06:00:16 AM »

Thanks guys.

DB - The Saber actually came in Blazing Red but I have this never ending game of Musical Electronics going on so this one at the moment is kind of in limbo; I gave it a Stunt setup with a Cyan tri-star for the Review. Leaning towards permanently giving it a Deep Red tri-star or a custom mixed Purple setup with Sound.

Landen - you are correct, the Shroud just slides on.  There's a lip in there so it only goes down so far & stops.

It's a bummer this hilt is 1.45" and not 1.5" like most hilts with MHS Emitters. That difference is enough to make it super tight and potentially scratch your anodize.  I REALLY wanted to make a staff someday with the Reaper Emitter w/ Claw & Shroud on the DWG Body.  Sort of a makeshift Savage Oppress.

At least it sounded good before . . . then I saw THIS.   Tongue

Winning? Is that what you think it's about? I'm not trying to win. I'm not doing this because I want to beat someone, or because I hate someone, or because I want to blame someone. It's not because it's fun. God knows it's not because it's easy. It's not even because it works, because it hardly ever does. I do what I do because it's right! Because it's decent! And above all, it's kind! It's just that. Just kind.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 06:41:32 AM »

I really like the look of it with the Consular emitter, and when it has the Scorpion claw on it. Very cool LC.

Point to you.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2027

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 09:43:13 AM »

Very sick. US's, make an option available if you want standard or curved please Tongue I'm still getting a different pommel though or just use half my Guardian pommel

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG,
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 12:03:44 PM »

Outstanding!

Lord C, yet another stellar review from you. Smiley

You never fail to impress.  Great pics, and thanks for showing us all the combos. Grin

Yes, TR-77477 has done some pretty amazing things eh? 

Congrats on the take man. Smiley

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Isola815
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 594

"Most Redacted"

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 02:38:29 PM »

Man that is one Billy Bad-ass saber! Hadn't looked too closely at a Reaper before, but that one is AMAZING!

Thanks for showing a bunch of the combos you tried with it. I love to see the mix-n-match combos that people come up with Smiley

Point to you

Jediseth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 828

"If I told you, you wouldn't like it." Han Solo

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017, 05:40:13 PM »

Man I'm jealous, that's more like a first place prize in my book.

Guardian : GB, FOC Red, V4, 11-15                        Reaper: V4, BR, 4-17
Chosen One CE : Emerald, V4, 12-15
Consular: Emerald V4, 1-16
Manticore: BR, FOC Orange, QD, V4, 11-16
Monarch: Emerald, V4, 2016 Autumn Raffle -1st
Arbiter: V4, SD, Silver FOC, QD, 3-17
Archon V2.1, Diamond, 4-17

Niels
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 31

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2017, 07:04:43 PM »

Wonderfull review, great pics and I really like your writing style, with all the embedded joy and enthusiasm  Cheesy

What a beautifull saber, great raffle win. Even though I've read some positive reviews I still imagine it to be very difficult to handle a curved saber, I'm wondering how this is working out for you so far.

Congrats on your saber and have fun with it!

- Apprentice V4, Tri Blazing Red, Obsidian V4, Arbiter Pommel
- Apprentice V4 LE, Tri Consular Green, Obsidian V4, Arbiter Pommel
- Initiate V2 LE, Guardian Blue
- Crimson Scorpion, Emerald, Obsidian V4 (Winter Raffle 1st prize)

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -473

Either you like Star Wars... Or you're wrong.

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2017, 09:03:38 PM »

Great Scott, man, that was a great review and an impressive array of photos, too! Lucky indeed but no one more deserving. I loved your description of the etching as "circuitry etching", and I may be wrong, but that looks like an Emerald Green in the photos and has a very impressive appearance with the black/silver etched hilt.

This was perfect... Loved this intro! 👌

I am now officially a true believer in the coolness of the Reaper and have added that to my wish list. All the different MHS combinations you demonstrated with your photos really sealed it for me. Thanks for taking the extra time, as you always do 😊, to put up a very thorough showcase of your new saber. Looking forward to the reapers coming back in stock, hopefully I'm a curved version like yours. You've already sold us all, so it's sure to be a hot item when it does.

Point to you, sir  Wink

My Top 3 Favorite Sabers: Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand and Shock LE

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2017, 09:32:18 PM »

Good one Smiley. Ahhh yes ... MHS galore I love it.

Some very formidable combos there. What a perfect raffle prize congrats and thank you for the review.

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

MaskofMany
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: -151

All your sabers are belong to us...

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2017, 09:47:31 PM »

Wow, what an awesome prize man - congrats.  And yeah, the options available are simply ridiculously cool. #jealousy

Dark Side Points Please Smiley

Lord Canterbury
Knight Commander

Fish Fingers & Custard

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2017, 02:09:05 AM »

I am now officially a true believer in the coolness of the Reaper and have added that to my wish list. All the different MHS combinations you demonstrated with your photos really sealed it for me. Thanks for taking the extra time, as you always do 😊, to put up a very thorough showcase of your new saber. Looking forward to the reapers coming back in stock, hopefully I'm a curved version like yours. You've already sold us all, so it's sure to be a hot item when it does.

It's worth getting the Reaper for the MHS Emitter alone.  In particular - as you've obviously noted in my sig pic - if you already own a Consular!

What a beautifull saber, great raffle win. Even though I've read some positive reviews I still imagine it to be very difficult to handle a curved saber, I'm wondering how this is working out for you so far.

Honestly, I love the way it feels.  It's not much different for a traditional grip only your bottom hand sits further out front.

Holding it single handed on the Curve feels good and facilitates kind of a traditional Fencing style (Dooku-esque indeed).

The one drawback?  I haven't been able to figure out how to spin it like a traditional saber.

Jeadus Teal
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 203

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2017, 07:14:28 AM »

Wow.

Did I get lucky in November.

Let me first say - this is the kind of thing that NEVER happens to me in life.  

Only this time ... it did.

I entered the Autumn Raffle and, of course, allowed myself to dream of not only winning a prize, but thinking about a potential prize wishlist.

When I found out I actually won a 2nd place prize - I was psyched.  A saber with sound.

And I started thinking . . . what would I love to get?

My thoughts kept coming back to a most elusive saber:  The currently Convention-Only model . . . Curved Reaper.

And definitely the Black version.  Sure - if an Azure or Crimson showed up, I'd happily take it - but I definitely wanted the Black version.  

But of course, the odds of that showing up in my box were . . . well, "long" would be an understatement.  It's not even for sale in the store!

So as you can probably imagine . . . when I pulled a Black, Curved Reaper out of my Box . . . you could have knocked me over with a feather for sure. (I don't think any other Raffle prize will ever top that feeling.  I'd say I should quit while I'm ahead and leave that as my main UltraSaber Raffle Memory - but I know I'll be back in eventually.  Wink  )

And yes - I LOVE this thing.  Not only does the curve feel good in my hand, but this hilt (and the normal version) is an absolute MHS Superstar as you'll see later on in the Review.

Enough of the chit-chat . . . let's take a look at this thing!

Review coming up just as soon as Blademaster Sasha brings me my Curved Reaper . . .

. . . well, it seems she's busy at the moment, so let's just get started.

Oh! One quick bit of business.

I already covered all the unique features of this hilt in my Review for the regular Azure Reaper:

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=32446.0

All the info in that one applies here too; the curved neck doesn't change anything.

Which is to say - I'm not going to be covering all the same stuff again, so you may want to check that out if you don't already know all the mechanics of this model - and it IS very unique!  Smiley

This UltraSaber has a TON of great features and we're going to cover them all starting at the top . . .

The Emitter is a favorite of mine; personally I like a clawed-saber but the great thing about this one is the claw isn't just removable but can easily be re-adjusted to the front of back of the hilt.

The windows look fantastic and I particularly like the lipstick-style cutaway on it.

Quick view from the other side of the Emitter . . .

Here's a great look at the Emitter Shroud; it slides right over the Body and then you screw the Emitter in with the Blade attached.  The hilt looks good with or without the Shroud.

The curved section of the Body; I added the switch with the raised actuator.

Detailed shot of the Body with the circuitry etching.  It only covers the straight portion of the Body; the curved part is solid Black.

It comes standard with a Covertec, but I removed that and put a knurled screw in it's place as a sort of faux blade-length control.

Here's a look at both sides of the Pommel; the bottom is completely open for maximum volume when using Sound.

Like the Emitter - you can adjust the claw's alignment, as you can see in the following pictures:

Now for some real fun . . . the various MHS possibilities of this hilt are pure magic.

This is one of my favorite looks for the hilt; no Claw on the Emitter and the Dark War Glaive pommel:

If you want an even sleeker look - you can try it without the Shroud:

Here's a close look at what the joint looks like without the Shroud covering it:

If you like clawed-sabers and you're wondering, yes, the claw from the Scorpion will fit just fine on this Emitter:

Speaking of the Scorpion . . . it's a shame that name is taken because THIS really looks like a Scorpion!

Lastly, here's a run of example Builds you can do with the components of this saber - enjoy!

Hope you enjoyed the Review!!!

Great looking saber Lord Canterbury with so many options. Point to you for the share.

" Who's the more foolish? The fool, or the fool who follows him?"

“Do or do not. There is no try.”

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: