Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Comic convention advice for a first timer  (Read 2721 times)
Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 338

Fretful Instigator of the Prismatic Order

« on: January 16, 2017, 12:14:29 AM »

I've moved to an area where I could reach either the Kansas City or St. Louis comic cons. I've never been to a comic convention, due to money and distance limitations. I've always wanted to see what it's about. Anyone have tips or advice on how I could get info and make a plan to get the best use of the opportunity? Is it just a bunch of us milling around in costumes waiting to see the celebs on the list? What sort of exhibits and sales are there? Which conventions are Ultrasabers planning to attend? Thanks for sharing.

Selfish passion is unquenching.
What strength have you when you are a slave to your passions?
What power without strength of character?
To self centered rage, you will be chained.
The dark side is no victory.

The long path to peace is through balanced emotions.
The first step to gaining knowledge is recognizing your own ignorance.
Serenity is patient, not passionate satisfaction.
Find harmony by understanding chaos.
Become one with the force, which will never die.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 12:36:00 AM »

I live in the UK, so my experience may be slightly different to American conventions.

In terms of cosplayers, they tend to walk around the convention halls for a bit, but there's a large outdoor area at London Docklands Excel (where the convention is held). People tend to group together according to their costumes (ie DC characters together, Star Wars characters together etc). There pose for photos for fans, amateurs and professionals. Most cosplayers (in my experience) tend to be members of Facebook groups, so there is a big social side to it too. Lots of fun and swapping tales of costume builds/creations etc.

For those who aren't cosplaying, you get given a convention hall map when you arrive and a wrist band. Some people buy weekend passes and some buy day passes, so the wrist bands are colour coded. The map gives you a breakdown of which exhibitors are there and where they are located. It's an eclectic mix of comic book creators, comic book sellers, merchandise, gaming stuff etc.

Then there is a section for the special guests where you can get your autographs and a seated area where the celebrity panels take place. Entry into the talks depends on whether you bought a pass in advance (they don't tend to be available on the day). I'm not a huge autograph hunter so I'm not sure how that works, but I think it is the same as entry into the panels.

Afterwards, there tend to be some official and unofficial after parties at a local bar. A lot of people book hotel rooms within walking distance of the convention centre, so some tend to go back to their room, shower, change and eat before coming back. Some people stay in costume. Those who aren't cosplayers may do the same. And usually, once it gets dark, the (semi-drunk) lightsaber battles begin.

Hope that helps give you some insight into my experience at comic conventions.

Tips for survival:
- Wear comfy shoes/trainers

- Bring a rucksack or shoulder bag. Something easy to carry and put things in (that won't bump people around you)

- Baby wipes and deodorant is your friend (useful for trips to the bathroom to get you smelling daisy fresh)

- Hydrate, hydrate, hyrdate (bring water with you as convention prices are high and the queues very long)

- Red bull is your friend (bring a can with you and drink it early)

- Don't forget snacks (quick and easy things that will keep your energy up. My choices are protein bars, nuts and sushi)

- Cash (bring lots of cash in case you want to buy stuff. you won't believe how much stuff will catch your eye. cashpoint queues tend to be really long and some vendors may not have card machines)

- Be respectful if you want to take photos of cosplayers (most cosplayers are more than willing to pose for photos. be respectful if they say no, be careful of their costumes as they may be fragile and you don't want to damage it and be extra gentlemanly towards female cosplayers, regardless how skimpy their costumes may be)

- Join a facebook group beforehand so you have some people you can meet up with at the convention (nothing worse than being on your own at a convention with thousands of people trudging around)

- Have fun!

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 12:47:33 AM »

- Be respectful if you want to take photos of cosplayers (most cosplayers are more than willing to pose for photos. be respectful if they say no, be careful of their costumes as they may be fragile and you don't want to damage it and be extra gentlemanly towards female cosplayers, regardless how skimpy their costumes may be)

Also, even if they are acting suggestively towards you, do not take this as a sign to reciprocate, unless the suggestive behavior is being done in private. Many of them do so simply for the photos or to maintain the appearance of availability to draw in others willing to take pictures.

If you wish to have a specific pose with a cosplayer or celebrity (such as putting your arm around them), discuss the idea with them first. If they say no, drop it and leave it at that. Never assume that you can just do whatever.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 12:52:18 AM »

Also, even if they are acting suggestively towards you, do not take this as a sign to reciprocate, unless the suggestive behavior is being done in private. Many of them do so simply for the photos or to maintain the appearance of availability to draw in others willing to take pictures.

If you wish to have a specific pose with a cosplayer or celebrity (such as putting your arm around them), discuss the idea with them first. If they say no, drop it and leave it at that. Never assume that you can just do whatever.
SOOOOOO much this!

be extra gentlemanly towards female cosplayers, regardless how skimpy their costumes may be)

Lady Mineva
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 76

I rarely act my age.

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 03:54:10 AM »

I've only been to three comic-cons myself and a good rule is look but don't touch. That is for ALL cosplayers. Don't touch their costumes until you have permission. After that, ask before you take a photo.

If you dress up don't worry about feeling odd. There will be people there with better costumes then yours and there will be some with worse. Remember to keep improving yours over time until you feel like it's perfect and don't be afraid to ask for tips or ask how others are going to improve theirs. 

Other then all the costumes, it's just like any other convention. Don't forget to get a schedule ASAP so you can decide which panels to go to so you're not late!

Determination is my strength, patience is not always my virtue.
Initiate LE V4(SY) w/Sound "Chasm"

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 3214

You can't take the sky from me....

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 12:18:56 AM »

Here locally we have a huge cosplay community- some official groups, some just social- and it's all done through Facebook or forums. Therefore costuming meet ups are organised by the cosplayers themselves online beforehand. Done cons are pro-cosplayers with dedicated areas for photoshoots, meetups, break spot for cosplayers plus an emergency repair station- others don't give a damn.

Locally we have several cons of varying sizes. The big ones have celebrity photos/ signing. They will always have a sellers floor with many different stalls as well as most having various panels which you can usually go into (here only some panels are via booking at the big cons). Some cons also have gaming stations. If you want to go to any panels or signings/ photos planning in advance will help greatly.

As others have said, big rule is look but don't touch. The line used is 'cosplay is not consent'. Be respectful of all cosplayers, don't leer or grab, and ask permission before taking photos. If cosplaying yourself, read the cons cosplay and weapons policies beforehand and stick by them. If you have large props be mindful of the space they take up so you don't hit others when walking or turning. If cosplaying with a big outfit or one with poor visibility have a buddy who can help look after you, coz there are a lot of idiots at cons who will start crap for no reason, or steal bits of costume etc. And yes, comfy shoes are a must, as is keeping well hydrated.

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

archon v2.1, consular, dominix v3 LE, bellicose, 2x dark initiate v3 LE, dark initiate v2 LE, Aeonix v2, raven, 2x shock, 2x manticore, electrum wind em/v4 obs

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: