Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Lightshield  (Read 6637 times)
OlynKhorn
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -47

« on: January 17, 2017, 02:35:46 AM »

I'm pretty certain there is already a thread on this, but I couldn't find it so feel free to link it here.

I'm interested in creating a new Sith Pikeman costume that uses a short saberspear. However I also want use a shield, similarly to the guards from TOR, and I'd like a like sort of "lightshield" if at all possible. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lightsabers owned: Dark Apprentice V4 LE saber staff in Blazing Red, Dominix V4 in Blazing Red, Mantis in Consular Green, Fulcrum in Guardian Blue, Archon V3 in Sentinel Yellow, Intiate V4 LE saber staff in Consular Green, Renegade LE saberspear in FO, Dark Catalyst in VA

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 3214

You can't take the sky from me....

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 06:00:03 AM »

I'm not sure what lightshield in TOR you are referring to. Reference Pictures would be handy.

But this is an idea we are toying with because we want to make Covenant energy shields.

If you want something solid, then acrylic (coloured or clear) should work. If you need the plastic curved, a plastics place should be able to cut and form it. You would need to etch the plastic to create any line details or frost it a little so that the light travels along it, hits the uneven bits and reflects out (to make it 'glow' ). LEDs could be placed around the edge (or centre, or both). Alternatively, two layers of acrylic together with film in between that will catch the light from the LEDs- similar to the way the lightsaber blades are made. Regardless it is going to take some experimenting, and making some trial runs with small pieces first to test the concept you want to use before going full scale and spending that extra money.

We are wanting to make ours collapsible so that it can be transported to events. I'm yet to try the small scale, but I've got some clear PVC plastic flexible sheeting. I'm going to scuff it so that it catches light in a ripple pattern radiating out from the base, and it will have a collapsible stand to support it at a few points. The energy shields in Halo pulsate with outflowing ripples, so ill have the lights set up to pulse at varying rates. If that's successful, ill go large scale. If not, back to the drawing board!

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

archon v2.1, consular, dominix v3 LE, bellicose, 2x dark initiate v3 LE, dark initiate v2 LE, Aeonix v2, raven, 2x shock, 2x manticore, electrum wind em/v4 obs

OlynKhorn
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -47

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 06:48:09 AM »

I'm actually not sure what their title is but this is what I was referring to.

As to the design of the shield, I think you make some good points. It'll take some time for me procure the supplies, but I think I'll end trying something very similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lightsabers owned: Dark Apprentice V4 LE saber staff in Blazing Red, Dominix V4 in Blazing Red, Mantis in Consular Green, Fulcrum in Guardian Blue, Archon V3 in Sentinel Yellow, Intiate V4 LE saber staff in Consular Green, Renegade LE saberspear in FO, Dark Catalyst in VA

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 10:40:35 AM »

Ahhh ok. Those are Zakuul knights I believe. Not at all what I was thinking. They are just a regular shield with somelit up strips.

Foam or foam board could be used. If you want something sturdier, go a thermoplastic like worbla or craftiflex. Foam will be lighter though.

For the lit up sections find something to use as a lens that has that ridged effect- shouldn't be too hard, or you cut/ etch/ engrave the lines into plastic to give the effect. Behind it has a line of LEDs, or maybe use something like LV wire to give a solid line of light.

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

archon v2.1, consular, dominix v3 LE, bellicose, 2x dark initiate v3 LE, dark initiate v2 LE, Aeonix v2, raven, 2x shock, 2x manticore, electrum wind em/v4 obs

URNOTSOBOSS
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 17

I am Sentinel.

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 12:35:38 AM »

Ive also actually been thinking of making a lightshield, but i was thinking more like the ones the gungans use in phantom menace.
i was thinking of doing like blue plastiglass with maybe some sort of brass as the trim
Ideas?
Joshua

Sentinel- A soldier or guard whose job is to stand and keep watch.

*Sabers I own:
Aeon V4 stunt In CG {Seren Arien}
Dark Arbiter Obsidian V4 in BR (Mystery Box)
Sentinel V4 in GB
Sentinel V4 in AB (Mystery box)
*Wishlist:
Shock

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 04:03:25 AM »

Ive also actually been thinking of making a lightshield, but i was thinking more like the ones the gungans use in phantom menace.
i was thinking of doing like blue plastiglass with maybe some sort of brass as the trim
Ideas?
Joshua

Well, here's a good shot of what the shield looks like...

So what you do is build the framework so you have the handgrip area house batteries and electronics, and the outer ring is lined with, in this case, UV LED Light strips facing inwards. From there, you make sure the plastiglass edges are rough and thoroughly frosted so they will catch the light better. Light shines in, reflects off everything there, but still looks translucent.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 05:29:14 AM »

Well, here's a good shot of what the shield looks like...

So what you do is build the framework so you have the handgrip area house batteries and electronics, and the outer ring is lined with, in this case, UV LED Light strips facing inwards. From there, you make sure the plastiglass edges are rough and thoroughly frosted so they will catch the light better. Light shines in, reflects off everything there, but still looks translucent.

What he said Smiley

Or you can do two layers of plastic with film sandwiched in between and/or some kind of film or material coating it- that's how my friends Halo energy sword is made. That obviously increases the weight however.

Whatever film/ material is used needs to be able to reflect/ scatter the light to give the glowing effect. In all honestly scuffing the plastic will give same effect. I would suggest small trials first Smiley

Also you wouldn't have to use actual brass- moulded plastic tubing, lightweight wood or even foam painted brass coloured will make it lighter in weight.

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

URNOTSOBOSS
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 17

I am Sentinel.

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 12:47:28 AM »

good ideas all. thanks, and ill keep looking and working on it, and be sure to share my results

Sentinel- A soldier or guard whose job is to stand and keep watch.

*Sabers I own:
Aeon V4 stunt In CG {Seren Arien}
Dark Arbiter Obsidian V4 in BR (Mystery Box)
Sentinel V4 in GB
Sentinel V4 in AB (Mystery box)
*Wishlist:
Shock

Soul
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -115

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 05:06:40 AM »

Commenting so I get update notifications.

I use sword and shield in the sport I play (Jugger, in case anyone is curious), so I am very interested in people's ideas about making a shield from the Star Wars universe.

Neither Sith nor Jedi, however dark side points are appropriate

My saber: Aeon LE V4 Fire Orange stunt

Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 338

Fretful Instigator of the Prismatic Order

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 01:16:41 AM »

If it's just cosplay, one could make a wooden frame with color saran wrap to make gungan shields. Natural wrinkles in the wrap with lights on the back could even add to the look.

Selfish passion is unquenching.
What strength have you when you are a slave to your passions?
What power without strength of character?
To self centered rage, you will be chained.
The dark side is no victory.

The long path to peace is through balanced emotions.
The first step to gaining knowledge is recognizing your own ignorance.
Serenity is patient, not passionate satisfaction.
Find harmony by understanding chaos.
Become one with the force, which will never die.

theAfanc
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 14

Welsh Mythological Lake Monster

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 04:09:38 AM »

This might not help you, but I figured I'd throw it out there anyway.  My character has a light gauntlet and my plans for construction are to find a clear plastic shin or forearm guard and then run LED lights on the inside.  Once I get disarmed of my offhand saber in my choreo fights, I turn on the shield and use it for blocking.  It will be small and not bulky but will get the point across.

As tot he construction of your shield - cardboard works wonders!  It won't work for the clear one, obviously, but you could find cardboard anywhere and then thicken it up where necessarily with more layers or eva foam.  Then paint it out after it's the right shape and size.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: