Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Another Icewalker in Wisconsin  (Read 2095 times)
Annhwi
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 4

« on: January 17, 2017, 06:49:37 AM »

First things first, I am not from Wisconsin. (I am actually a military brat)

2nd item, I am a fan of both Star Wars and Star Trek... (yes, I feel there is room to give both series their due.) As a matter of fact the moniker I use is actually a Romulan surname.  As a potential force sensitive in the SW universe though, I am pretty much a consular jedi in attitude.

3rd... I have recently been encouraged by a co-worker to start this hobby (saber-sparring?) and with the research I have done, it looks like an US product would be in order.

Question... As someone new to this hobby, I am thinking of getting an (I hesitate to use the word cheap) options reduced (e.g. no sound, not a fancy hilt) saber for practicing until I can at least hold my own... and then move to a saber that has the sound/flash on clash/options rich for purposes of possible youtubing saber battles.

Are there any recommendations for the "practice" saber that has a reasonable balance ... (the initiate v3 w/ 32" Heavy blade... felt extremely blade heavy)?

Also are there certain preferences for the option rich saber that are the "have to have" options? (strictly for ambience... I am finding it difficult for instance to find what the v3 sound card actually has for options)

likely looking to finalize purchase of the practice saber within the next 2 weeks...

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 06:58:05 AM »

Welcome. Have you looked into the Grab Bag sabers much? They are a cheap-(ish) way to start out, and you have a chance of getting a real nice saber. Other than that I don't really have any good advice for you seeing as I have only wielded like 4 of 5 different styles, but I might consider an Apprentice or Initite v4 hilt.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Annhwi
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 08:26:25 AM »

I was hoping to have the Li ion battery pack... which the grab bag does not allow as an option. I appreciate the suggestion though.

Niels
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 31

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 08:32:46 AM »

Hi Annhwi, welcome to the forum. I enjoy Star Trek as well. I see no reason why someone should not be able to enjoy both series. I'm still awaiting my first order to arrive so I can't really advice you that much, although I guess you could consider adding a heavier pommel to an Initiate or Apprentice for balancing reasons. I wish you the best of luck with your upcoming purchase, "make it so!"  Cool

- Apprentice V4, Tri Blazing Red, Obsidian V4, Arbiter Pommel
- Apprentice V4 LE, Tri Consular Green, Obsidian V4, Arbiter Pommel
- Initiate V2 LE, Guardian Blue
- Crimson Scorpion, Emerald, Obsidian V4 (Winter Raffle 1st prize)

Annhwi
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 09:03:08 AM »

Thank you for your kind words and tolerance with regards to my "dual fandom".  Considering the new coupon code scheme that is now in place, I am adding the prophecy v3 to the list of possible practice sabers. (the Li ion option and the covertech clip/ wheel are kind of my must haves for this 1st purchase) Less than 150 before shipping seems pretty amazing. (I want to say the Initiate v3 was relatively close to this as well.).... it is a tough choice, but I think I have narrowed it down to these 2 hilts (li-ion / 32" HB / blade plug / covertech clip/wheel)

Lord Raváge
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1453

Ki tsimsima tuti mazo Galactic, Nu qorit dudnims!

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 12:24:47 PM »

Labintias sulig tave Jen' Garthaz iv SoCal, bustas iv tave Tsis!!! Cool
(Greetings from the Dark Side of SoCal, domicile of the Sith)

Ilsir geuj ne fanvake narys stai su zo plethora iv neyasli varsi ir uverei. Dary nenx dvejoti kia uzpra jok falykas j'us galez zinot ir kaiefas valia cali ax sorms j'us is tave status direction.
(There are so many helpful members here with a plethora of varied experience and opinions. Don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have and someone will answer or point you in the right direction.)

Galez Akuyi Buti Su J'us!
(May The Force Be With You!)

Annhwi
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 03:44:54 AM »

Fear not, my Lord... if questions I have, ask them I shall.  Grin

Vivectius
Dark Liberator of Lost Posts
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -719

I always feel like he’s judging my posts.

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 03:57:59 AM »

Welcome to the party.

You'll find that there are a number of people here who like both Stars.  Generally we don't give them too hard a time  Wink

As for your first saber choice, I say go with the Prophecy.  It's a very popular hilt for dueling.  If you were going to go the Initiate v3 route, I would suggest getting the Dominix v3 instead.  It's a little longer so it balances better and is Extremely comfortable to duel with.  Mine has a 36" Heavy Grade blade and I find it balances quite nicely (at least for my personal taste in how a sword balances).  I would personally take the Dominix over the Prophecy, but if it's only between the Prophecy and Initiate, I'd go Prophecy.

Never mind, I just saw the thread where you ordered the Prophecy.  That's one thing that's great about US, it's almost impossible to make a bad choice.  Cool

There's a forum search function in the upper right of the forums, looks like a magnifying glass, and if that fails you, always feel free to ask any questions you have.

You only live once. Wrong.
You only die once.  You live every moment of your life.
The question is, are you alive, and living your life? Or just here, and watching your life go by?
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to death
 Nor known to life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet those hands will never hold anything
 So, as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works.

Gilbert
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: -63

Sith! Sith! Yeth?

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 04:46:03 AM »

I was hoping to have the Li ion battery pack... which the grab bag does not allow as an option. I appreciate the suggestion though.
In my personal opinion, if you aren't going to have sound, don't go with a li-ion pack- they can be a real butt. Standard batteries will last a long time (rechargeable or disposable) and you don't have to worry about finicky li-ions.

Darth Genji
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -58

Dark Side Points!!!

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 09:11:01 AM »

First things first, I am not from Wisconsin. (I am actually a military brat)

2nd item, I am a fan of both Star Wars and Star Trek... (yes, I feel there is room to give both series their due.) As a matter of fact the moniker I use is actually a Romulan surname.  As a potential force sensitive in the SW universe though, I am pretty much a consular jedi in attitude.

3rd... I have recently been encouraged by a co-worker to start this hobby (saber-sparring?) and with the research I have done, it looks like an US product would be in order.

Question... As someone new to this hobby, I am thinking of getting an (I hesitate to use the word cheap) options reduced (e.g. no sound, not a fancy hilt) saber for practicing until I can at least hold my own... and then move to a saber that has the sound/flash on clash/options rich for purposes of possible youtubing saber battles.

Are there any recommendations for the "practice" saber that has a reasonable balance ... (the initiate v3 w/ 32" Heavy blade... felt extremely blade heavy)?

Also are there certain preferences for the option rich saber that are the "have to have" options? (strictly for ambience... I am finding it difficult for instance to find what the v3 sound card actually has for options)

likely looking to finalize purchase of the practice saber within the next 2 weeks...

Hey Annhwi welcome too the SaberForum and glad to have you a part of this wonderful community and addicting hobby! My suggestion is you could look towards the lower end hilts and by that I mean they're a bit more cheaper as in price range/budget and make well for a starting saber even if you plan to get one without sound and just purely as a stunt saber. My first purchase from US was a Dark Apprentice LE V4 w/ Tri-Cree Consular Green, Obsidian V4 soundboard, and Green AV switch with a 32" inch blade. I also had ordered an extra 24" inch blade on the side just so I can practice spinning more with that one. Of course I'm always willing to spoil myself with the fully loaded sabers, but I plan on getting myself a few stunts so I can practice with those more often that the ones I have with sound. If you have any other questions regarding some more about an idea on what saber you want as your first purchase just ask. I'm sure you'll fine one exactly to your liking and that's what makes it even more unique. Everyone can be their own Sith or Jedi! Smiley

"This is also the reason there can only be one Dark Lord.  The Sith must be ruled by a single leader: the very embodiment of the strength and power of the dark side.  If the leader grows weak another must rise to seize the mantle.  The strong rule; the weak are meant to serve.  This is the way it must be.
My time here is ended.  Take what I have taught you and use it well."

Dark Side Points only please! Thank you! Smiley

12/30/16 - Dark Apprentice LE V4 w/ Sound (Tri-Cree Consular Green)
01/09/17 - Apprentice LE V4 w/ Sound (Tri-Cree Fire Orange)

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2017, 01:38:30 PM »

Welcome from a fellow dual Star fan Wink

To keep the cost of your 'trainer' hilt down, it's best to consider what options deliver the most effective bang for your buck.

The li-ion batteries are very good for delivering a consistent charge from 100% to 0%, so your blade will look as bright as can be until the power dies completely. Is that massively important to you? If not, go with the standard setup (4xAAA) and get a couple of sets of rechargeables.

The cheaper hilts are generally the most comfortable to wield - they tend to be lighter and simpler in form, so you can move your hands around more freely and can usually mind more places to grip comfortably. There are exceptions, but for a sparring blade, I find that cheap is cheerful Wink

The one optional extra I tend to favour on a stunt 'sabre is the AV switch. It has a lower profile and the bezel has rounded edges, meaning if you grab that part of the 'sabre during combat, it'll be less intrusive and distracting in your hand. It's a minor thing, but I personally think they look better as well. I believe it's a $15 premium, and in my opinion worth having.

While the Prophecy is a very comfortable hilt to wield, especially one handed, it's on the fussier end of the scale. If you like the look of it, I can certainly recommend it with the minor caveat that the accent knobs on the emitter can come loose during a duel. Doesn't take but a second to adjust them, but over time they could come off, leaving the screws underneath exposed. You may be able to glue them to the screws, or replace them with actual thumbscrews, or may find it's not an issue, but on each of mine it's something I've noticed.

My personal preference for simple sparring 'sabres are either:
1. Aeon/Dominix v2 (or the shorter Initiate/Dark Initiate v2), which are lightweight and have a slender grip, but which aren't compatible with the li-ion setup, sound or Emerald, or;
2. Sentinel/Dark Sentinel (or the shorter Apprentice/Dark Apprentice), which are lightweight with varied grip points, MHS compatible at the pommel end and can have any combination of li-ion batteries with or without either sound or Emerald installed.

Hope that helps - let me know if you have any questions. I've handled most of the US lineup in some form or another, so can offer some reasonable comparisons.

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

skullsquadronx
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -183

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2017, 01:58:02 PM »

Hello Annhwi, and Welcome to the Saber Forum family, from Northeast Pennsylvania.

11/15 (2)Ravens SS VA (ED&O4) 12/15 Mantis ce AB (ED&O4) 06/16 Flamberge v2 AS (ED&O4) 06/16 Initiate v4 CG 07/16 Mantis ce AB (ED&O4) 07/16 D Initiate v4 AB 09/16 Archon v3 EG (ED&O4) 09/16 Initiate le v2 CG 09/16 D Apprentice le v4 FO 09/16 Dominix v4 GB 10/16 Electrum Wind DVA (ED&O4) 10/16 Standard Issue Battle Saber v3 GB 10/16 Aeon v3 AB 11/16 Aeon v4 AB 04/17 Emperor's Hand DVA (DC) 04/17 Dark Standard Issue Battle Saber tri CG & O litell 04/17 Initiate le v2 GB

Annhwi
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2017, 06:34:39 PM »

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome... my Prophecy v3 has arrived here and it is amazing.... as noted quite light and easy to handle even with a HG blade (32") the grip naturally went to the choke points which are very nicely spaced for single or two-handed wielding. (please keep in mind that I have only played with this for about 5 minutes to verify functionality... and the now its the chargers' turn as the batteries had almost no charge in them... as they should be)

I only had to make one modification and that was due to my overconfidence concerning my tool selection I have here (I thought I had an appropriate hex driver for the retention screws... oops) , and that was to gorilla glue the hand tight knobs to the retention screws.  Other than that minor detail, I firmly believe that this will work as an excellent practice saber.

There were a couple of things that I wanted to make future saber purchases a little more manageable (the Li-ion setup so that I would not need a second charger for future sabers, and the covertech clip).  As I am looking at a Consular for my "spiffy" saber (will have FoC/sound v4/possibly will retain 36" blade, but still unknown on that)...

Again though... thank you for the warm welcome and happy/dark sabering.... HUZZAH!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: