Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Author Topic: Opinions Wanted for Ultimate Staff  (Read 7992 times)
Liora Rey
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 37

"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."

« on: January 17, 2017, 06:29:47 PM »

In the wee hours this morning, I discovered that I'd been selected for one of the Winter Raffle Emerald prize awards.  I am so grateful and still stunned that I won.  It's exciting, but now I need to make a big decision and I'm still very much a padawan.  I'd like some thoughts from you knights, lords (and ladies) and masters out there on building an epic staff that is both beautiful and usable. 

My current thought for a staff is twin Azure Reapers with 24 inch blades.  I'm a small-framed girl and want something I can learn with and use for spinning and eventually dueling. 

I've been practicing spinning with an Aeon LE v4 and a Dominix LE v4.  I'm comfortable with the weight and balance of those and I'm using a 32 inch blade for them. 

The Reaper has a lot of appeal in terms of size and appearance and also the flatter surface area.  I am thinking I want to eventually add a Yari to lengthen the staff.  But, I don't know if I'll be able to connect them the way I'm assuming I can. 

The only real downside I see is that they are on backorder.  I think they would be worth the wait though...

I had thought of trying to make a replica of Rey's staff using Manticores or Menaces.  But I'm not sure I'd be able to wield it as well with those.  It's also tempting to just focus on the staff as a sculpture and try something crazy like linking two Lost Greys or a Lost Grey and a Fulcrum together.  Too many gorgeous options...  And the clock is ticking.

Any experience, advice or warnings would be much appreciated! 

MTFBWY

My Sabers:

Aeon LE v4 DVA^**
Dominix LE v4 BR^**
Prophecy GB**
Dark Liberator CG*
Fulcrum DVA^** (Winter Raffle Prize) 
Graflex SE AB^** (Winter Raffle Prize)

(^Emerald **Ob V4 *Ob Lite)

Wishlist...
Double Reaper Staff, Chosen One, Lost Gray Manticore

Lord Canterbury
Dark Knight of The Scorpion Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1313

Fish Fingers & Custard

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 06:56:00 PM »

Well - my immediate thought is, and it sounds like you want one though - you don't actually have to get a literal Staff.

I think it's probably fair to say most people just choose the 2 sabers they want most.

That out of the way, if you are completely intent on getting a Staff, for usability I would definitely go for something without a lot of bits & bobs on them that get in the way of grip and also look great in any color.

So Dark Arbiter and the Sentinel lineup come to mind. The Shock could be really nice with the Covertec taken off so it's not in the way.

Winning? Is that what you think it's about? I'm not trying to win. I'm not doing this because I want to beat someone, or because I hate someone, or because I want to blame someone. It's not because it's fun. God knows it's not because it's easy. It's not even because it works, because it hardly ever does. I do what I do because it's right! Because it's decent! And above all, it's kind! It's just that. Just kind.

~ The 12th Doctor in "The Doctor Falls"

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 07:31:33 PM »

Hi.  I will be away from the computer for a few hours.  Please hold off making any final decision.  You will get a lot more replies and suggestions to consider later this evening as other members finish their work shift.  Request photos as well which really helps... as you can have any two sabers that you desire.  Grin

Liora Rey
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 07:59:36 PM »

Hi.  I will be away from the computer for a few hours.  Please hold off making any final decision.  You will get a lot more replies and suggestions to consider later this evening as other members finish their work shift.  Request photos as well which really helps... as you can have any two sabers that you desire.  Grin

Will do!  Thanks.  I think my excitement is causing me to get ahead of myself.  Smiley   Will practice some slow, deep Darth Vader breaths... 

My Sabers:

Aeon LE v4 DVA^**
Dominix LE v4 BR^**
Prophecy GB**
Dark Liberator CG*

Wishlist...

sllikskills
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 81

Maully Maul

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 08:05:06 PM »

Hey Liora!!

Sending out a fellow congratulations and virtual air hugs for Emerald Prize!! We have been truly blessed by the saber Gods

This is a great idea to start a thread - if I wasn't bouncing off the walls so much last night and waking up my neighbors, I probably would have waited before making my decision as well - but I have already decided!

Like what Lord Canterbury said, I have chosen my two most wanted sabers from US (aside from the Graflex SE which was my raffle ticket submission saber). Reason being, I know that I will go down the staff route at some point, so the coupler being shipped with the emerald prize will still be very useful, but for now, I want to get two separate sabers that I've always wanted. Truly feels like Christmas

Ended up going with a Chosen One CE, and a Fulcrum!!!!!!!!
(will also pick up the Lost Gray separately at some point)

Absolutely cannot wait!!! I've also went ahead and purchased about 15 different sound fonts on saberfont.com in preparation for the sabers, since I have never had an Obsidian v4 soundboard before.

Very excited to see what you end up going with Liora. Enjoy the process to the fullest - and without saying - the sabers themselves!

Stay Woke!!!

-Graflex SE - Obsidian V4 - Arctic Blue - Adegan Silver foc
-Electrum Wind - Obsidian Lite - Violet Amethyst - no foc
-Prophecy v3 - Obsidian Lite - Adegan Silver - Blazing Red foc
-Dark Initiate v3 - Adegan Silver - Stunt (for now)
-Fulcrum - Emerald - Obsidian v4 - Consular Green
-Chosen One CE - Emerald - Obsidian v4 - Blazing Red
-Lost Gray - Custom Install

My Wood Graflex Build Thread - http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=33641.msg528894#msg528894

Kai-Yen
Knight Major

Force Alignment: 123

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 08:25:24 PM »

Something else to consider is the fact the Azure reaper is currently on backorder.  I have been waiting for mine since July 2016 ...

Newest ETA is late Jan but I have been hearing this for some time!  The last batch of anodized hilts came back unacceptable per Marlena.

K

Sabers Owned:  Azure Reaper (AB), Crimson Reaper (AS), Apprentice (BH).

Liora Rey
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 09:37:47 PM »

Hey Liora!!

Sending out a fellow congratulations and virtual air hugs for Emerald Prize!! We have been truly blessed by the saber Gods

This is a great idea to start a thread - if I wasn't bouncing off the walls so much last night and waking up my neighbors, I probably would have waited before making my decision as well - but I have already decided!

Like what Lord Canterbury said, I have chosen my two most wanted sabers from US (aside from the Graflex SE which was my raffle ticket submission saber). Reason being, I know that I will go down the staff route at some point, so the coupler being shipped with the emerald prize will still be very useful, but for now, I want to get two separate sabers that I've always wanted. Truly feels like Christmas

Ended up going with a Chosen One CE, and a Fulcrum!!!!!!!!
(will also pick up the Lost Gray separately at some point)

Absolutely cannot wait!!! I've also went ahead and purchased about 15 different sound fonts on saberfont.com in preparation for the sabers, since I have never had an Obsidian v4 soundboard before.

Very excited to see what you end up going with Liora. Enjoy the process to the fullest - and without saying - the sabers themselves!

Hi Sllikskills!  Huge congratulations to you too!  I think we are representing light and dark here.  Smiley 

Big hugs to you as well!  I'm excited for you too!  Can't wait to see your pictures!

You are going to love the Obsidian v4 soundboard!  It's so addicting just enjoying the standard fonts that ship with the v4 option.  I have not downloaded more for mine yet, but I hear it's a fun and easy process.  There are always great teaching videos on this site and on YouTube as well. 

Now I have a conundrum...I really was focused on the idea of creating a staff from the prize description, but the idea of opening a box with a Fulcrum, Chosen One or Graflex waiting inside....  Wow!  Those are works of art!   The Graflex SE was in my wishlist before the raffle (and still is). 

With a potentially long wait ahead on the Reapers (thanks for the heads-up on the time elapsed so far, Kai-Yen), I might just rethink this a bit.  Hmmm. 

My Sabers:

Aeon LE v4 DVA^**
Dominix LE v4 BR^**
Prophecy GB**
Dark Liberator CG*

Wishlist...

sllikskills
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 81

Maully Maul

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 09:53:49 PM »

Liora,

It's seriously a dream come true. Seeing the Fulcrum, Chosen One, and the Graflex all wrapped up in the box will definitely get me watery eyed... Who cut the onions?!?! Damn!!

Yeah, if there's one piece of advice I'd give you, it's to make sure you are getting what you want!! I know there's an immense amount of positive peer pressure within the community, everyone wants to see your pictures of what you will end up getting - but trust me, no one will be let down if you end up getting two separate sabers and a separate coupler! Although it's my first time winning, I can definitely say from observation that the chance doesn't come around very often (Especially getting to choose any saber you want). The way I see it is, when the paychecks come around and I have some spare money to add to my collection, chances are that I will be able to afford one or two sabers to add to the staff coupler (maybe buy one at a time, or both together if I have enough funds). But chances also are, that I wouldn't have enough to get the Chosen One CE all maxed out! So I said to myself that this may be my now or never opportunity!

I'd only go with the saber staff if that's what you really want! Having a full Emerald staff must truly be something special, but I had to level with myself for a moment and realize that I'd be happier with my separate Emerald sabers this time around. I can spend less money and purchase Obsidian Lite sabers to mount on to the coupler for the staff down the road! Regardless it will be well received by the community.

With that being said, I think that a double malice would look extraordinary, depending on your personality.
Very excited to see what you end up with.

Cheers!!!

Stay Woke!!!

-Graflex SE - Obsidian V4 - Arctic Blue - Adegan Silver foc
-Electrum Wind - Obsidian Lite - Violet Amethyst - no foc
-Prophecy v3 - Obsidian Lite - Adegan Silver - Blazing Red foc
-Dark Initiate v3 - Adegan Silver - Stunt (for now)
-Fulcrum - Emerald - Obsidian v4 - Consular Green
-Chosen One CE - Emerald - Obsidian v4 - Blazing Red
-Lost Gray - Custom Install

My Wood Graflex Build Thread - http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=33641.msg528894#msg528894

Molina00
Forum Emissary
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 459

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 10:14:46 PM »

When I see someone asking for a staff recommendation, I always have to go back to my trusty Manticore staff as it is the prize of my collection.  I think the covertech wheels are optional so if you pass on those, then there is nothing but the switch to get in the way of your grip.  And congratulations on your emerald win.  Whatever you finally decide on is going to be awesome!  Cool

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=16952.0

I felt a great disturbance in the force as if millions of nerds cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

shade_1313
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 766

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 10:24:41 PM »

I am loving the mental image I get of an Azure (or Crimson) Reaper.

Mmmmmm, I'll keep those in mind for the future.

Vivectius
Dark Liberator of Lost Posts
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -719

I always feel like he’s judging my posts.

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2017, 12:44:28 AM »

I'm one of those weird people who'd get two Flamberge or Renegades....

If you're not going strictly for a staff, I'd go with the two most expensive sabers on your wish list.  Grin

If you do want an actual staff, then good luck picking that out.  Wink

Possible Sith suggestions:

A pair of Ravens (random trivia: a flock or crows or ravens can be known as a 'murder of crows') would look rather vicious.

Same for a pair of Dark War Glaives.  For an unbalanced look, a Dark War Glaive and Dark Standard Issue combination look very nice (I'll try to dig up a picture of mine).

I'm going to suggest a pair of Monarchs because I've seen a Monarch staff and it's pretty neat.  The rest of the dirty minded forum (Dauntless...) can make their own jokes about it.

If you don't mind the wait, a pair of Crimson Reapers would be beautiful.

Last suggestion would be to head over to the Picture Gallery thread and look at the saberstaff thread there for more intersting ideas.

Specifically right here: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=24683.90

You only live once. Wrong.
You only die once.  You live every moment of your life.
The question is, are you alive, and living your life? Or just here, and watching your life go by?
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to death
 Nor known to life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet those hands will never hold anything
 So, as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works.

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 01:19:58 AM »

Hi again.  Just checked out what your raffle entries are.  You are going to love that Prophecy.  You mentioned that you already own an v4 Aeon and Dominix and are also getting a Liberator or Libby as we call them.  So any of those ones combined together with a pike/yari extension and adjustable coupler will create a Rey like staff that you can customize a bit.  Those sabers are all good spinners so you are well covered for that.  Smiley

The azure reapers won't look anything like a Rey staff and to me are a waste of the Emerald prize.  I could be politically correct and say to each their own... but my suggestion is to take full advantage of the specialness of this gift from the Force and courtesy of US.  Let's steer away from the tube like sabers and consider some others.  Wink

So now that is out of the way... let's talk dream sabers, top of the line and MHS compatible.  And don't be concerned if you initially think that the saber is going to be too big and bulky.  Many smaller women, including myself, have proven that with some practice and core strengthening, that most sabers can be wielded effectively.  Smiley

Are you at all thinking about collecting some of the more SW iconic sabers ?  If so then I would highly recommend getting a Graflex and you might even like an Azure Menace but the CE version is gorgeous.  It will be an inch and a bit longer than the original to be able to house the Emerald Driver.  The Menace emitter looks closest to the decorative top of Rey's staff.  The Shock and the Manticore are attractive looking sabers with beautiful emitters and good comfortable hand grips.  The Archon v2.1 is an excellent saber to own and can easily be shortened or lengthened using the MHS pommels and emitters and the vented couplers.  Hazard can tell you more about that one if interested.  Then if you were ever thinking about a cross-guard saber now is the time to get it.  The Renegade emitters can be used on other sabers and the pommel is very popular and looks so good on many sabers including the ones that you already have.  Cool

You presently have sabers that are only MHS for pommel swap outs and you should... yes I said that... get a saber that is compatible on both ends.  Therefore my suggestion of the Archon and the others.  Once you get a few emitters and pommels to swap out, it's almost like having a brand new saber.  Grin

Will stop here and get more of your thoughts about the direction you are wanting to go.  Also if a saber is currently out of stock, are you prepared to wait for it.  Your entire order would be on hold unless you arranged to pay the shipping for the unavailable saber when it is ready.  Cheesy

shade_1313
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 766

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2017, 02:01:33 AM »

As for the original idea, this was the source of the only pictures I could find.  http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=16624.15

Personally, I'd want them the same color, with the claws removed, and emitters turned in opposite directions, but it's flexible enough to set up in a number of different ways.

Drat.  I really am going to end up putting together at least one Reaper staff, aren't I?

Liora Rey
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2017, 02:15:29 AM »

As for the original idea, this was the source of the only pictures I could find.  http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=16624.15

Personally, I'd want them the same color, with the claws removed, and emitters turned in opposite directions, but it's flexible enough to set up in a number of different ways.

Drat.  I really am going to end up putting together at least one Reaper staff, aren't I?

Great find, Shade!  Have a point.   

Someone really, really needs to put one of these together. 

It seems like it needs something between them...  A Yari maybe?  Another part? 

I like the claws remaining on the blade side.  But, I too would want them to match.   

My Sabers:

Aeon LE v4 DVA^**
Dominix LE v4 BR^**
Prophecy GB**
Dark Liberator CG*

Wishlist...

Liora Rey
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2017, 02:32:39 AM »

So, I do really want a Reaper staff.  But, I have no idea how long that wait will be and at the risk of being greedy, there are two other sabers that I would be even more thrilled to have.  Since the Force is strong with me right now, I think I need to pull the trigger, explode that Death Star and fulfill my destiny. 

Dauntless - To your point, I had the Graflex in my shopping cart until I made the very painful decision to get two sabers instead of one for my winter raffle entry.  It's the most iconic saber of all sabers and if I could only get one, that would be a slam dunk that it would be the Graflex. 

The other one that I really love that I was thinking would be too big for me is the Fulcrum. But I found a YouTube video today of a gal about my size spinning one with no problem!  So....with that issue resolved, the Fulcrum has to be my second pick. 

I'm still going to work on building a staff using your great ideas, Dauntless!  Maybe that will be my next raffle entry!  That is, until Emory comes up with the next Must Have saber.  Grin  The passion for Ultrasabers will continue to spread like fire through the galaxy.

Whew!  It's oddly stressful to make a decision like this.  I appreciate everyone for responding!  You have all been a tremendous help.  Points all around!  Smiley   

My Sabers:

Aeon LE v4 DVA^**
Dominix LE v4 BR^**
Prophecy GB**
Dark Liberator CG*

Wishlist...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Send this topic | Print