Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Author Topic: Opinions Wanted for Ultimate Staff  (Read 8021 times)
Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2017, 02:40:08 AM »

Glad that I could be of some help.  Deciding upon and building a new saber can be a crazy making process... so I can't even imagine what winning 2 Emerald sabers would be like.  But before you choose that Fulcrum I suggest that you talk with Lord Canterbury and Lord Bladewraith about these.  I think that if you at all like the Electrum Wind ( Mace Windu style ) you are getting a far more superior saber than the Fulcrum choice.  You could get the Graflex CE ? with Em RGBW and the ?? with RGBA.  Smiley

Liora Rey
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 37

"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2017, 03:04:02 AM »

Glad that I could be of some help.  Deciding upon and building a new saber can be a crazy making process... so I can't even imagine what winning 2 Emerald sabers would be like.  But before you choose that Fulcrum I suggest that you talk with Lord Canterbury and Lord Bladewraith about these.  I think that if you at all like the Electrum Wind ( Mace Windu style ) you are getting a far more superior saber than the Fulcrum choice.  You could get the Graflex CE ? with Em RGBW and the ?? with RGBA.  Smiley

I was not looking at the Electrum Wind, although I love that name and it looks amazing in Sentinel Yellow.  I've been looking for hilts that have a nice smooth surface.  My Aeon and Dominix both hurt my hands because of where I grip them.  (They are LEs and I love the way they look, but if I've been practicing all day they start to tear up my fingers.)  I have ordered motorcycle gloves, but I like the idea of having more hilts that have a smooth spot to grip when I need/want it. 

Curious what you see as the benefits of RGBW vs. RGBA.  I just went with RGBW on the ones I've ordered so far.  Is there a better reason to get RGBA instead?  More colors?   

My Sabers:

Aeon LE v4 DVA^**
Dominix LE v4 BR^**
Prophecy GB**
Dark Liberator CG*
Fulcrum DVA^** (Winter Raffle Prize) 
Graflex SE AB^** (Winter Raffle Prize)

(^Emerald **Ob V4 *Ob Lite)

Wishlist...
Double Reaper Staff, Chosen One, Lost Gray Manticore

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2017, 04:05:17 AM »

I was not looking at the Electrum Wind, although I love that name and it looks amazing in Sentinel Yellow.  I've been looking for hilts that have a nice smooth surface.  My Aeon and Dominix both hurt my hands because of where I grip them.  (They are LEs and I love the way they look, but if I've been practicing all day they start to tear up my fingers.)  I have ordered motorcycle gloves, but I like the idea of having more hilts that have a smooth spot to grip when I need/want it.  

Curious what you see as the benefits of RGBW vs. RGBA.  I just went with RGBW on the ones I've ordered so far.  Is there a better reason to get RGBA instead?  More colors?  

Part of the problem is that you are using a longer saber for spinning.  When I started buying US sabers my first one was the Aeon LE v3 with a LE Shock pommel.  The v4's weren't out yet.  The hand grips are more tapered on the v3 line and therefore perhaps more comfortable, but because of the length it was a 2 handed saber for me... better for dueling.  

Lately I have left the longer/heavier hilts and have gone to the Initiates and Apprentice length and using other pommels for 1-1.75" additional hilt length and more pommel end weight for counterbalance to the blade.  I normally use a 24 - 28" blade for spinning practice.  The blades go quite deep into the emitter with these lines.  A 32" blade is pushing it... especially if using inside my apartment.  The v2's also are a favorite of mine and I would never give them away.  Are slightly slimmer and have 2 blade retention screws.  Make for a great stunt staff.  Only downfall is that they are not MHS compatible or sound capable. Have a much smoother basic tube like design.

Your Libby that is coming will fit that smooth slightly tapered grip but you might end up wishing that it had some recessed groove rings like your Aeon for your hand to connect with more securely.  The Prophecy may take some getting use to the feel of the design and you may want to remove the covertec wheel.  I think for now you are well covered for choice spinning sabers.  Your hands do have to toughen up, strengthen as you can develop stress areas especially from shoulder to fingers if you overdo it.  Pay special attention to your wrists.  I rarely need to use gloves anymore.  My choice for non-combat is the partially protected open fingertip ones with the leather or suede palms.  Sometimes called weight lifters gloves.  Thinner golf gloves should be more comfortable to use for spinning than the bulkier motorcycle ones.

Regarding the emerald driver choices.  It is going to depend upon whether on not you are going for an illuminated av switch or not and if you are having a recharge port.  If not... then the advantage of the RGBA is that you are going to be able to mix together some really nice yellows to amber colors.  If you want a more truer white color for your blade or as a FoC then you will have more trouble getting that without the RGBW.  Generally those that are wanting more greens to blue and purple/pink shades choose the RGBW.  But the main deciding point is the yellow/amber.

Not sure if I have posted any photos for you before.  I lose track and don't want to post ones that you may already have received.  But they are usually handy to review and also for other newer members.  

My most comfortable saber for spinning is the Shock line.  Is much lighter than what it looks like in spite of the substantial emitter.  The pommel is a go to favorite of mine for many other sabers.  But the best grip for me is on the Apprentice which is the smaller version of the Sentinel.  Smiley

Liora Rey
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2017, 04:32:43 AM »

Not sure if I have posted any photos for you before.  I lose tract and don't want to post ones that you may already have received.  But they are usually handy to review and for other newer members.  Smiley

My most comfortable saber for spinning is the Shock line.  Is much lighter than what it looks like.  But the best grip for me is on the Apprentice which is the smaller version of the Sentinel.  

I got an Initiate v2 with my first order and I use that for spinning practice with it's 24 inch blade all the time.  The smooth hilt is also nice cool relief to my hands when they are aching from practicing so much. 

The 32 inch blade really is a bit much.  I do hope US eventually has 28 inch blades available.  Although, I must admit it raises awareness in a new way when you smack your calves with a heavy PVC pipe!  LOL   The funniest moments are when I flash on clash with myself.  Happens more than I'd like to admit.  I'm trying to force myself to learn to use them and adjust because the longswords I have are that same length and longer.  And I'd really like to take some HEMA classes in longsword at some point. 

Great clarification on RGBW vs. RGBA. I am more of a blue/indigo gal and occasional outbursts of red.  Smiley 

Thanks for all of this helpful input!  I had not really looked at the Shock line, but will go investigate.  The Sentinel is on my long-term wishlist already. Smiley 

Feel free to post any pics you want on this thread.  I'll go searching for them if not. But, I love to see everyone's arsenal! 

My Sabers:

Aeon LE v4 DVA^**
Dominix LE v4 BR^**
Prophecy GB**
Dark Liberator CG*

Wishlist...

JediXIX
Alchemist of the Sentinel Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1172

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2017, 04:50:53 AM »

As for the original idea, this was the source of the only pictures I could find.  http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=16624.15

Personally, I'd want them the same color, with the claws removed, and emitters turned in opposite directions, but it's flexible enough to set up in a number of different ways.

Drat.  I really am going to end up putting together at least one Reaper staff, aren't I?

There was this pic from a few years ago . . . agreed, looks very cool  Cool

Remember... The Force will be with you... Always . . . (Just let it in)

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2017, 04:54:01 AM »

Ha ha... the Initiate v2 is a Yoda saber and doesn't count lol.  Wink

But 2 together makes a decent staff for closer dueling and fun spinning.  Forgot the name of the dark sider that used a short staff with blue LED's.

You can order blades in any length or just get some grab bag mid-grade weight blades and cut them down.  Easy to do and members can assist you.  There are some excellent how to posts here.  Should be found using the Search function.

I can just imagine you almost injuring yourself and laughing.  But right now you need to work on strength, endurance and safe effective technique.  Then changing out to longswords will be more of a natural flow.  And since you like those particular swords how about rising to the challenge and getting a Renegade.  It's a beast but not as bad as the Flamberge... and as I mentioned before the x3 emitters and pommel are super to use on other sabers.  

I just started training with a Chinese Sword Breaker.  Used mostly in a thrusting/piercing motion but has 4 edges carved into the tubular blade.  Yes have tried to spin that bad boy... but I kind of like to have any body parts intact and pink lol.  Smiley

EDIT:  Just saw Jed's photo of a black Reaper staff belonging to Brian.  Wow... I am starting to like that look with the black coupler.  As a single saber I'm not so sure.  Can definitely see why you could be conflicted.  Undecided

Liora Rey
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2017, 04:55:16 AM »

Oh my!   Wowsers...  That's a gorgeous look.  I think reapers look great in all three hilt color options.  Hard to choose a favorite.   

My Sabers:

Aeon LE v4 DVA^**
Dominix LE v4 BR^**
Prophecy GB**
Dark Liberator CG*

Wishlist...

Vivectius
Dark Liberator of Lost Posts
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -719

I always feel like he’s judging my posts.

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2017, 05:04:41 AM »

If it's a smoother hilt you want for spinning, you will love your Liberator.  I liked mine enough to buy a second one.  Also one to look at along those lines is the Dark Standard Issue without the vertical grooves (I recommend all sabers in thei Dark version, but really any version will work).  It's a smooth, simple saber with a touch of style from the slanted emitter.

And apparently I'm the only one on the forum who doesn't like having a ribbed grip of some kind on the saber.  I know a lot of people will put rubber o-rings in the grooves of the Initiate/Apprentice/Dominix/Sentinel lines especially, for a better grip both sparring and spinning.  I greatly prefer a smooth grip for both combat and twirling, mostly since I tend to slide my hands when doing both, and I prefer not to have things in the way when I do.

One note, in the Parts section of the main site, under Blades, they do offer custom length blades. It only has the Ultra Edge Mid Grade listed, with available lengths between 4" and 48".  If you ask them, I'm willing to bet you could work out something to get a custom length in a different blade type.  Or you can also get a longer one and cut it down yourself.  There's a couple of threads on how to do it and it's pretty easy.

You only live once. Wrong.
You only die once.  You live every moment of your life.
The question is, are you alive, and living your life? Or just here, and watching your life go by?
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to death
 Nor known to life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet those hands will never hold anything
 So, as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2017, 05:45:18 AM »

Oh my!   Wowsers...  That's a gorgeous look.  I think reapers look great in all three hilt color options.  Hard to choose a favorite.  

I don't think I have ever seen pics of an Azure Reaper, I might go with that one. Of course I have always been instantly drawn to the Crimson, but I still would like to see and Azure one.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Liora Rey
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2017, 05:55:18 AM »

You can order blades in any length or just get some grab bag mid-grade weight blades and cut them down.  Easy to do and members can assist you.  

And since you like those particular swords how about rising to the challenge and getting a Renegade.  It's a beast but not as bad as the Flamberge... and as I mentioned before the x3 emitters and pommel are super to use on other sabers.  

I just started training with a Chinese Sword Breaker.  Used mostly in a thrusting/piercing motion but has 4 edges carved into the tubular blade.  Yes have tried to spin that bad boy... but I kind of like to have any body parts intact and pink lol.  Smiley

EDIT:  Just saw Jed's photo of a black Reaper staff belonging to Brian.  Wow... I am starting to like that look with the black coupler.  As a single saber I'm not so sure.  Can definitely see why you could be conflicted.  Undecided

Yeah, that Reaper set is awesome!  I might even be starting to prefer Black over Crimson or Azure.  You could choose a black or silver Yari and either would look great with it.  And black or silver couplers between them will work equally well.  This really must stay on my wishlist.  It is easier to be less conflicted since they are not available at the moment.  If I hear that the Reapers are coming in this weekend or something, then I do have a bit of a dilemma.

I did not know I could order custom blade lengths.  Hmmm...  I'd love to try a 28 inch and 30 inch to see which works better.   I continue to learn from you, Masters Dauntless and Vivectius.  Smiley     

I'm going to go check out a kendo class this weekend.  They workout with a bokken...  I'm not sure if that's spinnable or not.  Smiley    Your Chinese sword breaker sounds cool.

Now...about that Renegade.  Gosh...that looks like a whole new area of obsession I haven't even started. Smiley They do look like fun.  I might try a Flamberge first since there is less interference/decoration close to the grip area.  Are the Flamberge's heavier than the Renegades?

I watched Emory's intro videos to the Flamberge and saw the benefits of the interchangable emitters.  Hm.  You are opening my eyes to new options, Master.

My Sabers:

Aeon LE v4 DVA^**
Dominix LE v4 BR^**
Prophecy GB**
Dark Liberator CG*

Wishlist...

Liora Rey
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2017, 06:00:33 AM »

I don't think I have ever seen pics of an Azure Reaper, I might go with that one. Of course I have always been instantly drawn to the Crimson, but I still would like to see and Azure one.

Taegin!  Great to hear from you! 

Yes, they seem to all be beautiful in their own way, don't they?  I too, like the Crimson ones, even though that seems to be a conflict with my light side affiliation.  I want to see a set of any color with a Yari.  I may have to create one. Or convince Shade to do it!

I do hope they eventually come out of backorder status.  I will keep my eye on them for the future even if I can't get a set now. 

My Sabers:

Aeon LE v4 DVA^**
Dominix LE v4 BR^**
Prophecy GB**
Dark Liberator CG*

Wishlist...

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2017, 06:06:08 AM »

Taegin!  Great to hear from you! 

Yes, they seem to all be beautiful in their own way, don't they?  I too, like the Crimson ones, even though that seems to be a conflict with my light side affiliation.  I want to see a set of any color with a Yari.  I may have to create one. Or convince Shade to do it!

I do hope they eventually come out of backorder status.  I will keep my eye on them for the future even if I can't get a set now. 

Thanks, when I saw that you won the Emerald Prize, I couldn't think of anybody else that should have gotten it. (That probably sounded weird  Roll Eyes ) But anyways, very cool, can't wait to see pics.

I don't know why, but the Reaper line has just always been awesome to me. I guess it is probably all that detail. Or maybe it is the Force calling to me through them. Grin

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Liora Rey
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2017, 06:08:16 AM »

If it's a smoother hilt you want for spinning, you will love your Liberator.  I liked mine enough to buy a second one.  Also one to look at along those lines is the Dark Standard Issue without the vertical grooves (I recommend all sabers in thei Dark version, but really any version will work).  It's a smooth, simple saber with a touch of style from the slanted emitter.

And apparently I'm the only one on the forum who doesn't like having a ribbed grip of some kind on the saber.  I know a lot of people will put rubber o-rings in the grooves of the Initiate/Apprentice/Dominix/Sentinel lines especially, for a better grip both sparring and spinning.  I greatly prefer a smooth grip for both combat and twirling, mostly since I tend to slide my hands when doing both, and I prefer not to have things in the way when I do.

One note, in the Parts section of the main site, under Blades, they do offer custom length blades. It only has the Ultra Edge Mid Grade listed, with available lengths between 4" and 48".  If you ask them, I'm willing to bet you could work out something to get a custom length in a different blade type.  Or you can also get a longer one and cut it down yourself.  There's a couple of threads on how to do it and it's pretty easy.

Thanks, Vivectius!  I'm so ready to unbox my Liberator!  I appreciate the thumbs up!   There is going to be a spinfest at my house whenever i get my shipment!  Smiley

I've had my eye on the standard issue sabers too!  There are not enough slanted emitters in the world, IMHO.  That's one reason I really like the look of the Prophecy and also the Reapers.  Smiley 

Great info on the customer saber lengths!  I will have to order through that section or start adding comments with that request.  I am not sure I'm brave enough to cut my own. 

My Sabers:

Aeon LE v4 DVA^**
Dominix LE v4 BR^**
Prophecy GB**
Dark Liberator CG*

Wishlist...

Liora Rey
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2017, 06:11:59 AM »

And a point to you, JediXIX for finding this pic!  I keep going back to take another look! 

My Sabers:

Aeon LE v4 DVA^**
Dominix LE v4 BR^**
Prophecy GB**
Dark Liberator CG*

Wishlist...

Vivectius
Dark Liberator of Lost Posts
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -719

I always feel like he’s judging my posts.

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2017, 06:21:09 AM »

First, an Azure Reaper.  I'll see if I can find better, or most likely JediXIX will beat me to it as usual:

Ok, here's another decent one:

Moving on... To respond to various posts and bits...

The Dark Standard Issue was my first saber (a raffle entry no less, won a 4th place prize, got a Sentinel LE, discovered to my surprise that I actually liked the Sentinel) and it remains my favorite of the eight I own.

Is a bokken spinnable?  Yes.   Should it be spun? Not really. It's easier to be flashy and spin something like a Lightsaber than an actual sword, or even wooden practice one.  But I am curious to know what you think of the kendo class after you visit.  My current bokken are actually made of polypropylene plastic, and are about as close to indestructible as you can get, at least through normal use. Yes, they can be cut, and being run over by a train will pretty much destroy one, but short of that they'll never break.  I've had too many wooden ones break on me (literally in a couple of cases), and the polypropylene ones are heavier as well.

If Dauntless's sword breaker looks like what I think it does, it merely confirms my opinion of her  Wink. One day I'll have to manage a visit.

One way to try out blade lengths is to get some dowel rods (I recommend at least 1 1/2" diameter) at a hardware store, put a line of tape where the hilt would end and the blade begins, and then cut them to various lengths to see how you like the feel of each.  If you really want to develope strength and control, get a length of metal pipe the length of your saber and practice with it.  It's not easy, especially at first, but you'll get good results after a while.  And after practicing with it, your saber will feel really, really light.

You only live once. Wrong.
You only die once.  You live every moment of your life.
The question is, are you alive, and living your life? Or just here, and watching your life go by?
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to death
 Nor known to life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet those hands will never hold anything
 So, as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: