Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: A Tale of Three Sabers  (Read 8371 times)
scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« on: January 20, 2017, 01:37:59 AM »

This is my eighth order from Ultra Sabers, constituting Ultra Sabers #10 and 11, with an entry in the Winter Raffle, which earned me Ultra Saber #12. Here's a group shot of my order and winning sabers, then we'll break down everything into a review:

Left to right: Dominix LE V4 in Guardian Blue, Dominix LE V2 in Adegan Silver, Lost Gray in Consular Green

Saber #1: The Lost Gray

For my first entry saber, I chose the Lost Gray, based on Ahsoka Tano's off hand weapon, which was introduced in the third season of Clone Wars, where they decided to give her a more mature look and a second weapon.  What for her was an off hand weapon, is in fact a quite large saber from Ultra Sabers, large enough to use as a two handed main weapon.  With this one, I went with the Consular Green LED color, to match what she had on the show.  (plus, it's an awesome color)  I went with a 36-inch heavy grade blade, to offset what I figured was a heavy hilt, and I was correct.  With that blade, it makes the saber quite comfortable to spin, whereas a mid grade blade would be too hilt heavy.  It's just a stunt saber, as I wasn't able to afford sound at this time.  However, I'll add sound to it myself a bit later on.

Now for some pictures:

As I said, it's big.  Over 12 inches long, probably about 12.5, according to my 12" ruler.  It's thick too, 1.6 inches wide.  The construction is quite impressive.  The body appears to be two pieces, the inner black part is one piece, and is what the blade and pommel attach to. The silver outer part appears to be a shell.  I don't believe it's removable, nor would I really want to, as the point of buying this is the complete look.  I love the detail on the hilt, with the cut-outs that allow you to see through to the black part.  The bronze and black buttons are also nice, and I love that it comes with an AV switch standard.  And, of course, the Covertec is a great option for belt hanging.  The pommel is nice and heavy and very sturdy feeling, it's one beautifully machined piece.

Here are some more pics of it, this time on a stand with the blade lit:

Pictures just don't do this thing justice, especially my pictures. Wink It is just beautiful in person, and truly a joy to handle.  I'm so glad I purchased this, I think it may be my most beautiful Ultra Saber, and I own an Electrum Wind. Cheesy  I'm really looking forward to completing it by adding sound, when I can afford to.

My hilt didn't come unmarked.  I did have some black marks on it when I got it:

By the way, it was hard to get these pics because it's so shiny.  The marks kept not showing up due to reflections.  Anyway, it took me about two seconds of looking at these to figure out why they aren't an issue.  I realized right away that they are marker, probably something like a Sharpie.  Likely, the machinist put them on there to mark where holes for the switch and bronze buttons went.  In a rush to get the saber done, this wasn't removed.  The marker is easy to remove, though.  I dipped a cotton swab in isopropyl alcohol (fortunately, I have these on hand for cleaning video games) and took it right off.  Now it's perfect.  I'm so happy with this purchase and that I was able to add this beauty to my collection.

Saber #2: The Dominix LE V2

To fill out my order, I needed to spend $71.  In Ultra Sabers, there are a lot of sabers in that range.  I chose the Dominix LE V2 because I love my Aeon V2s and I've been wanting a black and silver hilt for some time.  That saber is $69.99, which didn't quite get me to that $71 mark.  So, I chose Adegan Silver with color discs for my blade color.  I really like the silver, I think it completes the look, as the entire hilt and even the switch are black and silver.  The color discs are fun, but not super or anything.  They're a cheap color change option, but not for vibrant colors.  The red looks pink, the pink filters look even lighter pink.  The greens, blues and purples are very light, though that's not necessarily a bad thing.  I have vibrant blues and greens already, so I didn't need more of those.  I also have a red bladed saber.  Plus, one of the greens gives you a pale green that reminds me of the Viridian blades in the game Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords.  The purples are actually quite nice, similar to the color of Mace Windu's blade.  The orange and yellows are the most vibrant colors.  The orange is only a bit more pale than Fire Orange, and there are two yellows.  One yellow is straight yellow, the other is more of an amber color.  Both work great.  All said, I'd say the filters are worth $2, even if you're not trying to get into a raffle.

Anyway, here are the Dominix LE V2 pics:

Not only do I love the black and silver look of this hilt, I really love the straightforward lines.  When choosing a hilt to practice saber combat or spinning, I want a hilt without a lot of extra stuff going on.  This hilt has no unnecessary details, no sharp edges and no bobs or bits to get in your way.  Just straight awesome.  It even has an advantage over my Aeon V2s, as I didn't have them put a Covertec wheel on it.  I chose a 36" mid grade blade, which gives the saber great balance for spinning.  And, unlike the blade that came with my Electrum Wind, the blade film doesn't have marks in it.  All said, I'm very happy with this purchase.

Saber #3: The Dominix LE V4

Last but certainly not least is my prize.  I won one of the 3rd place prizes in the raffle, so I won a random hilt with Li-Ion batteries.  With the way these were positioned in the box and where I opened it, this was the first hilt I found.  I knew it was a Dominix LE, but the groove sizes and spacing told me it wasn't the V2 I ordered, so I knew it was my prize and that it was a V4.  I was really happy when I saw it through the bubble wrap, as I've been wanting one of these for some time.  I was even happier when I unwrapped it and saw the blue button, as I love blue blades with dark hilts.  I fired it up and, sure enough, it's Guardian Blue.  It came with a 36" ultra edge mid grade blade, which was the only Ultra Sabers blade type I didn't already have.

This is a gorgeous hilt.  I already had the "light side" version, the Aeon LE V4, so I knew I loved the hilt.  To me, the black and silver is even more eye catching than the silver and gold.  It didn't come with windows in the emitter, which is how I prefer this hilt. I like to grip this design up around the emitter, using the concave section as a choke point.  The windows on my Initiate LE V4 make that uncomfortable without gloves, so I'm glad I don't have them.  This hilt is really comfortable in the hands, even more so than my Aeon because, like my V2s, the Aeon LE V4 has a Covertec.  This has nothing to get in the way of me getting a good grip on the saber.  The mid grade blade gives it a good balance for spinning.  I have a feeling this is going to be one of my go-to hilts for doing fun and wacky stuff.  Cheesy

So, that's my order and my prize.  Thank you Emory Harris and Ultra Sabers for this wonderful raffle and prize.  I'm once again floored by the generosity of this company.  As configured, my prize saber would have cost me $97.99, I got it absolutely free.  All I had to do was order two sabers that I was planning to order anyway.  Cool

Landen Se-Sentien
Shadow Sentinel of the Manticore Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1828

I work in the Darkness in service of the Light

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 02:44:27 AM »

Great reviews and pictures, SFD. I especially appreciate your thoughts on the Lost Gray and it's hilt to blade weight ratio.

Point.

Signature banner by DarthScrub

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 03:00:48 AM »

Thanks Landen.  Yeah, the Lost Gray has a nice feel to it, but I definitely wouldn't recommend a mid grade blade with a hilt that heavy.  I made that mistake with my Electrum Wind.

Landen Se-Sentien
Shadow Sentinel of the Manticore Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1828

I work in the Darkness in service of the Light

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 03:29:31 AM »

Thanks Landen.  Yeah, the Lost Gray has a nice feel to it, but I definitely wouldn't recommend a mid grade blade with a hilt that heavy.  I made that mistake with my Electrum Wind.

I always get HG blades, because I have a tendency to hit hard even when I'm not trying, but I do own a couple mid grade blades for practice or for friends who don't make such extreme contact, so I understand what you're talking about. Some hilts just feel better balanced with different blades, and it's nice to know what setup works best when comparing hilts. The information you provided does that, and it's a nice touch to read about the entire saber and not just the hilt, but you also managed to do a good job on that part, too.

Again, very well done.

Signature banner by DarthScrub

Lord Canterbury
Dark Knight of The Scorpion Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1313

Fish Fingers & Custard

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 03:31:18 AM »

Nice!

I'm thinking about getting a V2 at some point as well and switching out the standard pack with a 3.7 V Nitecore 18650 with the 3400 mAh capacity; killer battery life.

Also love the prize you got!  It's actually great it came without windows.  They look awesome on that model, but they can rub the skin a bit when you spin them.  I'd love to try a v4 Dom without them.

Winning? Is that what you think it's about? I'm not trying to win. I'm not doing this because I want to beat someone, or because I hate someone, or because I want to blame someone. It's not because it's fun. God knows it's not because it's easy. It's not even because it works, because it hardly ever does. I do what I do because it's right! Because it's decent! And above all, it's kind! It's just that. Just kind.

~ The 12th Doctor in "The Doctor Falls"

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 03:34:29 AM »

Landen: I like the mid grade better for lower tier hilts.  I actually always bought heavy grade, but I put my mid grade from my Electrum Wind into my Aeon V3 and found it spins much more effortlessly than with the HG that I bought for it.  (it was a grab bag blade, and they sent me HG)  But, those lighter hilts are better balanced with a lighter blade.  I definitely would switch to a HG for dueling, though.  But, for practice and spins, MG works great.  However, the heavier hilt definitely needs a heavier blade to retain balance.

Lord C: Thanks a lot, man.  I love the V2s, so great for spinning and practicing saber combat.  I hadn't thought of doing an 18650 upgrade, but that's a good idea.  I definitely love my prize.  I was thinking a bit ago that all I need is an Obsidian board, a momentary guarded switch, a speaker holder and a speaker and I can upgrade it to sound, since it came with Li-Ion batteries.  Cool

Jeadus Teal
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 203

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 05:54:09 AM »

Very nice indeed. Point.  Smiley

" Who's the more foolish? The fool, or the fool who follows him?"

“Do or do not. There is no try.”

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 05:57:26 AM »

Thanks. Cool

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 06:14:13 AM »

Very nice sabers. Some of my favorite designs there.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -473

Either you like Star Wars... Or you're wrong.

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 06:29:46 AM »

Great trio of sabers! Truly all formidable weapons of a Jedi and your pictures look great, really  👍🏼

Loved hearing your impressions and opinions of those sabers and especially your gratitude and perspective for the raffle. We all know that Emory doesn't have to do these, because we'd all buy sabers anyway because their sabers are the best in the galaxy. Very good review. Thanks for sharing - good stuff!  +1

My Top 3 Favorite Sabers: Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand and Shock LE

Lord Japarco
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 479

Keep your concentration here and now,...

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 01:24:02 PM »

Congrats for your new sabers and for that prize. Hope you enjoy them a lot. Point for sharing your experience and pics. They look great.

http://s1074.photobucket.com/user/Japarco/media/Sentinel%20V4/ffc14996-49bb-425b-9122-f4cd848e3103_zpszdtmyzgk.jpg.html
My Lightsabers:
Sentinel V4 - Tri Consular Green - Obsidian V4
The Guardian - Guardian Blue - Silver Flash on Clash - Obsidian V3 (2nd Summer Raffle 2016 2nd Place Prize)
Wife's Lightsaber: Prophecy V3 - Arctic Blue - Obsidian V3

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2017, 02:41:12 PM »

Thanks a lot, Taegin Roan, Lord Bladewraith and Lord Japarco.  Smiley

Master Resolute
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -453

Dark Jedi

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2017, 02:50:42 PM »

Very nice review. Great saber choices. The Lost Gray is one of my favorites. I use a 30'' ultra edge standard myself but I like the weight in the hilt for spinning personally. I find I can get it going faster than a more balanced approach. Also easier for palm spins ( for me ). One thing for sure, using a heavy grade will increase your strength and control very quickly.

-- Remember....your Focus determines your Reality. --
-- If you gaze long enough into the Abyss, the Abyss will gaze back into you --

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2017, 02:54:14 PM »

Thanks a lot, RyanG83Jkd.  When I speak of spinning, I mean my rudimentary attempts at doing orbits, not the spinning you do. (I'm trying to get better at it so I can move on to some more advanced stuff) If I spun like you, I may like a different blade.  But then, I have 24 and 32 inch HG blades too, so I could easily swap it out if necessary.

Master Resolute
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -453

Dark Jedi

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2017, 02:57:47 PM »

Nice. I might actually grab some 24'' HG myself for my saber staff. ThAt being said do you have a quick release coupler yet? Man they are fun..

Im starting to feel like the quick release coupler ambassador....lol..

-- Remember....your Focus determines your Reality. --
-- If you gaze long enough into the Abyss, the Abyss will gaze back into you --

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: