Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: FEROCITY - LCC WINNER 2012  (Read 5205 times)
Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« on: January 20, 2017, 04:19:17 PM »

LCC (Lightsaber Choreography Competition) happens every year. Conceptualised in 2002 by Star Wars fan film makers to see who could create the best lightsaber fight. A lot of people may be aware of the Ryan vs Brandon and Ryan vs Dorkman series of videos, but personally, this is one of my favourites

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faQO57Iwlo0" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faQO57Iwlo0</a>

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 04:59:28 PM »

Sweet!  Something to watch on the bus ride to work. These guys are cool.  Cool

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 03:55:01 AM »

Watching these always makes me a bit bitter about my film I never got to make...

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Darth Calon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -480

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 04:34:21 AM »

This is why I love me a saberstaff.

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 04:35:57 AM »

I really liked this one, wonderful choreography.  It's funny reading some of the comments, though.  One person said no true swordsman would throw his sabers like the one guy did.  Well, it's called choreography, dude.  The whole point is to do stuff that looks cool.  Wink

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 07:05:52 AM »

That was pretty cool. I can see some mistakes that wouldn't have been made in a real battle, but like SFD said, it's choreography, so I don't mind to much.

@Tepes: You should totally make your movie sometime.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 03:29:13 PM »

Watching these always makes me a bit bitter about my film I never got to make...
Why don't you make it? Doesn't have to be Hollywood level production values.

Ars gratia artis

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 03:32:45 PM »

Why don't you make it? Doesn't have to be Hollywood level production values.

Indeed.  As long as you love what you're doing and have fun making it.  That's what matters.  Plus, that's one more thing you can cross off the ol' bucket list.  Smiley

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 03:37:40 PM »

Indeed.  As long as you love what you're doing and have fun making it.  That's what matters.  Plus, that's one more thing you can cross off the ol' bucket list.  Smiley
Exactly. Just being able to say "I made that" is a great feeling. Lots of people criticise and comment (as shown on Youtube) but very few actually go out there and make something

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 03:38:52 PM »

Yeah, those people tick me off.  I want to say, "let's see yours."  You know they can't do any better.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 03:41:48 PM »

Yeah, those people tick me off.  I want to say, "let's see yours."  You know they can't do any better.
There was one guy in the comments of the "Hoshino" short film criticising it and boasting that he could do better. Someone asked him why he didn't then and he said, he can't right now because of lack of resources or something.

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 04:44:43 PM »

There was one guy in the comments of the "Hoshino" short film criticising it and boasting that he could do better. Someone asked him why he didn't then and he said, he can't right now because of lack of resources or something.

Yeah, there's always some excuse or another with those people.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2017, 04:53:39 PM »

Yeah, there's always some excuse or another with those people.
Yep. It's always easier to criticise than to create.

What really annoys me are those comments that just flat out and say "it's crap" or "that was sh*t". Obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion, but there is no need to be so rude, especially when a team of people worked so hard to create something.

On the plus side, I am bracing myself for all the negative comments that will come my way once my film is ready and is posted online.

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2017, 05:04:14 PM »

I agree with you 100%.  If you don't have anything nice to say, keep your trap shut.

I was involved in a little Star Trek fan film. (it went nowhere beyond some trailers, due to BTS bickering) No real professionals, other than a few actors.  I'm an amateur (hobby level) CG artist, mainly self taught.  I was making the ships and doing some animation work, even though animation isn't my forte.  Another guy came on to do the animations and green screen removal, etc.  (fortunately, since I don't do GS removal)  Anyway, this was shortly after Prelude to Axanar came out.  All we kept getting was criticism for not being as good as Axanar.  Of course not, we're not professionals!  Tobias Richter is a professional, he has his own SFX company in Germany.  He's also a really cool guy, I know him from some of the forums.  He's the guy doing the Axanar effects.  Of course they're going to be awesome.  The problem is that people on the Internet get spoiled by professionals doing stuff and don't have any idea just how much work goes into a film.  It's not like you just whip one up, and it's not like fan films are going to be professional level endeavors.  The whole point is fans doing something cool, not something professional.  I wish people would get that.

Anyway, sorry for veering off course.  Fan films are a passion of mine, and I enjoy them as they are, not as someone else would make them.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2017, 05:14:55 PM »

I agree with you 100%.  If you don't have anything nice to say, keep your trap shut.

I was involved in a little Star Trek fan film. (it went nowhere beyond some trailers, due to BTS bickering) No real professionals, other than a few actors.  I'm an amateur (hobby level) CG artist, mainly self taught.  I was making the ships and doing some animation work, even though animation isn't my forte.  Another guy came on to do the animations and green screen removal, etc.  (fortunately, since I don't do GS removal)  Anyway, this was shortly after Prelude to Axanar came out.  All we kept getting was criticism for not being as good as Axanar.  Of course not, we're not professionals!  Tobias Richter is a professional, he has his own SFX company in Germany.  He's also a really cool guy, I know him from some of the forums.  He's the guy doing the Axanar effects.  Of course they're going to be awesome.  The problem is that people on the Internet get spoiled by professionals doing stuff and don't have any idea just how much work goes into a film.  It's not like you just whip one up, and it's not like fan films are going to be professional level endeavors.  The whole point is fans doing something cool, not something professional.  I wish people would get that.

Anyway, sorry for veering off course.  Fan films are a passion of mine, and I enjoy them as they are, not as someone else would make them.
Exactly. I think some people on the internet forget that fan films are just that "fan" films. These are amateurs who are doing low, micro budgeted projects. Hollywood films have million dollar budgets, most fan films are made from under $10,000. And yet they get so much criticism from some online trolls.

What really annoys me is when trolls complain that the film doesn't adhere to canon (particularly Star Wars fan films) or is unrealistic. The biggest complaint though is that "so many films happen in forest". Where else are you supposed to film to make it believable that the film takes place on an alien planet? Not everyone has access to mountains, snow or desert environments.  Grrr!

I love that Lucasfilm (and now Disney) recognise that it is the fans that are responsible for the success of the franchise and allow them to pretty much do anything fan film wise.

And technically, as this conversation is about fan films it is still on topic

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: