Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Cutting blades?  (Read 1030 times)
doomblade0
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -21

« on: January 22, 2017, 12:19:42 AM »

Has anyone cut their blades?

I read something on this forum about someone scrapping their blades for blade plugs, which led me to think of, if you do cut off some for a blade plug, will the rest still be usable as a shorter blade?

I was curious as to what might happen to the blades if they were cut, say for someone who has a lot of the same size and wants a shorter blade, and they cut it, will it look the same? maybe a bit gnarled where it was cut, but obviously wouldn't mess up the rest of the blade? or maybe the way the bottom of blades actually serve a purpose for the way the curve in?

Thanks for any responses/advice to my questions!  I really appreciate them!
Grab Bag Stunts:
Aeon v4 - Blazing Red
Standard Issue - Fire Orange

OlynKhorn
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -47

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 12:33:43 AM »

I've cut one of my blades before, and it turned out fine. I cut the blade, cut the film a little shorter, pushed the film up to the top, and lastly glued it back in. Turned out just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lightsabers owned: Dark Apprentice V4 LE saber staff in Blazing Red, Dominix V4 in Blazing Red, Mantis in Consular Green, Fulcrum in Guardian Blue, Archon V3 in Sentinel Yellow, Intiate V4 LE saber staff in Consular Green, Renegade LE saberspear in FO, Dark Catalyst in VA

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -473

Either you like Star Wars... Or you're wrong.

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 12:49:40 AM »

I've cut about 4 of my blades using this 1 1/8 inch mini tube cutter:

and it works quite well by tightening very little by little until eventually it has cut evenly around the circumference of the blade. Then I cut through the film with an X-acto knife, which even with a brand new blade takes a bit of time, too, to cut through it, gradually.  Personally I did not re-glue mine back in, because 1) I was lazy and didn't want to, 2) I read that it can help you avoid wrinkling from blade flex when it's not glued in and 3) it didn't seem to matter much as there is a very slight ridge on the inside edge of the end you cut enough that the film won't slide out anyway.

The end of the blade where it is cut, if cut slowly/gradually with the above tool, will have a nice finished look, nearly identical to the way it looked before it was cut.

My Top 3 Favorite Sabers: Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand and Shock LE

Hansrad
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -670

Jedi? Sith? I'm the one with the lightsaber.

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 01:08:59 AM »

I cut mine the same way as Lord Bladewraith suggested.works really well and leaves a nice edge. Most importantly no real way to cut yourself in the process.

Own: Emerald Overlord, BHManticore, BR Renegade,FO Dominix LE V4 (stunt), CG Dominix LE V4 (stunt), GB Apprentice LE(stunt),BR Dark Initiate LE V4 (stunt), AS Apprentice LE V4 (stunt), CG Dominix V3 (stunt), SRD Darkish Liberator (stunt) Emerald Lost Grey.

Corwyn VonBeck
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -340

Grey Knight

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 01:14:21 AM »

Hehe, first one I cut with a hacksaw, after finding I blunted the heck out of my pipe cutter when I used to to cut an aluminum tube.. lol  Not the straightest or neatest cut in the world, but it worked! Scissors took care of the film for me.

doomblade0
Knight Officer

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 02:04:09 AM »

Awesome! I assumed that it would be okay, and even if the bottom didn't look good, if in a saber it wouldn't be seen anyway.
I don't have one of those to cut my blade sadly. I was thinking of using a chop saw to cut it...I assume that wouldn't yield too different results?

Grab Bag Stunts:
Aeon v4 - Blazing Red

Vivectius
Dark Liberator of Lost Posts
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -719

I always feel like he’s judging my posts.

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 03:11:44 AM »

See here: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=20159.0

There are tutorial videos on YouTube as well that you can search for.

You only live once. Wrong.
You only die once.  You live every moment of your life.
The question is, are you alive, and living your life? Or just here, and watching your life go by?
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to death
 Nor known to life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet those hands will never hold anything
 So, as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works.

doomblade0
Knight Officer

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2017, 06:40:59 PM »

See here: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=20159.0

There are tutorial videos on YouTube as well that you can search for.

Thanks!!

Grab Bag Stunts:
Aeon v4 - Blazing Red

Isola815
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 594

"Most Redacted"

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 09:59:31 AM »

I'm heavy handed, so I cut through my blade and film in one go with a cutting wheel  Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin

Corwyn VonBeck
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -340

Grey Knight

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 03:37:40 PM »

I'm heavy handed, so I cut through my blade and film in one go with a cutting wheel  Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin
Heavy Handed? with such delicate touches to modify your Prophecy? I'm shocked... stunned I tell you! Cheesy

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: