Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Scratches?  (Read 6165 times)
Kai-Yen
Knight Major

Force Alignment: 123

« on: January 22, 2017, 01:52:44 AM »

Has anyone found any creative ways to get nasty scratches off our Ultrasabers hilts?  OMG a kid came over and got his hands on my lightsabers unsupervised and there is a lovely 4" scratch as a result.

K

Sabers Owned:  Azure Reaper (AB), Crimson Reaper (AS), Apprentice (BH).

Corwyn VonBeck
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -340

Grey Knight

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 02:08:44 AM »

Depends how deep the scratch is, whether it is anodized or not, etc.
A lot of surface scratches can just be polished out.

Isola815
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 594

"Most Redacted"

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 02:39:10 AM »

Embrace it  Grin join the modified side  Cool

But yes, if it's not deep and it's more of a scuff than a scratch just try some metal polish and a soft cotton rag or microfiber cloth  Wink

You may have to polish the entire hilt though so you don't wind up with one extra shiny spot where the scratch was Smiley

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -473

Either you like Star Wars... Or you're wrong.

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 04:04:56 AM »

I got some advice from Marlena at Ultra Sabers customer service when I had a similar concern a couple of months ago:

"We use MAAS for our metal polish and it gets out machine marks and light scratches and shines the hilt up really purty!!! You can use that on your other sabers as well, just don’t use it on decorative buttons."

This only applies to the aluminum or nickel plated finish sabers. This should not be used on any saber that has an anodized finish. In the 3 months that I've been using it, I can confirm it works really well, especially on a nickel finish. A very small amount dabbed on a soft micro fiber cloth rubbing the hilt with moderate pressure gently buffs away the scratches or scuffs by removing micro thin layers of metal and thus eliminating the edges of a scratch or scuff. Sometimes a couple of passes are required, then polish it up nice with a separate clean micro fiber or super soft cotton cloth. I bought a mini tub of it on Amazon here:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0008E0AFS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_FI3GpupaT2V4Q

or direct from MAAS here:

https://www.maasinc.com

Definitely get the tub rather than the tube, because it doesn't stay mixed too well in the tube, but the tub doesn't have this issue.

I bought these micro fiber cloths for mine - they're excellent quality:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I95PZUS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_ALKmDh68t5BLh

My Top 3 Favorite Sabers: Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand and Shock LE

Akacen
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 64

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 03:16:06 AM »

Has anyone found any creative ways to get nasty scratches off our Ultrasabers hilts?  OMG a kid came over and got his hands on my lightsabers unsupervised and there is a lovely 4" scratch as a result.

K
I got some advice from Marlena at Ultra Sabers customer service when I had a similar concern a couple of months ago:

"We use MAAS for our metal polish and it gets out machine marks and light scratches and shines the hilt up really purty!!! You can use that on your other sabers as well, just don’t use it on decorative buttons."

This only applies to the aluminum or nickel plated finish sabers. This should not be used on any saber that has an anodized finish. In the 3 months that I've been using it, I can confirm it works really well, especially on a nickel finish. A very small amount dabbed on a soft micro fiber cloth rubbing the hilt with moderate pressure gently buffs away the scratches or scuffs by removing micro thin layers of metal and thus eliminating the edges of a scratch or scuff. Sometimes a couple of passes are required, then polish it up nice with a separate clean micro fiber or super soft cotton cloth. I bought a mini tub of it on Amazon here:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0008E0AFS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_FI3GpupaT2V4Q

or direct from MAAS here:

https://www.maasinc.com

Definitely get the tub rather than the tube, because it doesn't stay mixed too well in the tube, but the tub doesn't have this issue.

I bought these micro fiber cloths for mine - they're excellent quality:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I95PZUS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_ALKmDh68t5BLh

Thank you for the question and the answer. I'll have to get my hands on some of that.

LS points please. ^.^

My Sabers:
Stunt: Initiate (CG), Catalyst (SRD), Mantis CE (AB), Aeon v2 (CG), Dark Apprentice v4 (BR), Dark Initiate v4 (CG), Apprentice LE v5 (AB), Sentinel LE v5 (AB, SRD), Aeon LE v5 (SRD), Arbiter (GB), Consular (CG), Spectre (FO)
Lite Sound: Catalyst (SRD), Sentinel LE V4 (AB)
V4 Sound: Aeon LE v4 (CG), Bellicose (FO), Lost Gray (SRD)
Emerald: Fulcrum

Wishlist: Grand Master LE (currently in cart), Savior, Brood Guard SE, Dorinian, Flamberge CE, Shock LE, Dark War Glaive, Guardian

PrincessKnowItAll
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 09:42:34 PM »

Hey, if the scratches are not super deep and it is silver you can use a fine sandpaper before you polish as well.

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 11:12:05 PM »

Hey, if the scratches are not super deep and it is silver you can use a fine sandpaper before you polish as well.

Wow, really.  Shocked  That's pretty cool, PKIA.  Never would've imagined that.  Thanks!  Have a point!   Grin

Kai-Yen
Knight Major

Force Alignment: 123

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 04:16:10 AM »

Lord BL - the MAAS polish worked like a charm as I was able to score some at the local Ace hardware for like $6.50 and not have to pay for shipping.  These were some very deep sharp scratches I was able to buff out of my Lost Grey successfully.  Now after 1 treatment the saber looks like it had s very minor scrape from accidentally dropping it or maybe an accidental strike while dueling.

There is a little bit of cloudiness / haze associated my first coat as I did try to spread around evenly around the entire surface area as suggested.  My question is how often or frequent can we use Maas polish on our sabers?  Any down side to giving it numerous rub downs?

K

Sabers Owned:  Azure Reaper (AB), Crimson Reaper (AS), Apprentice (BH).

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 07:10:08 AM »

Lord BL - the MAAS polish worked like a charm as I was able to score some at the local Ace hardware for like $6.50 and not have to pay for shipping.  These were some very deep sharp scratches I was able to buff out of my Lost Grey successfully.  Now after 1 treatment the saber looks like it had s very minor scrape from accidentally dropping it or maybe an accidental strike while dueling.

There is a little bit of cloudiness / haze associated my first coat as I did try to spread around evenly around the entire surface area as suggested.  My question is how often or frequent can we use Maas polish on our sabers?  Any down side to giving it numerous rub downs?

K
Yeah a cloudiness or haze might be from using a little too much at once. I'd recommend getting a clean, soft cotton cloth and buffing it. I sometimes will do a good breath exhale on it, too, to introduce the element of moisture by steam, and that helps clear it up a bit.

Dizzy Darth Vizzy
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -24

Fear The Dizzy Side Of The Force...

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 05:53:00 PM »

This is great stuff to know - and a point to LBW. I want to keep my Guardian scratch-free, and avoid Drahcir at all costs...    

(just kidding Drahcir...)  

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 08:51:36 PM »

Meh, scratches add character.  Tongue

Corwyn VonBeck
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -340

Grey Knight

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 08:55:00 PM »

This is great stuff to know - and a point to LBW.

LBW.... Howzat!!!! Cheesy
Sorry LB(W)... Cricket joke...

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2017, 05:26:31 AM »

This is great stuff to know - and a point to LBW. I want to keep my Guardian scratch-free, and avoid Drahcir at all costs...    

(just kidding Drahcir...)  

Why thank you, good sir!   Wink  To each his own, but I'm with you, especially when we're talking about the Guardian. Mine is the CE version and the favorite in my collection. Shiny sabery goodness is what I prefer.

Meh, scratches add character.  Tongue

They make me cringe.  Tongue

LBW.... Howzat!!!! Cheesy
Sorry LB(W)... Cricket joke...

Grin   Ok, I had to check into this, as I had no idea what you meant.  Leg Before Wicket, right?  Who called LBW on me!!??  Angry   

Heh, heh...

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2017, 05:54:55 AM »

They make me cringe.  Tongue

Heh, I was partly kidding.  I get where some people don't want them, they want to keep their hilts pristine, and I respect that.  Personally, I don't worry about a few scratches.  You're going to have them with aluminum, it being a soft metal.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2017, 05:58:55 AM »

Heh, I was partly kidding.  I get where some people don't want them, they want to keep their hilts pristine, and I respect that.  Personally, I don't worry about a few scratches.  You're going to have them with aluminum, it being a soft metal.

I don't mind them either. If they show up, then I don't have to worry about weathering. To me they make the saber feel well used.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: