Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Author Topic: Some Saber Designs  (Read 13746 times)
Manroon
Protector of Abused Dungeon Rancors
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 832

Nova Six, two lit and in the green.

« on: October 17, 2011, 10:33:56 PM »

So the other night I somehow got to thinking about sabers... (probably cause of some various saber related items I had on order) and somehow that led to me doing a couple of design sketches again. I haven't done any of these, dang, since senior year. Some of these are just totally random, but the main idea started and ended on designs for my first OC's saber, Sid Manroon. That saber has been floating in the back of my mind since Jr. High and has never gotten a real solid design. I think I FINALLY might have come up with one, a hybrid of the old stand in designs for his first and third sabers. Here's the designs.

S1 is a Manroon design, just throwing ideas around. Started as an Obi-Luke style, then I threw a shroud on it.
S2 was following the Horn pattern of building a saber inside something else, namely the barrel off an X-Wing's blaster cannon.
S3 was back on a Manroon design, this time with a basket because like Nero, I'd love to have one.
S4 is still Manroon, focusing more on hybridizing his 3 different stand in sabers.
S4.1 perfected the S4, bringing a little more of his first stand in into the mix. I think I MAY actually take a crack at getting this one made, either myself, or by a custom smith eventually. It'd have a gold blade, and some sort of soundboard. Obsidian, probably. IF I actually did this one, it would be my all out custom. In hilt recharge, accent LEDs.... the works.

Anyone wants to steal one of these designs, everything except the S4 series is up for grabs. Smiley So.... anyone have anything to say? Thoughts, suggestions? etc?

I am not a color...

A Knight can serve only one Master.

Kaiden Shardsbane
RP Training Mod
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -245

Inactive Member

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 10:44:06 PM »

Cool ideas Manroon!  I especially like the S4 sabers.

By the way, did you ever get that basket hilt mod done?

darth tratus
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -241

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 11:08:30 PM »

very nice designs manroon!

Manroon
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 11:25:08 PM »

Thanks guys!

Cool ideas Manroon!  I especially like the S4 sabers.

By the way, did you ever get that basket hilt mod done?

The S4's are my favs as well. Something about 4.1 just struck a chord in me, I really think I'm gonna get that built someday. It's just.... right.

And I have yet to do that basket hilt mod on my Prophecy, I'm waiting for Pops to remember to go to Orvac and pic up the wire we need to finish putting the thing back together, then I think I'll try the mod on it. I may also try it on a mock up PVC hilt I have laying around, but I'm not sure. I may actually finish that hilt and gift it out to someone. If so, I want to put the guts in it before I start on detail work. You can see from S3 though... the idea is never far from my thoughts.  Grin

I am not a color...

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 12:25:53 AM »

Damn. I wish I could draw that good.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Manroon
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 12:28:57 AM »

Really? These are just flat 1D concepts, no depth or anything to them. I didn't think they were that good art-wise, myself. lol My GF the art major couldn't even tell what they were till I turned em the other direction. Then she was all like 'Oooooooh..... lightsabers, right?' and I was all like *facepalm* 'Yes Hon.....' lol

I am not a color...

Qui-Tom Helms
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 149

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 01:14:05 AM »

I would like to see the S4.1 version as your final...Niiiice       What colors was you thinking silver, copper (ooo copper)?   Any hidden compartments for a crystal chamber?

=====================================================================
Zartom   Socerer (Healer)                             Qui-Tom  Sage (Healer)
Trenok   Bounty Hunter (Powertech)               Vartom   Knight (Sentinel)
=====================================================================

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 01:18:38 AM »

Really? These are just flat 1D concepts, no depth or anything to them. I didn't think they were that good art-wise, myself. lol My GF the art major couldn't even tell what they were till I turned em the other direction. Then she was all like 'Oooooooh..... lightsabers, right?' and I was all like *facepalm* 'Yes Hon.....' lol

LOL. It would have even worse had I drawn it, trust me. XD

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Manroon
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 05:18:30 PM »

I would like to see the S4.1 version as your final...Niiiice       What colors was you thinking silver, copper (ooo copper)?   Any hidden compartments for a crystal chamber?

I wasn't really sure on colors. The idea with S4, and more so with S4.1 even, is that it's a very skeletal saber. Like Kenobi's Ep IV, or Luke's Ep VI. The backstory would more or less involve this saber being built in the field, after a shipwreck stranding Manroon on Dathomir or someplace like it, so it'd all be 'standard' parts like the Luke Ep VI. Power cels, wiring, flash cup (emitter), regulators and etc pulled from the wrecked ship and coupled with a found pair of crystals. Later on, after running from Imperials, escaping the planet, etc.... the shroud would be added to put some of the 'masters influence' into the saber, making it look like the saber of the Jedi who instructed Manroon and so forth, and overall just cleaning the thing up some and finishing it off.

The emitter would likely be a base metal, and the grenade grips would be black, dark gray, or some kind of 'engine part' color. lol The shroud would be something fancy. Perhaps copper, as I DO like the copper look, or maybe something silver, or possibly even brass. I haven't decided yet. lol I would like the activation box to have or imitate the function of a real Graflex or Heiland Clamp, so the pommel would be removable in that fashion. I've also thought it might be cool to have a crystal chassis/chamber like in the high end Luke ANH replicas on FX Sabers, but I'm not sure if that would be realistic/practical. The main idea behind the functioning clamp I think is the ability to access the Obsidian Board I wanna have in it.

I also want to load it with in hilt recharge, a power or charge light, and a pair of accent LEDs. Oh, and I think I want to take further advantage of the clamp to make the shroud removable as well. Aside from that, the round part of the pommel would be a natural material. Either wood or stone. Not sure which. The wood would be easiest, but the stone would be cool too. I've also casually toyed with the thought of making that part an actual crystal. Not a crystal pommel or focusing crystal, but just a big hunk of crystal. Almost as if the pommel were a piece of permanently frozen ice. Not sure I'd really do that though, just bouncing ideas at this point.

I think I need to do another sketch to see how the In Universe guts of the thing would lay out before I get too into the Crystal Chamber type features and figuring out the pommel.... lol  Grin

I am not a color...

imperialknight23
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 154

I will remember you brothers and sisters, Always.

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 07:12:48 PM »

real quick since i heard that basket hilt thing.

the one on the left is 1 1/2" ring so would probably fit a hilt with some minor modding.

Prophecy SRD  Lucrecia
Drk Initiate V2 LE AS Redemption
Drk Initiate V3 LE GB Hope
Bellicose DVA AB  Lumineux

Manroon
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 08:30:14 PM »

ImpKnight.... what is it, where did you find it, and how can I get one?  Grin

I am not a color...

imperialknight23
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 154

I will remember you brothers and sisters, Always.

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 08:46:36 PM »

ImpKnight.... what is it, where did you find it, and how can I get one?  Grin

http://ironmongerarmory.com/hilts-2/ironmonger-basket-hilts

found it there. they have ordering info.  there's probably more out there.  this is just the first one i found.

Prophecy SRD  Lucrecia
Drk Initiate V2 LE AS Redemption
Drk Initiate V3 LE GB Hope
Bellicose DVA AB  Lumineux

Manroon
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 08:59:28 PM »

I thank you sir. Smiley

I am not a color...

Big Boss
Mandalore
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -323

Galactic basic you nerfherder! Do you speak it!?

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2011, 11:14:05 PM »

nice designs! Smiley as for the basket saber. some saber smith in the past made a rapier lightsaber heres the video plus pics hope you guys find it interesting.
http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn260/eastern57/Lightsaber%20Rapier/?start=all

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7t7fnigfMs" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7t7fnigfMs</a>
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 11:18:29 PM by Big Boss » Logged

One must die and one must live. No victory, no defeat. The survivor will carry on the fight. It is our destiny... The one who survives will inherit the title of Boss.-BIG BASS

lordgale119
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 4

I walk within both and neither...

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2011, 11:29:09 PM »

Very nice designs. I've wanted to draw some of Rivius's sabers for a while now (since he collects them and has a kajillion), but I've always only drawn them as an afterthought and never put much detail into 'em.
Now that I see these, I feel compelled to draw some of my own. Who knows, maybe Ultra's reading this thread right now, getting ideas...*rubs chin thoughtfully*

Blazing Red Aeon V2 LE: Heretikos
SRD w/ AB clash Bellicose: Arshaluys

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: