Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Emitter Windows Safety Concern  (Read 5091 times)
_jed1_kn1ght_
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 4

[Grey Jedi]

« on: January 26, 2017, 04:23:40 PM »

I have two Aeon v4's with windows in the emitters. One day during a sparring session my hand was on the emitter, on top of the windows. Without going into too much detail, this resulted in the windows slicing a big chunk of skin off of one of my finger. Has anyone else had this problem? And if so, any advice on a possible solution? As of right now I just have the windows wrapped with cloth.

-----------There is no dark side, nor a light side. There is only------------
                                        The FORCE.
                          I will do what I must to keep the
                                          BALANCE.

Faith Caine
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 102

Light side points, please.

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 04:43:13 PM »

A simple soultion to your problem would be to wear gloves. I have the Aeon LE v4 with windows in the emmiter and haven't had that problem with mine.

"This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as a blaster. An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age. " Obi-Wan Kenobi

Armory:
Aeon LE v4 in Guardian Blue Upgraded to Obsidian LITE Sound W/ FoC in Silver
Catalyst in DVA
Arbiter in GB Obs v4
Apprentice LE v4 in FO
Dark Liberator v3 in Tri-FO

Jediseth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 828

"If I told you, you wouldn't like it." Han Solo

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 04:55:37 PM »

You could maybe file around the windows and round them. Be careful not to mark the crap out the rest of the hilt or emitter. Never tried it but it sounds like it might work.

Guardian : GB, FOC Red, V4, 11-15                        Reaper: V4, BR, 4-17
Chosen One CE : Emerald, V4, 12-15
Consular: Emerald V4, 1-16
Manticore: BR, FOC Orange, QD, V4, 11-16
Monarch: Emerald, V4, 2016 Autumn Raffle -1st
Arbiter: V4, SD, Silver FOC, QD, 3-17
Archon V2.1, Diamond, 4-17

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 05:05:21 PM »

This is why I prefer my Aeon and Dominix V4s without windows.

A simple soultion to your problem would be to wear gloves. I have the Aeon LE v4 with windows in the emmiter and haven't had that problem with mine.

This.  You should, at minimum be wearing hand and head protection during sparring anyway.

_jed1_kn1ght_
Knight Aspirant

[Grey Jedi]

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 08:00:46 PM »

Faith Caine and scifidude79, it wasn't really much of a sparring. I was mostly fooling around and getting used to the hilt, and didn't need gloves. And when I'm just spinning or something like that, I prefer to not wear gloves, but if i can't find another solution I'll just always have to where gloves.

The FORCE.
                                          BALANCE.

_jed1_kn1ght_
Knight Aspirant

[Grey Jedi]

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 08:02:22 PM »

You could maybe file around the windows and round them. Be careful not to mark the crap out the rest of the hilt or emitter. Never tried it but it sounds like it might work.
I thought of doing something like that, but I'm not sure how I could do it.

The FORCE.
                                          BALANCE.

Dizzy Darth Vizzy
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -24

Fear The Dizzy Side Of The Force...

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 08:32:27 PM »

I have two Aeon v4's with windows in the emitters. One day during a sparring session my hand was on the emitter, on top of the windows. Without going into too much detail, this resulted in the windows slicing a big chunk of skin off of one of my finger. Has anyone else had this problem? And if so, any advice on a possible solution? As of right now I just have the windows wrapped with cloth.

Well, it is a lightsaber, so...  

Aayrick
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 25

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 09:35:37 PM »

I'd suggest getting a bit of emery cloth, or sand paper and lightly sand all the edges in the area.  You could also find some needle files and go that route, but you'll probably want to use fine grit paper afterwards and maybe even use a polishing wheel to get a really nice smooth finish. 

Is there a large lip or bur in the area where you got cut? 

I've got the same set up and one of the first things I did was to take a close look at everything.  I didn't find anything I thought might be an issue.  Is it possible for you to take a picture of the area that cut you?

Sentinel (staff) V4 Stunt w/Adegan Silver and Arctic Blue
Aeon V4, Obsidian lite w/Arctic Blue, flash silver on clash
Standard Issue Battle Saber w/Arctic Blue (from grab bag)

Corwyn VonBeck
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -340

Grey Knight

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 01:16:20 AM »

My prophecys have fairly sharp edges on the cutouts on the lower grip.. a bit of sandpaper will take care of that nicely if its not anodized

_jed1_kn1ght_
Knight Aspirant

[Grey Jedi]

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 03:09:20 PM »

I'd suggest getting a bit of emery cloth, or sand paper and lightly sand all the edges in the area.  You could also find some needle files and go that route, but you'll probably want to use fine grit paper afterwards and maybe even use a polishing wheel to get a really nice smooth finish. 

Is there a large lip or bur in the area where you got cut? 

I've got the same set up and one of the first things I did was to take a close look at everything.  I didn't find anything I thought might be an issue.  Is it possible for you to take a picture of the area that cut you?
There's not a rough spot. The edges of the windows are sharp, and that's actually what did it.

The FORCE.
                                          BALANCE.

Isola815
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 594

"Most Redacted"

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2017, 11:48:32 PM »

I had a sharp spot on the back of my Dark Catalyst that I only found when it sliced my finger open. It was one of the machined edges. I haven't encountered it on any of my other sabers though. Mine was the dark version, but as I was going to paint mine anyway I sanded the sharp edges off.

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2029

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2017, 12:02:09 AM »

Same type of design but its why I got my Dominix V4 saber without windows. I don't mind my Sentinel with windows though for some reason. The edges aren't as sharp

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

firehand10k
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 388

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2017, 07:04:56 PM »

I don't like holding my sabers over the windows because what's the point in having windows for show if I don't let them show, but when I do I haven't had any problems. As others have said you could try sanding or filing them just a little. I would try a fine grade sanding drum for a dremmel or other rotary tool.

On a side not is that covertec you have on one a US installed location? I haven't seen it there before.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

_jed1_kn1ght_
Knight Aspirant

[Grey Jedi]

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2017, 03:37:07 PM »

I don't like holding my sabers over the windows because what's the point in having windows for show if I don't let them show, but when I do I haven't had any problems. As others have said you could try sanding or filing them just a little. I would try a fine grade sanding drum for a dremmel or other rotary tool.

On a side not is that covertec you have on one a US installed location? I haven't seen it there before.
I got these two sabers with the intent of using them together as a saber staff most of the time, so I didn't want it where it normally go or it would get in the way. I requested to have it put closer to the emitter.

The FORCE.
                                          BALANCE.

obliviondoll
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: -21

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2017, 10:51:51 PM »

When ordering a Dominix LE v4, I was actually somewhat nervous about having this issue myself, but decided I could just not hold it by the windowed section if it came down to that. I guess I got lucky with not having any sharp edges - I've been able to grip there just fine. So far I haven't done full sparring yet, but I have done everything short of it with no issues. I have heavy gloves for proper duelling/sparring, but I prefer to wear fingerless gloves for other training. It just gives me a slightly better grip on a metal surface. I have done spinning and some form practise (not lightsaber forms, other martial arts), both with and without my light gloves, and had no trouble.

V^^^V
It's not about rage, it's about *emotion*. Happiness is the Dark side, and I will face you with a smile.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: