Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: John Hurt Passes Away at 77  (Read 1455 times)
Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« on: January 28, 2017, 02:26:04 AM »

Actor Sir John Hurt has passed away at age 77, according to THR. He was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in 2015, though it is not clear if that was the cause of death. Hurt was knighted in 2015 by the Queen. He is survived by a wife and two sons.

Hurt began his career in the 1960s, with his first major role in A Man for All Seasons. He won two Golden Globes, for Midnight Express and The Elephant Man, the latter of which also earned him an Oscar nomination. Furthermore, he played Kane in Alien, the first person to have an alien burst out of his chest in the series. He later parodied the role in the Mel Brooks comedy Spaceballs.

In more recent years, he played wandmaker Garrick Ollivander in three of the Harry Potter films and co-starred as The War Doctor in the 50th anniversary special of Doctor Who. Hurt was also known for his voiceover work. He voiced Aragorn in the 1978 animated version of The Lord of the Rings, Hazel the Rabbit in Watership Down, and The Great Dragon on the TV series Merlin.

R.I.P. JOHN HURT — JANUARY 22, 1940 – JANUARY 27, 2017

Source: http://screenrant.com/john-hurt-dead-obituary/?utm_source=SR-FB-P&utm_medium=Social-Distribution&utm_campaign=SR-FB-P&view=lista

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Lord Canterbury
Dark Knight of The Scorpion Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1313

Fish Fingers & Custard

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 02:43:04 AM »

More sad news . . . just recently saw him in Snowpiercer & Only Lovers Left Alive . . . and caught him in Hellboy when that was recently on TV.

RIP.

Winning? Is that what you think it's about? I'm not trying to win. I'm not doing this because I want to beat someone, or because I hate someone, or because I want to blame someone. It's not because it's fun. God knows it's not because it's easy. It's not even because it works, because it hardly ever does. I do what I do because it's right! Because it's decent! And above all, it's kind! It's just that. Just kind.

~ The 12th Doctor in "The Doctor Falls"

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 02:50:01 AM »

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Corwyn VonBeck
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -340

Grey Knight

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 04:33:22 AM »

Sad, sad news.... a truly great man Cry

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 05:37:29 AM »

Damn, that's sad.  He was a good actor.

Majobu5
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 0

Agent Zero. No points

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 05:35:55 PM »

About John Hurt, I will say this.
Of all his roles, the Harry Potter roles(for which I don't know) the Alien role which is infamously known, his numourous character roles, the one that stands out to me is his portrayal as John Merrick, the Elephant Man.

As a child, my brother, 9 years my elder, would scare me with stories that the Elephant Man was going to come out of the closet and get me. Or that he was under my bed. We watched a program called "In Search Of" hosted by Leonard Nimoy and it did a show specifically on the Elephant Man. Scared the hell out of me. Wasn't til I was 17 that I saw the 1980 film The Elephant Man and John Hurt's performance humanized the once thought of hideous figure that I feared. He made me feel compassion and sorrow for him, cry and sympathize for the MAN! He was a man, after all! Not an animal! It is a great movie, Anthony Hopkins's teardrop at first sight of Mr. Merrick still sends a chill up my spine. Hearing John Hurt's muffled voice bashfully telling the gorgeous Anne Bancroft how beautiful she was is something I can still hear. Adagio for strings, people think I'm weird, but I have it on my playlist cuz first time I heard that song was from this film, when he lies down at the end, just wanting to sleep like a normal man. Just a great performance by a great man. He will be missed

No points, just fist bumps baby!

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -473

Either you like Star Wars... Or you're wrong.

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 02:10:18 AM »

Really, really gonna miss Sir John Vincent Hurt. I have always been delighted when I've discovered he'll be in a movie I want to see, because his reputation as an actor needed no introduction. He was phenomenal in everything. When he took on the role of Olivander for the HP movies, I was like, "yaaaaas, he'll be fantastic... Again! 👍"  And, of course, he nailed it beyond my highest expectations.  He was a true thespian committed to the fine art of acting and entertaining.

May he rest in peace.

My Top 3 Favorite Sabers: Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand and Shock LE

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 02:19:01 AM »

http://giphy.com/gifs/bGiUM9EBfIr8Q

(anyone know how to post gifs on the forum?)

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 02:39:57 AM »

http://giphy.com/gifs/bGiUM9EBfIr8Q

(anyone know how to post gifs on the forum?)

On a computer at the Giphy website, right click on the image and click on Copy Image Address (using Google Chrome in this case), or if using a smartphone, tap and hold on the image to copy the link, then using the insert img link option like you use to post regular pictures, paste the image link. Like this using your link above:

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 02:42:50 AM »

On a computer at the Giphy website, right click on the image and click on Copy Image Address (using Google Chrome in this case), or if using a smartphone, tap and hold on the image to copy the link, then using the insert img link option like you use to post regular pictures, paste the image link. Here is the link I get from yours below:

Not working on my computer. Could be cos I'm on a mac. Could be cos I'm on Safari. Could be cos my computer is getting old and is on it's last legs. No matter. It has been embedded now which is the main thing. Thanks.

He only played The Doctor once, but totally owned the role.

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 02:56:47 AM »

Not working on my computer. Could be cos I'm on a mac. Could be cos I'm on Safari. Could be cos my computer is getting old and is on it's last legs. No matter. It has been embedded now which is the main thing. Thanks.

Hey, Knox. Move your mouse over the image and Ctrl-click on the link. Ctrl-click on a Mac is exactly like right-click on a PC. To copy, Ctrl-click > Copy. To paste, Ctrl-click > Paste. Hope that helps 😊

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2765

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2017, 02:23:35 PM »

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: