Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Battery life -what should I expect?  (Read 1949 times)
Bouchbri25
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: January 29, 2017, 12:47:39 AM »

I trooped for the first time with my new Emerald Manticore CE with Obsidian sound today and I love the saber.  But I only got 40 minutes out of the batteries... is this normal? The hilt got quite hot compared to my wife and kids sabers -no sound regular batteries, tri-cree -and theirs lasted over 2hrs without a hint of effect.  I get that the sound is going to draw a lot more but is that typical? Is it the sound or just emerald driver that draws that much more juice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -473

Either you like Star Wars... Or you're wrong.

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 01:33:53 AM »

I trooped for the first time with my new Emerald Manticore CE with Obsidian sound today and I love the saber.  But I only got 40 minutes out of the batteries... is this normal? The hilt got quite hot compared to my wife and kids sabers -no sound regular batteries, tri-cree -and theirs lasted over 2hrs without a hint of effect.  I get that the sound is going to draw a lot more but is that typical? Is it the sound or just emerald driver that draws that much more juice?

Seems a little short for fully charged batteries. Before trooping when did you last charge the batteries? Some factors that affect battery life is 1) how many LEDs are being using for the color you set your blade color to through the Emerald Driver, because using only red, for example, will draw less power than violet amethyst, arctic blue or sunrider's destiny, which use multiple LEDs, 2) adding sound does draw quite a bit of power, so you could change to the silent sound font, #7, and that should help quite a bit.

My Top 3 Favorite Sabers: Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand and Shock LE

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 07:39:15 PM »

Seems quite short, although Emerald + sound can drain your batteries fairly quickly. When constantly running (idle), an Emerald sound saber should last more than an hour at least. Depending on the Emerald settings, of course - as Lord B already said.

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

Teagan Rea
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 30

Rise With Me Kin Ryuu

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 09:19:19 PM »

My cousin has the Manticore Emerald with V4 Obsidian Sound, yes the batteries do drain very fast. This is why he brought a extra rechargeable batteries from US and a charger to always have a set of batteries on ready.

{Light Side Points Please}

Jediseth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 828

"If I told you, you wouldn't like it." Han Solo

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 11:20:50 PM »

LB pretty much said it all. I have the Emerald RGBW and I don't really use the white led much I just turn it all the way down when changing colors on the program. I'm guessing that may help a little. I think having an extra set of batteries is a great idea. That's what I do.

Guardian : GB, FOC Red, V4, 11-15                        Reaper: V4, BR, 4-17
Chosen One CE : Emerald, V4, 12-15
Consular: Emerald V4, 1-16
Manticore: BR, FOC Orange, QD, V4, 11-16
Monarch: Emerald, V4, 2016 Autumn Raffle -1st
Arbiter: V4, SD, Silver FOC, QD, 3-17
Archon V2.1, Diamond, 4-17

lovetadraw
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: -175

Lawth VS Malice ~The End of Innocence

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 06:08:59 PM »

One thing I do for battery life is that if a color is a 50/50 blend or 33/33/33 etc, I don't just max out those values. My Gold yellow is RGandA at about 33% each as opposed to 100% each. It's still bright but doesn't die as fast. I imagine AB SRD VA and all could be done the same way, if absolute brightness isn't a must for you.

"Somewhere between darkness and light I reside, seek not to save me, for I needn't rescue."

Emerald Consular Staff (PO and Gold)
Chimera (Custom with Maticore emitter)
Cyan Short Boi (Modified Dark IniV2Le)
Kylo Ren-egade (Custom with Renegade parts)
MHS Luke Hero (Archon emitter)
Mustafar's Wake (Modified Dark Prophecy)
MHS Skywalker Saber
MHS Darth Zannah

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 3214

You can't take the sky from me....

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 12:16:11 AM »

I costume a lot and fairly accurately know the battery lives so I know how many I need to take Smiley my sabers with sound I budget for 40mins total- I can get more, but that's not usual. Sabers without sound but with lithium set up, anywhere from hr 20mins to 2hrs depending on the age and condition of the battery. I budget for 1.5 hours as an average.

Standard set up (regular batteries) last for hours. I haven't yet figured out the exact time coz those sabers don't get used as much, but I'm yet to change the batteries on my RGB grab bag, and my sisters twin initiate v3s have only had their batteries changed once

As a side note, I am often costuming when it's quite warm, even in winter inside in cons it is far from cold. I have has the heat shorten the expected battery time. And I am also running my sabers without sound solid in that time unless it is very hot coz then they heat up extremely quickly.

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

archon v2.1, consular, dominix v3 LE, bellicose, 2x dark initiate v3 LE, dark initiate v2 LE, Aeonix v2, raven, 2x shock, 2x manticore, electrum wind em/v4 obs

Bouchbri25
Force Sensitive

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 04:38:24 PM »

Thanks for all the great response! I did a little research and it makes sense if the saber draws 1000mah (seems common from other posts) an 800mah battery would last about 40min. Gonna just get 2000mah batteries and keep some spares charged up. Thanks again!

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 3214

You can't take the sky from me....

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 12:04:41 AM »

Thanks for all the great response! I did a little research and it makes sense if the saber draws 1000mah (seems common from other posts) an 800mah battery would last about 40min. Gonna just get 2000mah batteries and keep some spares charged up. Thanks again!

Make sure if you have Lithiums that you get regulated protected batteries that are a decent brand. We got some cheap batteries that stated a much higher mah rating and were supposedly protected, because someone locally said they had them with no problems (for different purpose). They died very quick in my sabers at which point I stopped using them immediately. Used them in an electronics project and it caused the Arduino and motor controller to blow up. They are fine for something that doesn't require a specific voltage to run, but is something is voltage regulated, no good.

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

archon v2.1, consular, dominix v3 LE, bellicose, 2x dark initiate v3 LE, dark initiate v2 LE, Aeonix v2, raven, 2x shock, 2x manticore, electrum wind em/v4 obs

Bouchbri25
Force Sensitive

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 05:43:10 PM »

Make sure if you have Lithiums that you get regulated protected batteries that are a decent brand. We got some cheap batteries that stated a much higher mah rating and were supposedly protected, because someone locally said they had them with no problems (for different purpose). They died very quick in my sabers at which point I stopped using them immediately. Used them in an electronics project and it caused the Arduino and motor controller to blow up. They are fine for something that doesn't require a specific voltage to run, but is something is voltage regulated, no good.

It says "protected",3.7v, and the correct size, and I was buying them through Amazon prime-how do I know if it's "good"? I certainly don't want my saber to blow up in my hand.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: