Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Needing information on Yellow Kyber Crystals for my character  (Read 6314 times)
LordVader0418
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -9

« on: January 29, 2017, 09:16:15 PM »

My Character uses an orange saber (courtesy of Ultrasabers grabbag) and I'm trying to create a backstory for it. Sense Orange is a mix of yellow and red I'm going for the idea of a jedi temple guard destined to use the dark side. But I can't find anything on where the temple guards yellow crystal comes from.

Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 338

Fretful Instigator of the Prismatic Order

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 10:10:36 PM »

Old Canon of the Extended Universe would give multiple sources for yellow crystals, as more than just Kyber could be used.

Disney Canon, as of now, would strongly suggest that only Kyber crystals can be lightsaber crystals. The color is usually preset in the crystal, and the Jedi will find the crystal on the planet Ilum when the crystal 'sings' to the user that is meant to have it according to the will of the Force...or something like that. The book Ahsoka has an example where a Sith stole a crystal from a Jedi and did darkside things to it, which turned it red. Ahsoka did nice things to it, turning it white. Maybe it was white before the Sith got it, or maybe she purified it in some way. Exactly where the line is drawn between red and reddish color mixes is not defined. But, Ilum is set as the main source for Kyber crystals that Jedi will obtain as the Force wills. So, maybe your character was a Sentinel but has turned somewhat dark and is forcing the crystal to follow.

If interested, here is a discussion already in motion...http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=32834.0

Selfish passion is unquenching.
What strength have you when you are a slave to your passions?
What power without strength of character?
To self centered rage, you will be chained.
The dark side is no victory.

The long path to peace is through balanced emotions.
The first step to gaining knowledge is recognizing your own ignorance.
Serenity is patient, not passionate satisfaction.
Find harmony by understanding chaos.
Become one with the force, which will never die.

LordVader0418
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 10:21:43 PM »

Old Canon of the Extended Universe would give multiple sources for yellow crystals, as more than just Kyber could be used.

Disney Canon, as of now, would strongly suggest that only Kyber crystals can be lightsaber crystals. The color is usually preset in the crystal, and the Jedi will find the crystal on the planet Ilum when the crystal 'sings' to the user that is meant to have it according to the will of the Force...or something like that. The book Ahsoka has an example where a Sith stole a crystal from a Jedi and did darkside things to it, which turned it red. Ahsoka did nice things to it, turning it white. Maybe it was white before the Sith got it, or maybe she purified it in some way. Exactly where the line is drawn between red and reddish color mixes is not defined. But, Ilum is set as the main source for Kyber crystals that Jedi will obtain as the Force wills. So, maybe your character was a Sentinel but has turned somewhat dark and is forcing the crystal to follow.

If interested, here is a discussion already in motion...http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=32834.0

I didn't know about the situation with Ashoka. I had heard the new canon explanation for imbuing the color onto the crystal (didn't know the crystal already had the color and spoke to the Jedi). I thought he crystals were found by the Jedi but still created whichever color correlated with the Jedi that went with it. With Yellow in particular there's no example of a Jedi turning a crystal yellow, only that the temple guard uses yellow crystals but even those have no story of where they come from. I was going to go with something along the lines of when a Jedi sentinel becomes a Jedi temple guard he meditates over his original crystal and it turns yellow to prove the Jedis commitment to becoming a temple guard.

LordVader0418
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 10:22:27 PM »

Thanks for the link. Was looking for one but couldn't find it. Never used forums before.

LordVader0418
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 10:26:02 PM »

But honestly I just changed the idea.
So if the crystals ALREADY have the color inside them. What if the Jedi keep the crystals on hand for when a Sentinel is chosen for the Guard they have to be chosen by a yellow crystal and my character was chosen but while connecting with the yellow crystal I accidentally bent the crystal to my dark will slightly. Leaving it Orange. Idk. Ha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 10:50:41 PM »

BTW - you may not have noticed, but there is a "modify" button on posts. You have up to an hour to change or modify any post you make on the forum. This is widely used b everyone to prevent double or triple posts on one thread. So, if you've made a post and then think of something else you want to add (or you've made a mistake) just modify the post.

Also, this little 2 min video does a decent job of explaining orange lightsabers (kind of)
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk-1gRKwft0" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk-1gRKwft0</a>

LordVader0418
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 11:02:42 PM »

Very much appreciated. I searched youtube as best I could before jumping on here but for some reason I couldn't find anything that explains orange crystals. After watching the vid it actually somewhat fits into a theory if mine about the color. Thinking of Yaddle, she had force powers the council did not like and were afraid of (if I remember my Yaddle correctly). Safe to bet hat those powers were somewhat based in the dark side. Hence the Sentinel yellow mixed with the dark side Red.

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -473

Either you like Star Wars... Or you're wrong.

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 01:36:46 AM »

BTW - you may not have noticed, but there is a "modify" button on posts. You have up to an hour to change or modify any post you make on the forum. This is widely used b everyone to prevent double or triple posts on one thread. So, if you've made a post and then think of something else you want to add (or you've made a mistake) just modify the post.

Also, this little 2 min video does a decent job of explaining orange lightsabers (kind of)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk-1gRKwft0

Great video, Knox. Great perspective for me for my recently acquired Tri Cree Fire Orange Arbiter. Point to you, good sir. 😉

My Top 3 Favorite Sabers: Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand and Shock LE

nathanielreykun
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 40

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2017, 03:12:29 PM »

Kyber crystals are inherently clear in color, as is shown in Clone Wars, Rebels, and Rogue One. When a crystal calls to a force-sensitive, they meditate on it, and imbue their stance in the Force onto it, so it's kind of like how synthetic crystals worked in Legends. Imbuing the dark side into a crystal (usually one stolen from a Jedi) was forcing it against its will, thus the crystal "bleeds". Ahsoka's white lightsabers were the result of her neutral stance in the Force when she purified the crystals.

As for temple guard sabers, some think that those who naturally produce a yellow crystal are recruited immediately into the temple guards. Some think that after a Sentinel's passing, their yellow crystal is collected to be used for temple guard staffs. Currently, there are two known sabers in canon to produce a yellow blade aside from those of the temple guards.

As for orange, it has a rather tenuous spot right now, as no canon lightsabers produce an orange blade, and very few appeared in Legends. It is worth noting, however, that when Darth Bane appeared in Clone Wars, while it was not used in the end, they producers had created an orange lightsaber pike for him.

Personally, I have always felt that an orange lightsaber would represent one who is like unto a Sentinel, but with a dark streak, as the video suggested. Gray Jedi, Force-sensitive bounty hunters, et cetera.

Dark Apprentice V4 Stunt
Initiate V3/Mantis Combo Stunt
Aeon V2 Stunt
Reaper Obsidian Lite
Sentinel LE V4 Obsidian V4QR CouplerApprentice LE V4 Obsidian V4
Modified Mantis CE Custom Obsidian V4

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: