Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: TOP FIVE BEST JOHN WILLIAMS FILM SCORES  (Read 2143 times)
Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« on: January 30, 2017, 12:17:07 AM »

No-one would argue that John Williams is one of the greatest living composers of film scores. He has made contributions to some of the best, biggest and most iconic movies of all time over a period of six decades. This video attempts to pick out his best five film scores.

Do you agree or disagree with the choices? Do you agree or disagree with the order? Post your comments below.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8PyFiHFsp0" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8PyFiHFsp0</a>

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -473

Either you like Star Wars... Or you're wrong.

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 01:49:36 AM »

I think they got it wrong including Hook in the top 5. I would replace that with Jurassic Park, and my list would go like this:

1. Superman
2. Star Wars
3. Indiana Jones
4. Jurassic Park
5. Harry Potter

My Top 3 Favorite Sabers: Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand and Shock LE

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 01:51:08 AM »

I think they got it wrong including Hook in the to 5. I would replace that with Jurassic Park, and my list would go like this:

1. Superman
2. Star Wars
3. Indiana Jones
4. Jurassic Park
5. Harry Potter
I agree 100% with your list. Point

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 01:55:07 AM »

I agree 100% with your list. Point

Excellent! Point backatcha, Knox! Btw I completely agree with you about John Williams' legacy. He and Howard Shore are my two favorite composers for film scores.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 02:04:13 AM »

For me it's Williams, Alan Silvestri and James Horner.

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 02:20:10 AM »

Oh yeah, Silvestri and Horner have done some of my favorite movies. If I had a third, to make it my top three, I would also include Hans Zimmer.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 05:32:58 AM »

I think they got it wrong including Hook in the top 5. I would replace that with Jurassic Park, and my list would go like this:

1. Superman
2. Star Wars
3. Indiana Jones
4. Jurassic Park
5. Harry Potter

Don't forget Shcindler's List.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 06:03:54 AM »

Don't forget Shindler's List.

Oh, believe me, I considered that one, and although profound just too gloomy to make it into my top five. Definitely in my John Williams top ten, though.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 07:19:19 AM »

Oh, believe me, I considered that one, and although profound just too gloomy to make it into my top five. Definitely in my John Williams top ten, though.

I heard an orchestra play it last year, and it was incredibly beautiful. They also played SW music. They were doing a tribute the John Williams, and it was extremely awesome. I haven't yet watched that movie, but I really want to.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 02:54:01 PM »

I heard an orchestra play it last year, and it was incredibly beautiful. They also played SW music. They were doing a tribute the John Williams, and it was extremely awesome. I haven't yet watched that movie, but I really want to.

The movie matches the soundtrack well, or maybe the other way around. Either way I highly recommend it, but it takes a lot out of ya, emotionally.

Rathayatra
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 98

"Mud hole? Slimy? My home this is"

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 05:51:34 PM »

No-one would argue that John Williams is one of the greatest living composers of film scores. He has made contributions to some of the best, biggest and most iconic movies of all time over a period of six decades. This video attempts to pick out his best five film scores.

Do you agree or disagree with the choices? Do you agree or disagree with the order? Post your comments below.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8PyFiHFsp0
The Great John Williams, i agree with most i just would changed a little.....
                            Star Wars
                            Superman
                            Indiana Jones
                            Harry Potter
                            Schindlers's List 

lightside points please --- thanks an old youngling
Initiate LE v4 CG             
Prophesy v3 OPS GB 
Graflex GB OPS
Yoda FX
Dk. Prophesy v3 SY
Standard Issue Battle v3 GB
Dk. Prophesy v3 VA
Archon v2.1 GB
Dk. Prophesy v3 CG
Dk. Menace tri GB
Consular v4 GB Nickel
Shock GB OPS + Raffle Prophesy CG Stunt
Archon v3.1 + spring raffle Dominix LE v4

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2017, 05:57:59 PM »

The Great John Williams, i agree with most i just would changed a little.....
                            Star Wars
                            Superman
                            Indiana Jones
                            Harry Potter
                            Schindlers's List 

I think the hardest choice is between Superman and Star Wars for the no. 1 spot. I don't blame anyone for choosing Star Wars over Superman even if I agree with Walter's choice in the video and his reasons.

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2017, 06:12:58 PM »

I agree with the top 3, in the order they are presented.  Of course, his Star Wars music is awesome, and he has so much to choose from there.  However, my absolute favorite movie score is the Superman score.  It is just so breathtaking.  Unfortunately, that was the only film in the series he scored, aside from the main theme being used in the other films in that series.  Anyway, it is second to none for me.  And, I would definitely put Indiana Jones as three, as it's a great set of scores with with great adventure oriented music.  The other two I can't really comment on.  I'm not into Harry Potter at all and I've never had a desire to see Hook.  I'm sure he did fantastic music for them, they're just not movies for me.  I would definitely put Jurassic Park in that top five.  The music from JP is pure genius, from the bold main theme to the more subtle pieces.  It really helps tell the story as much as the dialog and action do.  As for a fifth choice, I'm not sure.  I mean, he's John Williams.  How do you pick five?  There are so many to choose from.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2017, 06:26:46 PM »

I agree with the top 3, in the order they are presented.  Of course, his Star Wars music is awesome, and he has so much to choose from there.  However, my absolute favorite movie score is the Superman score.  It is just so breathtaking.  Unfortunately, that was the only film in the series he scored, aside from the main theme being used in the other films in that series.  Anyway, it is second to none for me.  And, I would definitely put Indiana Jones as three, as it's a great set of scores with with great adventure oriented music.  The other two I can't really comment on.  I'm not into Harry Potter at all and I've never had a desire to see Hook.  I'm sure he did fantastic music for them, they're just not movies for me.  I would definitely put Jurassic Park in that top five.  The music from JP is pure genius, from the bold main theme to the more subtle pieces.  It really helps tell the story as much as the dialog and action do.  As for a fifth choice, I'm not sure.  I mean, he's John Williams.  How do you pick five?  There are so many to choose from.
You've never seen Hook? I find that surprising. It's a mixed movie and definitely one to have seen as a kid so you can have a nostalgic factor to it as an adult. But, I fully understand why some people would have avoided it.

I agree that Star Wars, Indy and Superman are his best three and truly iconic. You don't even need to have seen the movies to recognise those themes.

His Home Alone theme is great too (forgot he did that theme until the video included it in the honourable mentions) and the Harry Potter theme really elevated those movies, in the way that all great scores can.

On a separate note, the Harry Potter series is good. The first two are definitely geared more towards kids (but adults can still enjoy it), numbers 3-5 are GREAT, number 6 was good and the last two really shouldn't have been split into two movies, but it is a really good end to the series. Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2017, 05:37:57 AM »

You've never seen Hook? I find that surprising. It's a mixed movie and definitely one to have seen as a kid so you can have a nostalgic factor to it as an adult. But, I fully understand why some people would have avoided it.

I'm not really a Peter Pan fan.  I've seen the Disney animated film a few times, but it was never one of my favorites.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: