Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Ben Affleck leaves Batman  (Read 3119 times)
Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« on: January 31, 2017, 01:25:45 PM »

Shocking news

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdYCc4pZhqc" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdYCc4pZhqc</a>

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 01:47:03 PM »

Dude! Might want to clarify what's going on. I was worried for a bit.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 03:01:22 PM »

Misleading thread titles much?  He didn't leave Batman.  He's still set to produce the film and he'll be playing Batman.  He simply won't be directing.  (as far as I know, he already wrote it)  He says it's so that he can focus on his acting for the film, like when Quentin Tarantino decided not to direct From Dusk Till Dawn so that he could focus on playing Richard Gecko.  Though, I do think that WB is trying to push this project along at a faster pace that Ben wants to move.  He really likes to work on a film for a while, get as prepared as he can, even if it takes a few years in the pre-production stage.  I don't think WB wants to wait that long, which means we could wind up with another rushed film with a lot of interference from them.  That could spell trouble.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 03:43:13 PM »

Couldn't resist a click bait title to scare people. I am an evil Sith after all!

Misleading thread titles much?  He didn't leave Batman.  He's still set to produce the film and he'll be playing Batman.  He simply won't be directing.  (as far as I know, he already wrote it)  He says it's so that he can focus on his acting for the film, like when Quentin Tarantino decided not to direct From Dusk Till Dawn so that he could focus on playing Richard Gecko.  Though, I do think that WB is trying to push this project along at a faster pace that Ben wants to move.  He really likes to work on a film for a while, get as prepared as he can, even if it takes a few years in the pre-production stage.  I don't think WB wants to wait that long, which means we could wind up with another rushed film with a lot of interference from them.  That could spell trouble.
Considering what happened when Suicide Squad was in post-production, the fact they can't get a Flash director to stay with the project and now this, the warning signs of panic and implosion over at Warner Bros regarding DC movies seems clear.

They have always been a little reactionary, but through is rushing to make release dates that they already announced and the fledgling DCEU is in more trouble than I thought

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 03:52:34 PM »

Yeah, it's a shame Time Warner owns DC.  Their idiotic attempts to match/one up Marvel are going to be their ruination.  You can't just throw movies like this together and expect magic.  The current MCU goes back to 2008 and was carefully crafted.  They put a lot of work into the character films and made sure all of the parts worked before going forward with the Avengers.  Were they necessarily the best films?  No, but they are good films that gave you a great introduction to the characters.  Once they were pretty firmly established in the MCU, then they went ahead with putting them all together.  No impatience, just good movie making.  If WB was smart, they would take the same route, not try to push out greatness overnight.  One of the reasons Batman Begins and The Dark Knight worked so well were because they more or less gave Christopher Nolan complete creative freedom to make Batman films his way, in his time.  I don't think they're doing the same for Ben Affleck, which is sad.  Give him a chance, and Ben could give us the Batman film we both need and deserve.  (couldn't resist a Dark Knight reference there Wink)

And, yes, that was a very Sithy thing for you to do.

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

The Mad Professor

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 03:52:59 PM »

Couldn't resist a click bait title to scare people. I am an evil Sith after all!
Considering what happened when Suicide Squad was in post-production, the fact they can't get a Flash director to stay with the project and now this, the warning signs of panic and implosion over at Warner Bros regarding DC movies seems clear.

They have always been a little reactionary, but through is rushing to make release dates that they already announced and the fledgling DCEU is in more trouble than I thought

Wanna know how best to handle a decent number of the DC problems?

Keep Batfleck, Wonder Woman,  Aquaman, and Cyborg. Ditch Movie-Flash and Cavill-Superman.

Port in DC shows and let Berlanti take creative control.

You will have your audience.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 03:57:09 PM »

Wanna know how best to handle a decent number of the DC problems?

Keep Batfleck, Wonder Woman,  Aquaman, and Cyborg. Ditch Movie-Flash and Cavill-Superman.

Port in DC shows and let Berlanti take creative control.

You will have your audience.
To be fair, Cavill has never been given a decent opportunity to portray Supes or Clark. I know in the BvS extended he had a few more opportunities with the character, but still, he has been shackled a lot. For that I blame the filmmakers and studio, not the actor. He has the look and charm to be a GREAT Superman. They just have to let him

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

The Mad Professor

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2017, 03:59:48 PM »

To be fair, Cavill has never been given a decent opportunity to portray Supes or Clark. I know in the BvS extended he had a few more opportunities with the character, but still, he has been shackled a lot. For that I blame the filmmakers and studio, not the actor. He has the look and charm to be a GREAT Superman. They just have to let him

Unfortunately, Tyler Hoechlin came in as Clark and Supes on Supergirl and absolutely NAILED it, so even if they let him (which they won't), he'd be hard pressed to compete with it.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 04:04:00 PM »

Unfortunately, Tyler Hoechlin came in as Clark and Supes on Supergirl and absolutely NAILED it, so even if they let him (which they won't), he'd be hard pressed to compete with it.
Yep. Which goes to a point I made in another thread, that DC tv shows are killing it yet they struggle massively with the movies. Same characters, widely different results.

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

The Mad Professor

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2017, 04:06:50 PM »

Yep. Which goes to a point I made in another thread, that DC tv shows are killing it yet they struggle massively with the movies. Same characters, widely different results.

Movie Execs saying "We need to beat Marvel" vs TV execs saying "we love the characters. Let's do them right."

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2017, 04:12:59 PM »

Movie Execs saying "We need to beat Marvel" vs TV execs saying "we love the characters. Let's do them right."
(Far too many) movie execs....

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2017, 04:33:03 PM »

Yeah, he's more or less a one dimensional Superman, but it's by no means Cavill's fault.  It's the way he's written.

I think WB's big fear is to let anybody just be a character, or just do a film.  If they did that, they'd probably be just fine, as history shows.  Richard Donner's Superman was a massive hit, and it was done on his terms, his way.  Christopher Reeve was allowed to just play the character, and he brought at least as much as he was given to the role, if not more.  He's the best Clark Kent, period.  Superman II had a lot of interference from the Salkinds, the producers.  They axed Richard Donner and replaced him with Richard Lester.  Things went downhill from there.  Batman (1989) was a smash hit and was done Tim Burton's way.  It's a great adaptation of the character, and Michael Keaton brought a lot to both the Batman and Bruce Wayne roles.  Batman Returns is along the same vein, and is just great Batman.  However, some parents groups whined about the dark imagery, so Burton was axed from the third film, and Joel Schumacher was brought in.  Things went downhill from there.  Batman Forever is decent, but Batman & Robin is corny as hell and cringe worthy.  And, as I said, Christopher Nolan was given creative freedom in the Dark Knight trilogy, and it was pure gold.  Sure, people complain about the third film, but it was overall well received and made them a shipload of money.  So, history shows that studio/producer interference ruins film series.  Though, history also shows that history repeats itself, so here we are.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2017, 04:43:58 PM »

The whole situation gets worse when you remember Batfleck was one of the universally praised things in BvS and Ben Affleck has directed Oscar winning movies. And yet from his comments earlier this month and this latest announcement it seems WB execs just can't help themselves.

To be fair, ALL studios interfere with movies that are made. If the movie is great, this is never mentioned. But when the movie is bad, or we have this kind of announcement, that's when a lot of finger pointing happens. Sometimes it's justified, sometimes it isn't.

At this stage, there is a part of me that thinks Ben Affleck is trying to distance himself from a sinking ship (but that's my cynical alter ego kicking in).

LivingBrain
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 46

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2017, 04:44:51 PM »

I like movies, Spider-Man, and lightsabers.

That's about it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My username and avatar may be of a villain, but I like Light Side points.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2017, 04:49:35 PM »

Point for that

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: