Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Snark Side of The Force: Lightsaber Stage Combat Articles  (Read 1176 times)
Master Uilos
Resident Master
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 121

Snark Jedi

« on: January 31, 2017, 08:38:50 PM »

Hello Folks, some of you know me from the Combat department on this page. For those that don't, my name is Craig. I've been in the Lightsaber Combat community since Feb '09 as both a writer, teacher, and member of several lightsaber stage combat groups. I am also an instructor and head of lore for Terra Prime. I'm currently the writer for the lightsaber combat blog The Snark Side of The Force.

While I've been posting up on the Seven Forms, I wanted to spend this year working on the choreography side of things and felt this was the more appropriate venue for it. Would love opinions, questions, and overall feedback. I don't claim to know everything, just sharing what I've learned and come to believe in the last decade. Here we go.
https://thesnarksideoftheforce.wordpress.com/2017/01/25/the-illusion-of-combat-lightsaber-choreography-101/

Pedantic Lightsaber Philosopher. Stage Combat Junkie. Cranky New York Street Mage.

Master of the Snark Side of the Force

Long Live The Fighters

Master Resolute
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -453

Dark Jedi

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 03:09:42 AM »

This was a good read. While I'm rather new to the lightsaber community (only a little over a year.) and choreography/staged combat, I have been training in martial arts for over 20 years and work as an instructor in JKD/Kali. Translating the material over to a staged fight scene has proved difficult but luckily we have people that work as stuntmen/actors as well within the lineage I am part of.....so I'm relying on them for much of the " constructive criticism ". ( especially the camera angles....driving me crazy.. )

I tend to stay away from talking combat based arts myself due to the " text to tone " nature conversations can go. This though, has me intrigued. Especially number Vl. The target is not the saber.

I've been trying to get some members in my group to understand this mindset but I think the bright lights are too distracting. When we use Kali sticks they have no problem aiming for me...anyway. Well written sir.

-- Remember....your Focus determines your Reality. --
-- If you gaze long enough into the Abyss, the Abyss will gaze back into you --

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: