Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Saber Suggestion/opinion/ideas on my next purchase?  (Read 2810 times)
ScottLIVS
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: -4

« on: February 02, 2017, 07:47:50 PM »

So looking for some suggestions from the saber community here.  Just got my tax return back, and looking to get another (couple sabers).  So I am pretty new to the saber game, I have 2 stunt sabers, but looking to get a few new ones with sound. Got a budget of 400-500. I was going to pull the trigger and grab my dream saber and totally deck it out, Lost Grey.  But then got to thinking I might be able to get more bang for the bucks if I decided to grab so lower cost ones and round out the collection for now

Some ideas I have:
1. deck out a counsler (which I really like as well) then get a grab bag saber or 2
2. staff saber –w/  sound and a grab bag . which staff config is the best?
* I do have a dark apprentice LE V4 stunt, so might be a good idea grab another load it up w/ sound and get a coupler, which would be the easiest way
3. 4 grab bag sabers
4. just go for broke and get the real pricey one?

Any other saber recommendations / configuration you have would be great. Hoping to purchase before the %10 off deal goes away. Or would it be more worth it to wait till the next raffle???

Man I swear getting into the saber game is like taking a long walk down the rabbit hole.  Thanks in advance and looking forward to the replies!

Scott LIVS

Evacuate? In our moment of triumph? I think you overestimate their chances.

Sabers owned:
Dark Apprentice LE – BR
Dark Standard Issue- CG

Vivectius
Dark Liberator of Lost Posts
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -719

I always feel like he’s judging my posts.

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 11:36:26 PM »

Get a second Dark Apprentice LE without sound and a coupler.  I know a lot of people have said it works ok having one hilt with and one hilt without sound as a saberstaff, but it really bothers me the way it sounds.  You don't really get the clash and impact sounds from the non-sound hilt unless you hit with significantly more more force than you need to with the hilt with sound. Plus your coupler can be less expensive since you don't need a vented one.

Getting both hilts and coupler as a saberstaff from the site is slightly less expensive than buying the pieces individually, but since you already have one hilt (and a very good one for a saberstaff), I would just get one hilt and the coupler.

Now, before I recommend a hilt, some questions:  what will you be using it for?  Spinning? Combat? Display? Cosplay? Are you looking for any other features for the saber? Flash on Clash? Emerald? I do strongly recommend getting the Obsidian v4 for your sound, or at the very least the v3.  I'm not a fan of the LITE board for a few reasons.

As for now vs. not raffle... Personally, if you're not going to spend enough to qualify for the free grab bag, I'd wait for the raffle.

It's not a walk down the rabbit hole, it's a straight drop.  But we're here to enable help you, at least with the saber selection.

You only live once. Wrong.
You only die once.  You live every moment of your life.
The question is, are you alive, and living your life? Or just here, and watching your life go by?
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to death
 Nor known to life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet those hands will never hold anything
 So, as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works.

ScottLIVS
Force Sensitive

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 11:54:44 PM »

Yeah think you’re right route with stunt 2nd Dark Apprentice and coupler to make the staff. The one I have now is my main dueling one I use.

So leaves me a good $300+ to play round for a saber with  more up graded features.  Like most saber fans I am a big star wars dork to, so I like all the movie hilts ( know most of them are just slightly out of my $$ currently).  But for sure want sound, FOC would be cool too,  but this saber is going to be a wall hanger in my studio, keep round the house and chase the cats with. Might take it out for cosplay/Halloween….
Just got  some money burning a hole in the pocket book so want to spend on a sabers before I blow it on something else…

Kind of been looking at the Archon, that’s the Obi-won one right?

Sabers owned:
Dark Apprentice LE – BR
Dark Standard Issue- CG

Vivectius
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 03:52:39 AM »

The Archon v3.1 is actually closer to Luke's green saber from Return of the Jedi.  It would make an excellent display piece for a Star Wars fan.  I have one (won it in a raffle actually), and it's a very nice hilt.  If you're looking for one that will be pretty much will just sit on display, it's a good one to go with.

You could also go with a Sentinel LE, which would give you the big brother companion to your Apprentice.  While not as decorative, it's still a nice hilt, especially if you get the windowed version.

However, my strongest recommendation goes to the Lost Grey. As you put it, it's your dream saber, and you'll always have a twinge of regret if you don't get it now while you have the chance.  Of course you'll still be able to get it later... but how much later?  If that's the one you really want in your heart, get it now.

The question is, are you alive, and living your life? Or just here, and watching your life go by?
 Unknown to death
 Nor known to life

Darth Blightus
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -201

dark side points

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 03:14:10 AM »

get a raven and join the dark side

Only in darkness can one see the true light.

CyberKyber
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: -432

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 02:17:35 PM »

Hey, ScottLIVS!

Regarding the archon, you have to take a few things into consideration. V3.1 and V2 have different emitters, so I would recommend getting the V3.1 + the V2 emitter extra for dueling, since the V3.1 is not recommended for heavy dueling. Plus, the v3.1 has a bit of an issue regarding getting light to the blade, making it lose quite a lot of brightness due to the thin neck. HOWEVER, despite all of these "issues", the archon V3.1 is gorgeous and extremely comfortable! Aesthetically and comfort-wise, it's probably my favorite saber, a work of art. I also thought of adding a clamp as an activation box for likes saber, but I still haven't got my hands on one XD. You can also make it an Obi-wan saber by powder coating or primer spray painting the grenade section black and adding black T grips just above the pommel (as well as adding a graflex clamp, of course...).
Any other recommendations? Hmmm, maybe go try one of US' premium or forum colors, they're great (emerald green + sunders destiny are awesome). And if you went for a grab bag or another stunt saber, just so you know, aeon and dominix V3 sabers are ridiculously comfortable, just a heads up!

Lightsabers:
Counterfeit/Violent Darth Vader lightsaber (ROTJ look)- reaper emitter, warglaive body, T-grips, Heiland/MPP activation clamp -
Emerald driver + Obsidian V4 - Crimson red
Menace SE staff - BR
Chosen Once CE - Obs V4 Deep Red (custom)
Graflex SE - Obs V4 GB
Archon V3.1 - Obs V4 Viridian green (custom lime+cyan)
War glaive/reaper hybrid, raven style - Deep Red/FO
Custom Prophecy V3 (Anakin AotC) -Medium Blue (custom)
Dominix V3 LE - CG
Apprentice LE (with black grip) - VA
Aeon V3 - TRI GB
Dominix V2 - SD

BatMike90
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -793

Dark (Knight) Side Points.

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 02:52:35 PM »

If my opinion counts for anything, I would go for the staff option. Saber staffs are personally my favorite to swing around in the backyard on any random day.

Arsenel:
RGBW DIAMOND: Archon v3.1 / Dominicide / Graflex SE /  Guardian
V4 SOUND : Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Emperor's Hand
STUNT: Aeon v4 / Bellicose / Dark Apprentice v4 (x2) / Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Phantom Initiate V4 / Prophecy v3 / Renegade LE / Scorpion (x2)
Star Wars Cosplay Alias:
Merik Wolfe (Jedi Knight) / Darth Marcotus (Sith Warrior)
BatMike90's Soundfonts

MavRick
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 600

May the force be with you! (give light side )

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 10:31:42 PM »

Well from what you listed I would go with
  1) Loaded Consular ( not emerald)
  2) a 2nd Dark Apprentice LE w/ sound and a quick coupler ( to match your first)
 And if you still want to spend more throw in a grab bag
 That's my 2 cents worth.

Sabers I own:                                           
 Graflex Tri-cree AB w/sd & bronze buttons
 Consular CG w/sd an silver foc
 Archon CG w/sd an silver foc
 Prophecy CG w/sd an silver foc
 Dorinian SRD w/lite sd and AB foc
 Guardian in GB
 Aeon V3 in GB
 Dark Standard Issue BR w/vert grooves
 Dark Apprentice AB (Freebee!)
 Sentinel LE V4 w/windows in SY
 Dark Sentinel LE V5 in AB (raffle prize)
 Initiate LE V4 in GB
 Franken saber in VA
Wish list: Dark Prophecy BR w/sd, dark cat pommel; Azure Enigma AB; Exile CG w/sd; Dominix LE V2 in BR gift for a friend

ScottLIVS
Force Sensitive

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 12:25:32 AM »

thanks for all the suggestions! got the game plan down and pulling the trigger on my order this week! will through a review up when i get them!

you guys rule so hard! glad to be part of this community!

Sabers owned:
Dark Apprentice LE – BR
Dark Standard Issue- CG

ScottLIVS
Force Sensitive

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 12:26:17 AM »

also is it looked down upon if i get a consular with a red blade?   Grin

Sabers owned:
Dark Apprentice LE – BR
Dark Standard Issue- CG

Vivectius
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2017, 12:29:38 AM »

Nope, you're good  Cool

Unknown to death
 Nor known to life

CyberKyber
Knight Templar

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 10:20:37 AM »

Uhm, I never knew I needed this in my life until you said it. Consular with a red blade??!?! That's probably gonna look awesome!

Lightsabers:
Counterfeit/Violent Darth Vader lightsaber (ROTJ look)- reaper emitter, warglaive body, T-grips, Heiland/MPP activation clamp -
Menace SE staff - BR
Graflex SE - Obs V4 GB
Dominix V3 LE - CG
Aeon V3 - TRI GB
Dominix V2 - SD

Isola815
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 594

"Most Redacted"

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2017, 11:40:37 AM »

You can also make it an Obi-wan saber by powder coating or primer spray painting the grenade section black and adding black T grips just above the pommel (as well as adding a graflex clamp, of course...).

More info on this please. Has someone done it already? Is there a thread for it?

Thanks Smiley

That's going to look awesome!

CyberKyber
Knight Templar

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2017, 12:07:36 PM »

More info on this please. Has someone done it already? Is there a thread for it?

Thanks Smiley

That's going to look awesome!

I don't think there's a specific thread on this, but I'm pretty sure more than one person has shown off an archon customised to look like Obi Wan's lightsaber. It wouldn't be difficult to do, spray the grenade section black, and especially more reliable if you have the tools to powder coat aluminum (which I don't XD), and getting hold of T-grips and a graflex clamp. The only mayor inaccuracy that I see (apart from the neck) would be that the grenade section would be missing the vertical grooves, but if you can live with it... Since I prefer Luke's saber (bar the copper neck, I prefer the brass one that US does) I haven't got down to doing this mod, but I'm planning to add a graflex clamp to mine, if I can ever get one...

Lightsabers:
Menace SE staff - BR
Graflex SE - Obs V4 GB
Dominix V3 LE - CG
Aeon V3 - TRI GB
Dominix V2 - SD

Isola815
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 594

"Most Redacted"

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2017, 12:58:24 PM »

I don't think there's a specific thread on this, but I'm pretty sure more than one person has shown off an archon customised to look like Obi Wan's lightsaber. It wouldn't be difficult to do, spray the grenade section black, and especially more reliable if you have the tools to powder coat aluminum (which I don't XD), and getting hold of T-grips and a graflex clamp. The only mayor inaccuracy that I see (apart from the neck) would be that the grenade section would be missing the vertical grooves, but if you can live with it... Since I prefer Luke's saber (bar the copper neck, I prefer the brass one that US does) I haven't got down to doing this mod, but I'm planning to add a graflex clamp to mine, if I can ever get one...

Hmmmm...... intredasting.... I like this plan. I could always cut the grooves in if I felt it needed it. Would also need the lower section painted black and possibly grooves in that too. But I do like this, because the V3 has no covertech wheel!  Grin

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: