Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Real color of Sunrider's Destiny?  (Read 5917 times)
Obi-John
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 6

« on: February 15, 2017, 01:05:31 AM »

I just recently purchased my very first lightsaber from Ultrasabers, and overall I am very pleased with it!  I purchased a Shock LE with Obsidian IV sound, and my blade color is Sunrider’s Destiny with Arctic Blue FOC.  Before I finally ordered my saber I spent weeks researching all the options available, especially by pouring over a lot of the threads here on the forum.  I chose to go with SRD for my blade color because I wanted something a little different and with a somewhat “old school” look to it, which is also why I went with the Shock LE, as most agree it looks very much like an Old Republic style saber.  One topic I did not find a lot about was exactly how SRD actually looks on a US saber, or at least from someone with a similar setup to mine.  Most of the posts I’ve seen regarding the color were from others dialing in the SRD color on their Emerald Driver or somehow creating the color with their RGB saber (I think).  I’ve seen a lot of video reviews of sabers with SRD also, but most of them have been stunt sabers without sound or a lite sound setup using alkaline batteries, and not the the Obsidian IV and Li-ion with buckpuck setup like I have.  A lot of them have also been older posts or reviews too when perhaps the LED being used was different.  I know what SRD is “supposed” to look like, but it’s been hard to get an honest take or example of what to expect other than how it looks on the US website.

Well anyway after receiving my saber the SRD color in it looks VERY much on the green side to me.  I already know about how it can look mostly green if the batteries get drained enough, but I’ve already tried charging my batteries fully to test it and the color is still the same.  There is definitely blue in it, as I can see the blue in the LED when I shine the saber on the wall without a blade or plug in it, but there is definitely a lot more green in the mix.  It appears like the green to blue ratio is something like 75/25 and not the 50/50 I guess I was expecting.  I do remember reading on another post of someone who had an SRD saber without FOC, and after sending it back to get FOC installed he claimed it appeared more green after that.  I’m wondering if the FOC affects the color somehow perhaps because of how it’s wired into the LED or something.  I’ve posted a pic of the saber ignited with a standard midgrade blade, which I’m told should show a truer representation of the color than a UE blade (although I did also get a UE blade and I personally like how it looks a lot better).  I know colors like SRD can sometimes show up on camera a lot different, but I’ve compared this pic to how the blade looks in person and I'd say it's very, very close.  I’m hoping maybe someone can “shine some light” on whether or not the SRD color looks right on my saber given the setup I have or if that is something that would even affect it.  I wish I was getting the teal color that I know as SRD, but I’m still not altogether upset with the color I am getting (one friend commented it looked like a “vintage” ROTJ green saber before the remastering of the films), but I’m just curious to know if this is how it’s supposed to look.

Akacen
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 64

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 01:17:27 AM »

I have 2 with SRD - 1 Li Ion set up, stunt blade and one standard set up, Obsidian Lite with AS FoC. If anything, on camera, it looks a bit more blue than mine. But, yeah, that's what SRD looks like, at least for mine.

It is all a personal preference, of course. I LOVE SRD - the little bit of blue in with the green to soften it a bit. It's definitely my favorite color.

But anyway, as far as I can tell, you got their Sunrider's Destiny. Smiley

LS points please. ^.^

My Sabers:
Stunt: Initiate (CG), Catalyst (SRD), Mantis CE (AB), Aeon v2 (CG), Dark Apprentice v4 (BR), Dark Initiate v4 (CG), Apprentice LE v5 (AB), Sentinel LE v5 (AB, SRD), Aeon LE v5 (SRD), Arbiter (GB), Consular (CG), Spectre (FO)
Lite Sound: Catalyst (SRD), Sentinel LE V4 (AB)
V4 Sound: Aeon LE v4 (CG), Bellicose (FO), Lost Gray (SRD)
Emerald: Fulcrum

Wishlist: Grand Master LE (currently in cart), Savior, Brood Guard SE, Dorinian, Flamberge CE, Shock LE, Dark War Glaive, Guardian

Landen Se-Sentien
Shadow Sentinel of the Manticore Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1828

I work in the Darkness in service of the Light

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 01:43:20 AM »

I'm sure you read this, but if you didn't, it's worth a look.

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=33532.0

In it, you can read and see how much color differences there can be and still fall in the SRD range. Because of this, it's a tough color to describe, but it is an awesome color, whether it's on the green side or the blue side.

Signature banner by DarthScrub

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 01:56:25 AM »

Obi-John, if you were to ask me what colour I thought your saber was based on the pic you posted I'd say it was CG. I might not be too happy with that shade myself.

As Landen pointed out, there's no set formula to wiring up a SRD LED. And as you said it can vary by battery and resistor/buck puck set ups.

My first SRD lightsaber was in my Dominix V4 and I didn't like the shade or how dull it looked (stunt, Li-Ion).

But I recently got another lightsaber in SRD (Obs V3, Li-Ion), and I'm quite enjoying it. Great teal hue and brighter than last time -

So I guess it boils down to personal tastes and whether on not you like the particular colour shade you were dealt. 

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2031

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 03:17:28 AM »

Nice. Definitely looks good on a Shock LE saber =] Definitely Sun Rider's Destiny for sure. I got one in a stunt set up on my Sentinel V4, also wanted something different than usual so Tongue You're all good. Especially if you remember specifying the blade color you wanted

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 03:37:15 AM »

I am not a fan of SRD, but it is okay. I really expected it to be more blue, and that is what I wanted to see. IMO it was too green. Still a cool color though.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Akacen
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 64

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 04:41:03 AM »

Seeing the two pictures, the difference is obvious. I don't know if it has something to do with background or any external light sources, or different blade types (can't tell what kind is in that pic, Haz), but it is a bit concerning.

I'm going to have to take some pics myself tomorrow and see what I come up with, cause I have CG and AB to compare it to. I have old pics, but the batteries were fairly old/not charged, so it's not really a good representation.

I can definitely see why you are a little bummed about it, though.

LS points please. ^.^

My Sabers:
Stunt: Initiate (CG), Catalyst (SRD), Mantis CE (AB), Aeon v2 (CG), Dark Apprentice v4 (BR), Dark Initiate v4 (CG), Apprentice LE v5 (AB), Sentinel LE v5 (AB, SRD), Aeon LE v5 (SRD), Arbiter (GB), Consular (CG), Spectre (FO)
Lite Sound: Catalyst (SRD), Sentinel LE V4 (AB)
V4 Sound: Aeon LE v4 (CG), Bellicose (FO), Lost Gray (SRD)
Emerald: Fulcrum

Wishlist: Grand Master LE (currently in cart), Savior, Brood Guard SE, Dorinian, Flamberge CE, Shock LE, Dark War Glaive, Guardian

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2031

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 05:09:57 AM »

Well remember in Luke's training scene in A New Hope his lightsaber was kind of cyan/Sun Rider's Destiny color looking in the Millenium Falcon scene too Tongue

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 06:42:06 PM »

Hi.  I have the SRD and AB FoC with v4 sound.  One of my favorite combinations.  Hope you get yours straightened out as from your photo it really does look green.  The av switch on mine is CG.  Smiley

firehand10k
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 388

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 06:58:38 PM »

I cheated on mine and used a cyan LED. Its very, very close to my daughters Sunrider's Destiny. Its the one on the right.

Cyan is a nice color by Firehand10k, on Flickr

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2017, 02:42:32 AM »

Hi.  I have the SRD and AB FoC with v4 sound.  One of my favorite combinations.  Hope you get yours straightened out as from your photo it really does look green.  The av switch on mine is CG.  Smiley

That's a great picture and prob one of the cleanest SRD on camera I've seen.

Points D7 Cool

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

Jediseth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 828

"If I told you, you wouldn't like it." Han Solo

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2017, 03:31:14 AM »

That's a great picture and prob one of the cleanest SRD on camera I've seen.

Points D7 Cool

That is beautiful, I'm wanting that color now.

Guardian : GB, FOC Red, V4, 11-15                        Reaper: V4, BR, 4-17
Chosen One CE : Emerald, V4, 12-15
Consular: Emerald V4, 1-16
Manticore: BR, FOC Orange, QD, V4, 11-16
Monarch: Emerald, V4, 2016 Autumn Raffle -1st
Arbiter: V4, SD, Silver FOC, QD, 3-17
Archon V2.1, Diamond, 4-17

Obi-John
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 6

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2017, 04:28:35 AM »

Hazard502 and Dauntless Seven, thanks for the awesome pics and you both seem to have the shade of SRD I was expecting on my saber... they both look great!  I've come to the conclusion though that my saber is indeed SRD, but apparently just on the greener side of the color spectrum for SRD.  It appears to me configuring SRD is not an exact science and it may just be the luck of the draw on whether or not it ends up on the bluer side or on the greener side.  I did get mine with quick disconnects and plan to do this on any sabers I order in the future, so it may also be an interesting experiment to plug it into a different hilt and see what the result is.  It appears there's even some variation with SY according to some of the threads I read before, which is another color I plan to get on a future saber.  Correct me if I'm wrong but I guess the standard colors are the only ones you should expect to be consistent on anyone's saber.

Even though it's not the shade I had originally hoped for, the color of my saber has still grown on me quite a bit already and it really does look great along with the brass/copper features of the Shock LE.  It also looks like a "hotter" shade of green, especially when using my UE blade, and I know at least I wouldn't confuse it with CG up close (I definitely hope CG would be more green than my blade).  I'm planning to have it on me at SW Celebration in April so we'll see if it really stands out from the "normal" green sabers I may come across there!

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2017, 05:30:16 AM »

Thanks Haz and Obi-John.  I'm glad that you like the color shade that you received and as Haz would say you are very astute to get QD on your sabers.  I have found that there can be a color hue difference when connecting the LED to a different saber.  Don't know why but it can happen.  Haz always takes stellar photos and the blade colors are so true.

Points to both of you.  Smiley

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2017, 08:36:59 AM »

Sentinel Yellow is the colour with most reported variance, I've found - possibly because everyone wants a yellow 'sabre (quite rightly!) and US have never made it an official option.

I don't know enough about colour mixing with LEDs to say how much of an exact science it is, whether it's just a matter of resistors or whether the individual LED units make a difference.

For what it's worth, this is how I imagine Sunrider's Destiny to look as a 'default':

Not the purple one, to be clear... Wink

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: