Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Mel Gibson + SUICIDE SQUAD 2 = ...?  (Read 1061 times)
LivingBrain
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 46

« on: February 16, 2017, 12:39:14 AM »

So WB just started courting director Mel Gibson to take the helm on SUICIDE SQUAD 2...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/warner-bros-courts-mel-gibson-suicide-squad-sequel-974436

.. which is admittedly an awesome idea! In any other universe I would be on board but after... well... everything... with the DCEU this is all I can muster right now:

Somebody help me get realistically excited.

I like movies, Spider-Man, and lightsabers.

That's about it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My username and avatar may be of a villain, but I like Light Side points.

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 02:57:09 PM »

Yeah, I read about this a little while ago.  He's one of several directors they're talking to.  He's reading comics to even see if he would be interested in the property.

I've gotta say, it's an interesting idea, but it's hard to say if it would work.  I mean, he's a very talented director and not a bad actor, but we all know the issues he's had over the years, particularly when he's drunk.  (no need to bring it all up here)  But, that usually doesn't affect his work, as far as I know.  And, since WB obviously wants (needs) to shake up the franchise, this would definitely do that.  Of course, one also has to wonder if Mel even wants to work with the limited freedom he's likely to get doing a DC movie.  We also don't know if he can do this kind of movie.  I guess you can tell, I don't know how to feel about this news.  We'll see if it even happens first.

LivingBrain
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 46

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 05:36:53 PM »

Yeah, I read about this a little while ago.  He's one of several directors they're talking to.  He's reading comics to even see if he would be interested in the property.

I've gotta say, it's an interesting idea, but it's hard to say if it would work.  I mean, he's a very talented director and not a bad actor, but we all know the issues he's had over the years, particularly when he's drunk.  (no need to bring it all up here)  But, that usually doesn't affect his work, as far as I know.  And, since WB obviously wants (needs) to shake up the franchise, this would definitely do that.  Of course, one also has to wonder if Mel even wants to work with the limited freedom he's likely to get doing a DC movie.  We also don't know if he can do this kind of movie.  I guess you can tell, I don't know how to feel about this news.  We'll see if it even happens first.

It's definitely a "wait and see" story, I'm more just shocked that WB is still trying at this point. Maybe I'm calling it early but this franchise feels dead to me.

I like movies, Spider-Man, and lightsabers.

That's about it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My username and avatar may be of a villain, but I like Light Side points.

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 05:45:51 PM »

They can turn it around, but they need some solid hits for that to happen.  After the performances of Ben Affleck and Gal Gadot in BvS, I suspect people will show up for Wonder Woman and Justice League Pt. 1.  However, DC/WB needs to knock it out of the park with those two films, or you can expect people to stop being optimistic for these films and stop showing up for them.  The fact that, despite being slammed by critics and fans, Man of Steel, BvS and Suicide Squad all made boatloads of money is why they're still trying.  If that sea of income dries up, then you can expect them to fold up the tents and head out of town, for a few years at least.

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 05:54:53 PM »

This would be pretty sweet. I'm excited by just about everything that DC is doing.

EDIT: He's confirmed that he is in talks to direct. http://screenrant.com/suicide-squad-2-mel-gibson-director-talks/

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 09:29:51 PM »

Here is my take. Firstly, I am going to separate the "art" from the "artist". We all know about the trouble he went through a few years ago. However, when you put that to one side, Mel Gibson the director has made some damn fine movies (Apocalypto, Braveheart, Hacksaw Ridge, The Passion of the Christ). So, as a director, he has the skills to make a good movie. The deciding factor will be Warner Bros and how much they are going to interfere during the creative process.

Look at the Ben Affleck situaiton; a talented director who has made an Oscar winning movie and WB execs suffering from 'too many cooks" syndrome have made him step down from directing the Batman. David Ayer who directed Suicide Squad didn't even edit most of the theatrical released movie (a movie trailer editing company made the final cut of the movie). David Ayer was micro-managed and bullied during the film making process and we saw what the end product was. I think this is because of the "too many cooks" syndrome currently prevalent at WB with their comic book movies.

Some people will say that Mel is wrong because he is not a "comic book" person. Let us remember that neither was Christopher Nolan. Nolan has gone on record stating he was never a fan of comic books and superheroes. However, back then WB let Nolan make the movies the way he wanted.

So, would Mel be able to make a good Suicide Squad movie? Yes. Will WB allow Mel to make the movie he wants to make? Given their current track record, I would say no. They will interfere and not learn from their mistakes. However, given the way things seem to be over at WB right now with their superhero movies, I would be very surprised it Mel signed on (unless he was guaranteed final cut of the film).

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 11:26:22 PM »

Excellent take on things, Knox.  I agree with everything you said there.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 11:33:21 PM »

Excellent take on things, Knox.  I agree with everything you said there.
Thanks. On occasion I have been known to be insightful and make intelligent, rational and well-thought out comments.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: