Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down
Author Topic: Liberator modification (planet series)  (Read 26878 times)
Isola815
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 594

"Most Redacted"

« on: February 17, 2017, 12:32:31 PM »

This is going to become number 2 in my series of planet sabers. This will be a step by step build thread again because last time it was really helpful to see people's comments as I worked. It inspired me not to just shelve the idea. So hopefully I get my cheer squad back again lol

Little bit of backstory on why this hilt: I gutted the liberator to steal the AS led when I made The Mustafar and it's been sitting without a light in it ever since. The Warglaive emitter was going to be used on something else, but wasn't in the end and now it needs a home. I tried it out as a pommel on all my sabers and was almost certain that I was about to turn my GB Apprentice LE V4 into a twin bladed single hilt saber. I was going to use the hilt as it already was with a 24" blade from the standard emitter, tap a second GB LED into the switch circuit (stealing it from my Aeon grab bag) and putting the LED in the bottom of the hilt under the batteries, installing the WG emitter on top of it and having an 8" blade out the bottom. Would have looked pretty bad ass for sure.

But I love my Apprentice too much to F with it. So I thought, well the Lib is gutted, maybe transfer the SRD into the Apprentice and put the two GBs into the lib and make it double ended. So I got about piecing it together and seeing how it looked. And as soon as I had that WG emitter on there and realized it works SO WELL as an upside down hilt a planet idea came into my head. I am going to use the SRD LED, but I may put a green filter in it to make it more green to suit the planet I have in mind.

You can all guess the planet as much as you want. But I won't confirm or deny anything until the finished photos are posted  Tongue

So anyways - here is the Warberator/Libglaive/Warliberglaive or whatever you want to call this spiky-ass Frankenstein-esque creation  Cheesy

The partially gutted hilt and the silver guarded switch I'm going to put in instead of the red one.

Some spikes

BUT... how deep does the battery pack go? Can I get a light in on top of it?

SCORE! So does the emitter fit with a light crammed in there?

Awwwww yissss! And that covertech wheel will still be out of the way if I leave it up the top. It also lines up between two spikes which lets me still get it on the belt clip. The small victories are often the best Smiley

Yep, not in my grip area at all!  Grin

Also comfortable to hole at the old emitter end

But how to cap off that end? Well I guess I could build something out of leftover blade. Or... maybe use one of the blade plugs I'm never going to use in a saber.

Or maybe... maybe if it was black it could poke out a bit and give it a little bit of an electrical look. Like it's maybe a charge port or something...

I think this one will be a challenge, but it should be fun too. Stay tuned. As always, I will update whenever I manage to get some work done Smiley

Greywolf
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 100

Grey all the way ;)

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 01:49:04 PM »

Nice!

One thing I noticed was that the position of the switch was changed from Liberator V2 to V3! It took me only several years to see it Wink :

On the V2 the switch is before the choke, not on it.

Cake is a lie. There are only Cookies.
Through Cookies I gain Chocolate.
Through Chocolate I gain Energy.
Through Energy I gain Weight.
Through Weight my pants will burst.
The Force shall free me.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 05:03:12 PM »

SWEET! I have been waiting for your next planet hilt. And I'm still giving you points for The Mustafar. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 05:12:11 PM »

That's really cool, dude.  It's interesting how cool of a pommel the Liberator emitter makes.  You could put a light in there and make it even cooler.  Wink

I'm looking forward to seeing this progress.  Just for the fun of guessing planets, for green I'm guessing Endor.  Not technically a planet, but it is very green.

JediXIX
Alchemist of the Sentinel Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1172

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 10:58:16 PM »

I'm looking forward to seeing this progress too . . . have a point to start you off . . . I'll just be down the front of the mosh pit  Wink

LED's in a pommel - er - emitter - blade plug, lol, abso-freakin-lutely . . . . some may have guessed I'd say that . . . . and a short pommel blade would be cool too . . .

Remember... The Force will be with you... Always . . . (Just let it in)

Calculon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 435

We Will Win!

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 01:57:41 AM »

Those are great! I always liked the liberator. Very wicked version of it!

I also wanted a renegade for a very similar build lol. Great mashup mods folks!

The Wolfpack Lives!

RevanReborn
Technomancer of the Graflex Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1086

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 08:45:02 AM »

Very cool idea Isola Smiley.  Look forward to watching these planet series unfold!  Excellent caliber of work.  I like your style man Smiley

Isola815
Knight Commander

"Most Redacted"

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 10:20:46 AM »

Been busy as a mofo of late, but finally got a few minutes to make a little more progress on this today.

First thing I had to do was take the 12mm switch hole out to 16mm for the recharge port idea that I'm going to incorporate into this build. I'm using a single cell 5V usb power pack again, but I want a port outside the saber I can plug in to this this instead of having to remove the pommel like on the Mustafar.

I thought I had a 16mm drill bit... but I don't. So I had to mill it out with the Dremmel.

Then to scuff up the surface with a very course grit sandpaper to provide as much texture as I can... or the next part won't work!

This involved a lot of weeping and many apologies to the hilt. It felt like taking a pen knife to the Mona Lisa... The Liberator is such an underrated hilt and I felt so bad for scratching the hell out of such a beautiful piece Sad

Heartbreaking stuff... But I have decided that seeing as this Liberator has been such a trooper to become the donor for this build. I am going to replace it with a full sound equipped version down the track. I still want a nice stock liberator in the collection Smiley

You can see in this photo that the hilt has been sanded in multiple directions to make sure the surface is very scuffed

Because I am going to need to use this stuff

Because of these two reasons

That's right. I'm going to cover this sucker in WOOD! I've seen other people do leather, and car wraps and contact. But I didn't want a cheap looking imitation wood grain. I want actual natural material. So I have taken the bark from a melaleuca tree (also known as a paper bark tree) and am going to attempt to wrap the hilt with it.

So... apply glue liberally to both surfaces

Wait for it to start to go tacky and then

You can sort of get an idea how thick the layer of bark is from those photos and these

The idea is to let the glue dry, and then hand sand the bark down to 1. Get rid of the flaky layers so it actually has a smooth finish, almost like a staff, and 2. Try to bring the shape of the hilt back into the design. At the moment the bark is about 1/8" thick. But I should be able to take that down to 1/32" and still have a good coverage that will show the natural grains and direction of the wood patterns in the layers. If I accidentally go too thin, then I'll glue another piece on to patch it and keep sanding until it's back to where it needs to be.  Adding patches or extra pieces will actually help add more depth to it and I will probably wind up doing that even if I don't screw it up the first time. I imagine that I will stuff it up at least once though as I have never tried this before. I'm not even sure if it will work  Grin Cheesy Tongue

I have also ordered a yari extension that will be getting the same treatment when it arrives.

That's all the update I have for you guys for now. I haven't done any work on the other two builds as yet.

Now to watch the glue dry...

Corwyn VonBeck
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -340

Grey Knight

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 03:57:42 PM »

Interesting concept, I like it! Very interested to see if you can pull this off!

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 10:40:52 PM »

I might know which planet you are dedicating this one too, but I will be interested to see if I am correct. There are so many planets out there after all. Anyways, great job. I think I'll start on the points now so that I am not giving them out for the next two months like I did with the Mustafar. Great work so far.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Hansrad
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -670

Jedi? Sith? I'm the one with the lightsaber.

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 04:19:12 AM »

Holy sweet awesomeness. Can't wait to see how this goes.

Own: Emerald Overlord, BHManticore, BR Renegade,FO Dominix LE V4 (stunt), CG Dominix LE V4 (stunt), GB Apprentice LE(stunt),BR Dark Initiate LE V4 (stunt), AS Apprentice LE V4 (stunt), CG Dominix V3 (stunt), SRD Darkish Liberator (stunt) Emerald Lost Grey.

JediXIX
Alchemist of the Sentinel Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1172

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 08:10:01 AM »

I hope no spiders were harmed in obtaining that paperbark ?  Tongue

+1  Cool

Remember... The Force will be with you... Always . . . (Just let it in)

Isola815
Knight Commander

"Most Redacted"

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2017, 09:09:33 AM »

I hope no spiders were harmed in obtaining that paperbark ?  Tongue

+1  Cool

If there were any I would have run away screaming and would have no bark to bark with  Tongue

Isola815
Knight Commander

"Most Redacted"

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2017, 10:22:41 AM »

Step one was to use a wire brush to take off some of the bigger flakes

I trimmed the end bits down some, and you can see how much it took off

Those parts where the metal was exposed again, I just glued some more bark on top and brushed them again. You can also see on the ground how the bark just shaved off using the wire brush

Then I used some 40 grit sandpaper (the really course stuff) so that I could get that Liberator shape back into the project

But as you can also see from the photos I ran out of sunlight. So this is what I have for now

And the center choke is still noticeably thinner which is great  Grin

Will work my way through to 1200 grit sandpaper next, and continue to glue extra bits on if I expose any more metal in the process.

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2017, 10:39:55 AM »

Amazing! Really looking forward to seeing this develop - it's an amazing project Smiley

Can I ask how you're going to locate the switch hole when the time comes?

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: