Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: New costume for TJ.  (Read 2727 times)
ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« on: February 17, 2017, 03:35:10 PM »

I'm working on a Gray/Non-traditional Jedi costume. I pretty much have the bottom fleshed out. Black riding boots and black leggings, which are already in my laughable small, but slowly and steadily growing "proper" wardrobe.

Now for the top. I THINK I may want to go sleeveless, but I'm not sure where I'll be body wise for Ep 8(that's the goal to have this done by), so I may need sleeves to hide my man arms. lol. As you may have gathered from some of my recent posts, I'm currently in the process of transitioning genders, Male to Female. So keep in mind I'll be going for a more feminine look. Perhaps I'll even be willing to show a bit of skin(that doesn't mean I'll be okay prancing around in my bra and panties) , and I definitely don't want a bunch of hulking manly armor lol.

Any suggestions?

What color scheme up top? I don't know if I want to go brown, that's a little too "traditional Jedi." I'll be using a Dark Sentinel in FO for my saber, so keep that in mind to avoid clashing.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 03:53:38 PM »

As far as I can tell, the Jedi order tend to sway towards earthy tones. So, if you don't want to go with brown, maybe shades of dark green. Or you could go a little different and try blue and grey combo.

Twin Rose (who make excellent costumes) have some great photos on their site. Maybe you could browse through them and get some inspiration from there

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 04:08:21 PM »

As far as I can tell, the Jedi order tend to sway towards earthy tones. So, if you don't want to go with brown, maybe shades of dark green. Or you could go a little different and try blue and grey combo.

Twin Rose (who make excellent costumes) have some great photos on their site. Maybe you could browse through them and get some inspiration from there

Well this character is currently not a member of the Order. She's kind of a rogue Jedi. So color can be anything that doesn't look tacky.....I will have to go browse their site!

(Sig by me!)

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 04:11:09 PM »

Well this character is currently not a member of the Order. She's kind of a rogue Jedi. So color can be anything that doesn't look tacky.....I will have to go browse their site!
I assume she started off as a Jedi before going rogue? (#alternativerogueone). If so, unless something drastic happened, she wouldn't necessarily change her wardrobe. But def check out their site. It's awesome.

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 3214

You can't take the sky from me....

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 05:36:54 PM »

Why wouldn't someone change their wardrobe when they left a group they had previously belonged to? new identity and all.

Anywho, TJ and I have been discussing- and ive been throwing a pile of different ideas.

One possible line we were thinking of was a skirt with leggings underneath. TJ commented about maybe having a skirt and preferring a shorter skirt not big flowy, so possible ideas were these general styles- cross over front where the front is higher than the back (possibly shorter over all than this one, it was the best example i could find at short notice)

Or this style- a layered skirt where one layer is shorter than the other

(BTW the longer skirted version of this is what my Sith costume is Tongue )

Both at least fit into the general KOTOR/ SWTOR styling. Black, dark grey, even dark brown or some other non- bright colour could be used.

TJ said she wants to keep costs down, so my best suggestion has been keeping an eye on thrift shops/ op shops. A regular long sleeved shirt can have a length of fabric folded in half (so its narrower but same length), be wrapped around the neck area and pinned into place to give the effect of overlapping shirt sections- without actually having a shirt made that way, or permanently adjusting the shirt (so it can still be used for regular wear). Then once you add an outer tunic, or tabard, or whatever, you make sure it hides the ends and tada, the appearance of appropriate layers without spending lots of money! Similar effect I use in my costuming with the exception that I sew all my own coz I can, and coz I wear them a lot so it makes them more durable Smiley

Another option could be a plain unpatterned chinese style shirt underneath to give something a little different around the neckline like this. Alternatively you could go a long version of this with or without outer tunics/ tabards/ whatever.

With the thought on the sleeveless tabard or outer tunic, maybe something along the lines of what I did with this one http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=13589.0 which is kind of Ki-Adi-Mundi ish. Cheap option- find a second hand jacket or similar that could be converted, or maybe even a long vest. strips of fabric, or old scarves can be used to make tabards or obis if they are wanted.

At the moment these are purely a lot of thrown around ideas until TJ figures out a bit more what she is wanting Smiley

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

archon v2.1, consular, dominix v3 LE, bellicose, 2x dark initiate v3 LE, dark initiate v2 LE, Aeonix v2, raven, 2x shock, 2x manticore, electrum wind em/v4 obs

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 05:44:12 PM »

Why wouldn't someone change their wardrobe when they left a group they had previously belonged to? new identity and all.

Going from Jedi to Sith, then yes. Going from Jedi to Grey Jedi, I can't see why they would. But that's just me. What do I know. I'm a horny Sith. (and by that I'm a Sith with horns. Keep it clean people).

TJ said she wants to keep costs down, so my best suggestion has been keeping an eye on thrift shops/ op shops.
Oh for sure. Once she has the look she wants then definitely go browsing through charity shops for bits and pieces. Just to clarify, I was saying to use Twin Rose website purely for inspiration. Although, if you want to spend a few pounds/dollars/yen/euros/whatever on a well-made costume then Twin Rose are definitely the people to use (they'll be making mine for me later this year).

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 05:58:48 PM »

Going from Jedi to Sith, then yes. Going from Jedi to Grey Jedi, I can't see why they would. But that's just me. What do I know. I'm a horny Sith. (and by that I'm a Sith with horns. Keep it clean people).
Oh for sure. Once she has the look she wants then definitely go browsing through charity shops for bits and pieces. Just to clarify, I was saying to use Twin Rose website purely for inspiration. Although, if you want to spend a few pounds/dollars/yen/euros/whatever on a well-made costume then Twin Rose are definitely the people to use (they'll be making mine for me later this year).

Yeah I figured thats what you meant Cheesy window (or internet window) shopping doesnt exactly hurt lol Tongue The more ideas the merrier, that is until you have to decide what you want, and you like too many things... maybe thats why i keep making more Jedi costumes Tongue And they do make nice things at Twin Roses!

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

archon v2.1, consular, dominix v3 LE, bellicose, 2x dark initiate v3 LE, dark initiate v2 LE, Aeonix v2, raven, 2x shock, 2x manticore, electrum wind em/v4 obs

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 06:03:38 PM »

Yeah I figured thats what you meant Cheesy window (or internet window) shopping doesnt exactly hurt lol Tongue
That's how I got the ideas for the costumes of the characters in my film. But that's another story.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 06:07:30 PM »

I have to sketch it out, but Blondie helped me get a general idea in my head.  Obviously this may be heavily dependent upon what I actually find at the thrift shop/clearance section at Wal-Mart/Amazon(lots of cheap clothes on there).

I may need TR to commission a cloak though....eventually. I might have to start off with a Rubie's costume cloak though. lol

(Sig by me!)

seaofkyber
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 11

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 08:26:27 PM »

You might already have decided but have you considered a half skirt? It a great compromise plus it gives a very feminine silhouette. (Photo is KrisAntilles from rebel legion) Also, if you're doing something with an obi, picking one with a bit of color is a nice touch.

You can call me Sea.
Apprentice LE V4

LS points please Smiley

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2017, 08:32:36 PM »

You might already have decided but have you considered a half skirt? It a great compromise plus it gives a very feminine silhouette. (Photo is KrisAntilles from rebel legion) Also, if you're doing something with an obi, picking one with a bit of color is a nice touch.

That's very nice, but also extremely "Jedi" to me. I'd like it to be a Jedi like costume, but deviate enough from that, that she would never be mistaken for a member of the Jedi Order. If you catch my drift?

(Sig by me!)

seaofkyber
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 11

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2017, 09:34:28 PM »

Yeah, I just added the pic for a general frame of reference since i couldn't find any other pic. Something with a half skirt is easier to move in compared to a full one, gives the costume a bit of flair and the extra material around the hips would give a more feminine figure. Plus it looks great with leggings. If you find a shirt that you like you can add one on in a similar fabric and hide the seam with an obi (to get a bit of Jedi influence) or just a belt.

After some googling i found someone's kind of closet cosplay:

You can call me Sea.
Apprentice LE V4

LS points please Smiley

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2017, 04:43:20 AM »

Oh, I like that.  Kinda what I had in mind if I went the skirt route....not the color scheme though. Gray top would be nice with brown leggings and boots....though the pair of knee highs I have in brown are high heeled.

(Sig by me!)

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2017, 04:53:02 AM »

Oh, I like that.  Kinda what I had in mind if I went the skirt route....not the color scheme though. Gray top would be nice with brown leggings and boots....though the pair of knee highs I have in brown are high heeled.

That's a KOTOR outfit

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2017, 05:01:23 AM »

That's a KOTOR outfit

I thought it looked familiar...

(Sig by me!)