Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Outer rim lab updates: Rev's technomancing journal  (Read 3923 times)
Jediseth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 828

"If I told you, you wouldn't like it." Han Solo

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2017, 03:51:26 AM »

Wow Rev! I can't believe you drilled that big hole out of a blank chassis disk with a Dremmel. That wasn't easy. How did you clamp that sucker down? And why didn't you use a drill press?

Did you cut out that handle for the reveal with a mill?

Guardian : GB, FOC Red, V4, 11-15                        Reaper: V4, BR, 4-17
Chosen One CE : Emerald, V4, 12-15
Consular: Emerald V4, 1-16
Manticore: BR, FOC Orange, QD, V4, 11-16
Monarch: Emerald, V4, 2016 Autumn Raffle -1st
Arbiter: V4, SD, Silver FOC, QD, 3-17
Archon V2.1, Diamond, 4-17

shade_1313
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 766

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2017, 04:12:44 AM »

I'm just...wow.

I love the look of a good crystal chamber, but I wouldn't even know where to start, myself.

Mad skills and talent, Rev.

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2017, 04:50:43 AM »

old hard drives are gold mines of Crystal Chamber parts.  They're usually pretty easy to take apart- though to get the crown jewel (IMO), it can be a bit of work if you want to preserve it's ability to spin so well. 

That's some awesome advice, bro.  I love what you're doing with the chamber!  Grin

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2017, 09:15:01 AM »

Holy cow man!

Crazy cool. Smiley

-1 Rev.

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

JediXIX
Alchemist of the Sentinel Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1172

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2017, 09:52:29 AM »

And . . . . . I'll just add my WOW's to everyone else's wow's, lol . . . +1  Cool

Remember... The Force will be with you... Always . . . (Just let it in)

RevanReborn
Technomancer of the Graflex Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1086

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2017, 11:44:25 AM »

Wow Rev! I can't believe you drilled that big hole out of a blank chassis disk with a Dremmel. That wasn't easy. How did you clamp that sucker down? And why didn't you use a drill press?

Did you cut out that handle for the reveal with a mill?

haha!  you're totally right dude that took a hella long time lol!  It's just a thing i have- i hate drilling the chassis discs out with the larger bits... it's INSANELY difficult.  and it just scares the crap out of me lol!  I've seen bits snap, i've seen pieces come violently out of their rigging on the deck of the press, etc... he he, CVB can vouch for that i almost ended up with a drill bit and fragments from one of his extension in my face lol.  but god willing i'll never see a large bit, like 1/2" or up, break that way lol, i'd probably have a hard time building up the courage to ever use a drill press again. 

the discs are just super hard to drill out large unless you have a more pro set up.  it's totally doable I've done it, and actually i pretty much always start my dremel holes with the drill to give me a good shape, like i'll get that size bit started at least just so i can use that as a guide while i go, and i'll keep hitting it with the drill as i progress as need be.  it's just cause the larger holes take up almost all of the space on the disc, leaving only a ring, it's a nightmare all around.  securing it is hard cause usually the vice alone won't cut it for this.  and theres not a lot of room for clamping.  and those big bits drill a lot differently than the small ones, like the feel, action i mean.  way more extreme forces involved, i mean considering the size of the piece, it's more like milling the majority of the piece away lol...

i dunno, sorry for the ramble man- just kinda thinking out loud in response to the question- it's a tough one to answer, i'm kinda still working on that- i'm still learning ways of working all the holes into things and stuff- atm i haven't quite mastered the huge hole little piece thing yet lol! 

THANKS EVERYONE!!  shoot, i didn't think anyone would really even notice/ care about this haha!  that's awesome, i'm glad you guys like this stuff too!!  this stuff is probably my fav part of saber craft, i dunno why but i just find it fascinating and amazing all the way along, from the discovering/ making parts to the mechanics of it and everything- i wanna start putting stuff like this in my ultrasabers, i can't wait Smiley.  that's been my goal for a long time now, i think i'm almost ready to give it a shot.  and i see you guys mostly all knew about these little gems already eh?!  haha!  maybe you did before i did even lol?  what other things are you holding out on?! Wink

haha, no but seriously, i'm always looking for great bits and bobs- if anybody knows of/ finds any please feel free to drop them here!  that would be sweet, i love discovering new things to try and collect for saber guts.   

And . . . . . I'll just add my WOW's to everyone else's wow's, lol . . . +1  Cool

i'm glad you like it buddy lol... cause this is yours Smiley.  this is part of that little 'thing' i'm sending with the scorp.  it's not actually gonna be in a full on saber- more like a saber'ish sort of chunk, like a stray section of a saber type thing. think like my holocron boxes type thing, only, well, this instead haha!  there will be a bobble involved as well.  we'll see how this goes, but in a perfect world the crystal rgb's will be on micro slider switches... almost reminiscent of your famous dip switch colour changers you might say Wink ... so you can set the colour mix that way, plus i'm hoping to get some other cool lighting fx in this thing, and have those and the motor on their own switch too.  wanna make a cutout or otherwise expose the gear box on the motor as well- that'll depend where it ends up sitting exactly but that's the idea. 

JediXIX
Alchemist of the Sentinel Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1172

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2017, 03:10:00 PM »

. . . i'm glad you like it buddy lol... cause this is yours Smiley

WOW brother . . . I'm speechless  Shocked

Very Awesome . . . And, thank you  Smiley . . . I've already set aside something I'm sending you with, um, wait, which empty hilt am I swapping with the Scorp ? lol, we still have figure that out  Wink

Remember... The Force will be with you... Always . . . (Just let it in)

RevanReborn
Knight Commander

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2017, 04:07:13 PM »

haha!  yeah true we still didn't figure that out did we lol?  We'll get it sorted out Smiley

tried to post this last night but i couldn't quite get it- was at a wedding lol.  started mounting the motor.  These fins you see come from copper stamping blanks. 
drilled out a hole, then cut/ sanded/ filed them to shape.  The shapes aren't exactly symmetrical, but they ARE exact clones of each other, like they match each other perfectly- important for structural not just cosmetic reasons.
that's the idea- but before i can complete the fins i need to mount the brass piece the axel will pass through.

so now that i know exactly how the motor needs to align etc, i can finish the fins.

i need to cut some longer rods so i can finish that- then ill be cutting tubes to fit over those, and act as spacers to lock the fins in place. 

keep you posted Smiley.

O!  D7 those bits could be super handy, do you have a drill?  You could pop those in an electric drill- they're great for larger pieces.  i use them on the drill press even. 

Jediseth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 828

"If I told you, you wouldn't like it." Han Solo

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2017, 04:22:03 PM »

Those fins look great. I always see stuff like that and think how in the crap do they make those. Taping them down was a genius idea. Didn't think of that. I'm always holding them with a glove on and then my glove gets all chopped up.  Looking really really cool Rev.

Guardian : GB, FOC Red, V4, 11-15                        Reaper: V4, BR, 4-17
Chosen One CE : Emerald, V4, 12-15
Consular: Emerald V4, 1-16
Manticore: BR, FOC Orange, QD, V4, 11-16
Monarch: Emerald, V4, 2016 Autumn Raffle -1st
Arbiter: V4, SD, Silver FOC, QD, 3-17
Archon V2.1, Diamond, 4-17

RevanReborn
Knight Commander

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2017, 05:57:16 PM »

Just taking a break at work right now... and so needed this laugh !  Cheesy

Rev... You are now committed to giving most of these a home and bless you for that.  I was quite prepared to up the anti with some other goodies.  Will put together a saber customization magical first aid box next week.

Prepare to be impressed by my intelligence and savvy.   Wink

D7 I'm always prepared for that, like eveyone who knows you Smiley

Haha!  Ok well I figured you probably didn't have a press lol, but I thought MAYBE there was a chance you'd have like just a normal hand held one, I mean admittedly I didn't think it was likely for one reason or the other, but I've learned I'm better off making as few presumptions about you as possible- only mean that in a good way Smiley.  Thank you very much!  I have lots of surprise sabers and such coming up, they will def be put to good use!  As always too kind.  O and don't sweat the ordering mishaps- I do that all the time lol!  Stuff ends up being WAY off sometimes, it happens. 

Thanks Jediseth!  Yeah there's all kinds of sneaky low tech tricks like that you can use to make pieces.  Taping stacks of discs together can work well too if they're thick/ sturdy enough or you have enough of them.  I couldn't really do that here tho.  I actually taped each disc over the wooden dowel piece I made to mount the rods and the brass piece, then drilled back through all it's holes and into the copper disc, using that chunk as a stencil/ template to get the proper alignment in the fins. 

That part is gonna turn out cool cause it'll be a mini reveal- there's a tube that screws over that whole motor section. 

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2017, 02:09:20 PM »

That's some really awesome work, Rev.  Every update is a visual feast of coolness.  Cool

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: