Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: THE LAST JEDI  (Read 4329 times)
Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« on: February 18, 2017, 03:51:38 PM »

So, with the recent announcement in France and Spain that the (translated) title for episode 8 does indeed mean Jedi in the plural sense, I had a thought. Do we think that this movie will see the end of the Jedi Order as a whole and have it replaced by something new and different?

At the end of ROTJ (spoiler alert) The Empire is destroyed but ends up being replaced by The New Order come episode 7. So, it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that the Jedi Order disappears completely..

Also, as shows like Star Wars Rebels has shown, there are a whole host of force users out there who are not Sith or Jedi (The Nightsisters, The Inquisitors, The Bendu), so would fans be accepting of Star Wars without any Jedi?

Give your opinions below.

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 03:59:17 PM »

Well, as the last "Jedi," who realistically received much less formal training than Obi-Wan and others, I think that Luke may not choose to create a new order just like the old one.  He may even see the old Jedi as flawed, especially if he reads anything of their history and what led to their eventual downfall, which was as much the fault as the old Jedi Order as it was the Sith.  Plus, Luke himself was training a new crop of Jedi, and he himself was blind to an individual rising in the Dark Side, so he may not want to repeat such a failure.  So, it's possible that Luke and Rey will start something new and different.  While they would serve a similar function to the Knights of the Old Republic, (see what I did there? Wink) I think they may not necessarily hold the exact same ideals.  Both Luke and Rey were fully grown when they started their training, and both had already learned some of life's hard lessons, a luxury that most Jedi probably didn't have in the old days.  Plus, unless he finds some texts or holocrons to aid him, (Palpatine probably would have seen to it that as much of that was destroyed as he could) he wouldn't even know how to exactly shape the Jedi in a new order, at least not Jedi like were seen in the Old Republic.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 04:10:30 PM »

Well, as the last "Jedi," who realistically received much less formal training than Obi-Wan and others, I think that Luke may not choose to create a new order just like the old one.  He may even see the old Jedi as flawed, especially if he reads anything of their history and what led to their eventual downfall, which was as much the fault as the old Jedi Order as it was the Sith.  Plus, Luke himself was training a new crop of Jedi, and he himself was blind to an individual rising in the Dark Side, so he may not want to repeat such a failure.  So, it's possible that Luke and Rey will start something new and different.  While they would serve a similar function to the Knights of the Old Republic, (see what I did there? Wink) I think they may not necessarily hold the exact same ideals.  Both Luke and Rey were fully grown when they started their training, and both had already learned some of life's hard lessons, a luxury that most Jedi probably didn't have in the old days.  Plus, unless he finds some texts or holocrons to aid him, (Palpatine probably would have seen to it that as much of that was destroyed as he could) he wouldn't even know how to exactly shape the Jedi in a new order, at least not Jedi like were seen in the Old Republic.

The current comics have Luke finding snippets of info from Obi-Wan's journal and going to different Jedi sites.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 04:16:14 PM »

The current comics have Luke finding snippets of info from Obi-Wan's journal and going to different Jedi sites.

Yeah, he did that in the Legends timeline too.  However, he still won't get a complete picture and may pick and choose what to go with.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 04:28:01 PM »

Yeah, he did that in the Legends timeline too.  However, he still won't get a complete picture and may pick and choose what to go with.
Just like Disney and Legends Shocked

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 04:43:25 PM »

Just like Disney and Legends Shocked

Yeah, more or less. Roll Eyes

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 04:48:02 PM »

I agree 100% with what you said here and I shall give you a point (and a Tran-Atlantic high five) for the KOTOR quip.

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 04:48:37 PM »

so would fans be accepting of Star Wars without any Jedi?

Give your opinions below.

Probably not.

The Star Wars universe was meant to be very black and white, with the Jedi are the audience's analog for right, and wrong.

I doubt it would go over well, then again, the last time Star Wars fans actually liked Star Wars it was 1980, and the Empire was striking back.

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 04:53:14 PM »

Probably not.

The Star Wars universe was meant to be very black and white, with the Jedi are the audience's analog for right, and wrong.

Not anymore.  The books and Rebels are beginning to introduce the aspects of "Grey".  The aftermath books for one are showing why those that joined the Empire did so...and it was not just because they were "evil".   Many of them were from small planets ignored by the Republic and ran by criminals...to the the Empire brought order and stability.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 04:56:36 PM »

Probably not.

Although, one could argue that the Jedi only played a small role in the original trilogy and only became more of a focus with Legends and then the Prequels.

However, as SFD stated earlier, we could have a new order created that performs the same function as the old Jedi Order, but doesn't commit the same mistakes or exhibit the same level of inflexibility (and some could say arrogance) as shown in the past. Look at Kanan on Star Wars Rebels. (mild spoiler alert). He wasn't officially a Jedi until towards the end of season 2, but the audience still like him. He used some principles he was taught by the order before Order 66 and then proceeded as best he could.

I think one of the best things Rebels has done is show that there are a number of force users out there that aren't Jedi or Sith. Jedi and Sith are opposites of the same coin, but as the Sith were destroyed by the end of ROTJ (spoiler alert) DisneyLucas could either repeat themselves and say "there were actually more Sith out there that we didn't know about" or create new storytelling opportunities by introducing new dark side users. Remember Kylo and Snoke are not Sith, but they do use the dark side.

That's just my take on things.

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2017, 05:09:00 PM »

Rogue One also gave us another character who can use the Force but is no Jedi or Sith.  While he was on the side of good, he clearly didn't align with either "side" of the Force and merely surrendered to the will of the Force, allowing it to fully control his actions.  It was made clear in the dialog that he wasn't the only person like this in the galaxy.  So, it's safe to say that Force users exist who follow none the ideologies of the Jedi or Sith, but instead just follow and use the Force.  This greatly opens up what is and isn't acceptable in terms of storytelling with Force users.

Note: I didn't spoiler warning this because I revealed nothing that wasn't shown in the trailers nor did I explain how the character fits into the movie's plot.

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2017, 05:17:33 PM »

As i already wrote in the Forum, i will be very pleased if there is something new on Ep VIII ... I would like to see a new order that defends the galaxy that is not the Jedi order ...

But i have to be realistic  Grin Ep. VII shows us that Disney/Lucas wanted to reboot the SWU ... so we can imagine that we will have, in Ep VIII:
- Luke training Rey
- A revelation about Snoke and "unfortunately" a family link with Rey
- Rey struggling between light and dark side ...

And i think that we will see the rebirth of the Jedi Order ...

But i really REALLY want to be wrong  Grin

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2017, 05:29:18 PM »

Well if the response here is any indication, so long Jedi.  Cheesy

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

JediJacob
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 49

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2017, 08:54:08 PM »

I had an alternate thought with the title recently. So the obvious bit of the title is Luke and Rey as the Last Jedi and the crawl for TFA mentioned last jedi for Luke. This could just mean it is about them and has a  focus on Luke but sometimes the titles have a double meaning and I thought of this. What if the title is referring to the Last Jedi that Luke tried to train? We don't know much about what happened but we know Luke was training a new order of Jedi when Kylo betrayed him with the help of the knights of Ren (for all we know Kylo isn't the only one that fell). The knights are rumored to show up and attack Luke and Rey so the title could be referencing this conflict.  The legendary "last jedi" Luke and his new disciple against his old disciple and possibly other students. The only ones still alive with Jedi Training fighting it out. It doesn't necessarily mean the death of the Jedi but it'd be an interesting take because its not the classic Sith vs Jedi.

The Force is with me and I am one with the Force

Jediseth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 828

"If I told you, you wouldn't like it." Han Solo

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2017, 09:18:19 PM »

Oh I can see I posted this link in the wrong spot 😁  There all fixed.  Ya baby!!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a_7pu-U1gOk

Guardian : GB, FOC Red, V4, 11-15                        Reaper: V4, BR, 4-17
Chosen One CE : Emerald, V4, 12-15
Consular: Emerald V4, 1-16
Manticore: BR, FOC Orange, QD, V4, 11-16
Monarch: Emerald, V4, 2016 Autumn Raffle -1st
Arbiter: V4, SD, Silver FOC, QD, 3-17
Archon V2.1, Diamond, 4-17

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: