Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Lion King Casts Donald Glover as Simba; James Earl Jones Returning  (Read 1554 times)
Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« on: February 18, 2017, 06:13:08 PM »

Walt Disney Pictures is on top of the world right now, whether it be for their beloved animated films or live-action fantasy adventures. For instance, coming down the pipeline within the next two years is a whole slew of future animated classics like Coco, as well as sequels to Cars, Wreck-It Ralph and The Incredibles. While in the live-action department, theatergoers can soon look forward to jetting off through time and space with the likes of Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, A Wrinkle in Time and Mary Poppins Returns.

Yet it might be Disney’s new line of live-action remakes that are currently eliciting the most excitement from the hearts of viewers young and old. By taking masterpieces like Alice in Wonderland, Cinderella, The Jungle Book, and Beauty and the Beast and reinventing them for the modern age, Walt Disney Pictures has created a virtual gold mine of possibilities for years to come. Presently in various stages of production are remakes for Mulan, Dumbo, The Little Mermaid, The Sword in the Stone and Peter Pan with absolutely no end in sight.

However, a new live-action adaptation has just jumped to the head of the pack. Jon Favreau (who directed last year’s live-action remake of The Jungle Book) has already started casting his upcoming adaptation of the 1994 animated classic The Lion King. In a surprise tease on Twitter this afternoon, Favreau revealed that Donald Glover has joined the movie as the lead, Simba, and James Earl Jones will be reprising his role as Simba’s father, Mufasa.

I just can’t wait to be king. #Simba

— Jon Favreau (@Jon_Favreau) February 18, 2017

Looking forward to working with this legend. #Mufasa

— Jon Favreau (@Jon_Favreau) February 18, 2017

Based on a script from screenwriter Jeff Nathanson (Catch Me If You Can, Tower Heist), The Lion King is expected to use CGI to create life-like photorealistic environments and characters for the movie, much like in Favreau’s previous film The Jungle Book. This time around though, he’ll have the added challenge of there not being any humans in sight. It’ll be difficult then to make the film its own entity, instead of having it become just another animated movie like the original. The trick will be to make it look as real as possible, while also adjusting the story to support that this is no longer a cartoon.

Still, the talents of Glover and Jones should go a long way to bringing The Lion King to life. Matthew Broderick and Jonathan Taylor Thomas voiced the older and younger versions of Simba, respectively, in the original movie. Disney announced that Glover will be voicing adult Simba, so it will be interesting to see who is cast as the younger version of the character. Jones back as Mufasa will allow the movie to ground itself, before Glover is on his own and on his way to becoming king.

Sauce: http://screenrant.com/lion-king-donald-glover-james-earl-jones/

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 06:42:38 PM »

Really these live action "remakes" have not been very good. 

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 07:40:44 PM »

I was thinking about this the other day, wondering if the would or could do it. I can't wait to see it now. The Jungle Book was amazing, and Beauty and the Beast looks like it will be good too. I also cant wait to see who they get for Timone and Pumba.

Really these live action "remakes" have not been very good. 

I disagree. They may not have been the best movies in the world, but they were still good.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 08:06:30 PM »

I was thinking about this the other day, wondering if the would or could do it. I can't wait to see it now. The Jungle Book was amazing, and Beauty and the Beast looks like it will be good too. I also cant wait to see who they get for Timone and Pumba.

I disagree. They may not have been the best movies in the world, but they were still good.

..and I disagree with that Tongue 

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 06:03:08 AM »

On the subject of Disney's live actions remakes, let's look at the list subjectively:

Alice in Wonderland & Through the Looking Glass - Both were visually interesting, but as movies they were very uneven and jumbled messes.

Maleficent - So much potential, but they made the mistake of making the main antagonist nice. HUGE faux pas

Cinderella - updated some aspects of the story that needed it, and had some great performances. But "Ever After"  is still a better live action version of the story

The Jungle Book - as a feat of CGI filmmaking, it is up there with Avatar. Some great voice acting too. However, IMO, nothing can touch the brilliance of the animated original. Not bad by any stretch of the imagination and Idris Elba as Shere Khan was perfect casting.

Beauty and the Beast - We shall see, but it does look like a beat-4-beat, shot-4-shot remake of the animated movie. And if that's the case, why bother? I can just go watch that version instead.

Mulan - This could actually be amazing, especially as they have one of the creative people behind Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon onboard as executive producer.

With regards to The Lion King being remade, I'm glad that James Earl Jones is coming back as Mufasa, as I'm not sure anyone other than him could have done the character justice.

But I'm not too sure how well the film will work. At least with The Jungle Book you had Mowgli as a real life grounding presence. The Lion King doesn't have any characters like that. But, if anyone can make it work, it'll be Favreau. Until proven otherwise, I have faith in his skills as a director.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 06:33:26 AM »

On the subject of Disney's live actions remakes, let's look at the list subjectively:

Alice in Wonderland & Through the Looking Glass - Both were visually interesting, but as movies they were very uneven and jumbled messes.

Maleficent - So much potential, but they made the mistake of making the main antagonist nice. HUGE faux pas

Cinderella - updated some aspects of the story that needed it, and had some great performances. But "Ever After"  is still a better live action version of the story

The Jungle Book - as a feat of CGI filmmaking, it is up there with Avatar. Some great voice acting too. However, IMO, nothing can touch the brilliance of the animated original. Not bad by any stretch of the imagination and Idris Elba as Shere Khan was perfect casting.

Beauty and the Beast - We shall see, but it does look like a beat-4-beat, shot-4-shot remake of the animated movie. And if that's the case, why bother? I can just go watch that version instead.

Mulan - This could actually be amazing, especially as they have one of the creative people behind Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon onboard as executive producer.

With regards to The Lion King being remade, I'm glad that James Earl Jones is coming back as Mufasa, as I'm not sure anyone other than him could have done the character justice.

But I'm not too sure how well the film will work. At least with The Jungle Book you had Mowgli as a real life grounding presence. The Lion King doesn't have any characters like that. But, if anyone can make it work, it'll be Favreau. Until proven otherwise, I have faith in his skills as a director.

The Alice films were not remakes of the Animated film, just Burton's adaption of the Source (although he seemed to borrow from American McGee's Alice).  Agreed on Ever After.  I felt Jungle Book just fell flat and Elba as Shere Kahn SHOULD have be awesome but was underwhelming to me...(Looking forward to Cumberbatch though in Jungle Book Origins).  What you said about Beauty and the beast is how I feel about all of them..Why bother when the animated versions are already good. 

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 06:38:11 AM »

The Alice films were not remakes of the Animated film, just Burton's adaption of the Source (although he seemed to borrow from American McGee's Alice). 
I know. I simplified it down though, as it's 6.30 and I didn't want to go into essay mode!  Cheesy

I felt Jungle Book just fell flat and Elba as Shere Kahn SHOULD have be awesome but was underwhelming to me...
I thought Bill Murray was miscast. They should have got John Goodman (imagine him doing for Baloo what he did for Sully in Monsters Inc. But that's just me). IMO Idris was suitably menacing as Shere Khan. But opinions will always vary and that's fine (although I am clearly right in this instance Tongue)

What you said about Beauty and the beast is how I feel about all of them..Why bother when the animated versions are already good. 
Money. Disney like money.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 06:40:40 AM »

Haven't watched the Alice movies, but I have really enjoyed the other ones.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 06:47:05 AM »

Haven't watched the Alice movies,
Don't. They're awful

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2017, 07:12:49 AM »

Don't. They're awful

That's what I figured. I didn't hear them talked about much, so I never really considered them.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: