Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Capes and Sabers  (Read 3318 times)
theAfanc
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 14

Welsh Mythological Lake Monster

« on: February 19, 2017, 04:16:31 AM »

So I did a search and didn't find anything - The species my original character is wears capes pretty much in every picture I can find, so I really want to include one in my costume.  Problem is, I wore a cloak I had on hand (yea, I'm that kind of person) and I had a lot of resistance and catching on my saber.  I don't do a ton of flourishes and pretty stuff because my character is very rage educed and brute strength but it is incredibly impracticable.  The only thing I can come up with right now is taking it off near the beginning of one of my fights for dramatic effect and also to just get it out of the way.  But I want to be able to show off all my costume parts.  Is there anything else I can do?

Edon Bluewolf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1271

Light side points please

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 05:21:00 AM »

What about a clone trooper style leg cape, or short shoulder cape?

“Your focus determines your reality.” – Qui-Gon Jinn

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 05:37:10 AM »

So I did a search and didn't find anything - The species my original character is wears capes pretty much in every picture I can find, so I really want to include one in my costume.  Problem is, I wore a cloak I had on hand (yea, I'm that kind of person) and I had a lot of resistance and catching on my saber.  I don't do a ton of flourishes and pretty stuff because my character is very rage educed and brute strength but it is incredibly impracticable.  The only thing I can come up with right now is taking it off near the beginning of one of my fights for dramatic effect and also to just get it out of the way.  But I want to be able to show off all my costume parts.  Is there anything else I can do?
How long is your cape? What material is it made of?

Count Dooku wore a cape during his duels, so you may want to look into how the cape hangs on your shoulders. Also, there is a reason Jedi usually take off their robes before a big fight; they can occasionally reduce range of motion/movement. Plus, you make a really dramatic scene, placing emphasis on taking off the cape before battle.

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 3214

You can't take the sky from me....

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 07:48:40 AM »

How long is your cape? What material is it made of?

Count Dooku wore a cape during his duels, so you may want to look into how the cape hangs on your shoulders. Also, there is a reason Jedi usually take off their robes before a big fight; they can occasionally reduce range of motion/movement. Plus, you make a really dramatic scene, placing emphasis on taking off the cape before battle.

And losing robes!! -I'd like to requisition another robe please. -What?! That's your third this month!

Sorry, but I always get a chuckle out of that thought Grin

Even with the slimmer fit robes like what we have for SWTOR era, they can still get in the way a bit.

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

archon v2.1, consular, dominix v3 LE, bellicose, 2x dark initiate v3 LE, dark initiate v2 LE, Aeonix v2, raven, 2x shock, 2x manticore, electrum wind em/v4 obs

Samhain138
Dark Lord of the Menace Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2171

Aw, crap.

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 08:04:59 AM »

I do a lot of saber spinning and cosplay related things.  More often than not I run into this problem

I cosplay Jon Snow and carry my sword with me, doing any type of fancy maneuvers is impossible in that big furry cape.  That said, there are alternatives.  Maybe something behind the shoulders like Dooku wore.  I find my Kylo Ren costume good for spinning in.  The smaller cape/hood gives me plenty of freedom of movement.  I even have this hanging cape/hood cloak thing.  I can't do as much as in my Kylo costume but I was surprised how freely I could move in this.

It's a hooded cape with fabric that hangs over the front, it doesn't have any proper sleeves and you can wear it many different ways.

theAfanc
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 02:10:52 PM »

My current cape is all the way to the floor on me and goes all the way around my shoulders, enveloping me completely.  So I'm thinking if anything, I need something that isn't so wide and just clips at the shoulders.  I don't plan to have long sleeves so that won't be a problem with the hilt, it's just the tip that keeps catching and flipping the end up over my head >.<

And for what it's worth, I am doing a Kaleesh.  Also I should throw in there that I am a Grey leaning more towards Sithy nature at this point in my choreo.  She is hell bent on revenge and has a rage and temper to rival the best of them.

Samhain138
Dark Lord of the Menace Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2171

Aw, crap.

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 02:44:52 PM »

Well I want to see how that turns out.  I've always said when I win the lottery I am cosplaying grievous Lol.

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 02:49:34 PM »

And losing robes!! -I'd like to requisition another robe please. -What?! That's your third this month!

Sorry, but I always get a chuckle out of that thought Grin

Heh, that's pretty funny.  The Jedi quartermaster has a pile of singed/torn up robes from all of those fancy flourishes that Jedi seem so fond of.  Cheesy

On a side note, guess we now know why the Jedi usually take the robes off when they go into saber combat.  Wink

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 3214

You can't take the sky from me....

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 03:10:03 PM »

Heh, that's pretty funny.  The Jedi quartermaster has a pile of singed/torn up robes from all of those fancy flourishes that Jedi seem so fond of.  Cheesy

On a side note, guess we now know why the Jedi usually take the robes off when they go into saber combat.  Wink

*swing swing swoosh swing! Holds up cloak* argh, not another hole!  Tongue

My current cape is all the way to the floor on me and goes all the way around my shoulders, enveloping me completely.  So I'm thinking if anything, I need something that isn't so wide and just clips at the shoulders.  I don't plan to have long sleeves so that won't be a problem with the hilt, it's just the tip that keeps catching and flipping the end up over my head >.<

And for what it's worth, I am doing a Kaleesh.  Also I should throw in there that I am a Grey leaning more towards Sithy nature at this point in my choreo.  She is hell bent on revenge and has a rage and temper to rival the best of them.

Sorry we are going a little off topic... its just one of those things ive always giggled at Tongue

I look forward to seeing your cosplay Smiley I would say a cape that you can have it so that it is pushed back over your shoulders when sparring should work. maybe experiment with pinning your current cape and having some practice spins will be handy, before you sink money into something you find doesnt quite do what you want? Or get some really cheap cotton and do some cheap mocks ups and see if you are happy with them? Lightweight cotton obviously wont sit like a thicker fabric, but it could give you a better idea of what will suit both the look you want, and the practicality you desire Smiley and they wouldnt take as much effort to make coz you dont need to worry about hemming etc for a cheap mock up

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

archon v2.1, consular, dominix v3 LE, bellicose, 2x dark initiate v3 LE, dark initiate v2 LE, Aeonix v2, raven, 2x shock, 2x manticore, electrum wind em/v4 obs

shade_1313
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 766

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2017, 06:26:08 PM »

I ordered my sith robe with short sleeves for a couple reasons.  One is that my sith character is a swordsman first, and would avoid anything that would be prone to catching his hilt on.  The other is to show off the under robe's sleeves.

Other than that, it's a pretty standard Jedi/Sith robe, and I discovered pretty quickly that spins like the Ani/Obi get caught up in the robe very easily.

Soul
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -115

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 11:59:05 PM »

You could consider doing something similar to what the Emperor's Royal Guards would apparently do when it was time for them to fight.

ie: wrap the cloak around an arm to fight.  Works better with a thinner cloak, so you could always consider putting a slit down the centre of your cloak to make it actually two thinner cloaks.  Then you could wrap a half cloak around each arm, as shown at the bottum of the above image,

They do a similar thing in some Wushu fight scenes where the fighter is wearing a robe.  They fling the robe flap over a shoulder, or wrap it around an arm to get it outta the way.  Have a look at the fights scenes with Li Mu Bai from Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, it might give some inspiration.

Neither Sith nor Jedi, however dark side points are appropriate

My saber: Aeon LE V4 Fire Orange stunt

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2031

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2017, 05:33:23 AM »

I wear my cape under my main robe. I usually never take my robe off unless someone wants to see my inner tunic details Tongue Plus it gives it that cool sort of double layer lie look too

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2017, 05:53:36 AM »

I haven't used my saber much with my cloak on, but I don't think it is terrible. It is just one from Amazon. Pretty cheap, but looks good.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

theAfanc
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2017, 09:13:53 AM »

You could consider doing something similar to what the Emperor's Royal Guards would apparently do when it was time for them to fight.

ie: wrap the cloak around an arm to fight.  Works better with a thinner cloak, so you could always consider putting a slit down the centre of your cloak to make it actually two thinner cloaks.  Then you could wrap a half cloak around each arm, as shown at the bottum of the above image,

They do a similar thing in some Wushu fight scenes where the fighter is wearing a robe.  They fling the robe flap over a shoulder, or wrap it around an arm to get it outta the way.  Have a look at the fights scenes with Li Mu Bai from Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, it might give some inspiration.

Unfortunately I can't read the text on that image but it looks super cool!

It's also great to see someone else talk about Wushu, well at all. XXD  It is the style I practice, but no one ever knows what it is.

Soul
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -115

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2017, 10:21:28 PM »

Unfortunately I can't read the text on that image but it looks super cool!

Eh, it's all about the picture anyway.  It gives the right idea, and for me it makes the Royal Guards just that much cooler!  It also provides a relatively practical answer to fighting while wearing a cape or robe, which in reality is just stupid.

It's also great to see someone else talk about Wushu, well at all. XXD  It is the style I practice, but no one ever knows what it is.

Nice man, that's cool  Smiley
I have some martial arts background, and I did Capoeira briefly, so when I'm watching 'Trix' vids there's often a lot of cross over with Wushu practitioners.  They can both get very flashy  Cool

Neither Sith nor Jedi, however dark side points are appropriate

My saber: Aeon LE V4 Fire Orange stunt

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: