Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Covertech Blade Retention Thumb Screw  (Read 1323 times)
JayMeezy
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -17

Darkside points

« on: February 20, 2017, 06:22:47 AM »

Has anyone used the covertech thumb screw from css as a blade retention screw? I'm about to order the malice but would like to do that if it's possible, instead of putting the covertech somewhere else. This will keep it 501st compliant without having the covertech on the top of the hilt and in my way. It is 8-32. Is there a reason that it wouldn't work?

The Jedi seek to take away your humanity; the sith simply show you how to control it.

Sabers:
The Malice: BR, FoC Silver, Obsidian v4 Sound, Red Illuminated Switch, large claws
The Chosen One SE: BR, FoC Silver, Obsidian v4 Sound
Dark Initiate LE v4(main hand. Built from empty hilt): VA, FoC Silver, NB v3 sound, VA illuminated 12mm Switch
Dark Initiate LE v3 (off hand): VA
Initiate v2: BR

Isola815
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 594

"Most Redacted"

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 06:57:57 AM »

The only reason I can see that not working is having those claws pointed straight up at you. Especially if you get the large 8" ones. You'll have 8" of claw and 1" of emitter sticking up off your belt. And nearly 7" front to back.

I honestly can't see the covertech being in the way, if placed near the pommel on a hilt that has nearly a foot of available grip room.

JayMeezy
Knight Lance Corporal

Darkside points

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 08:19:19 AM »

The only reason I can see that not working is having those claws pointed straight up at you. Especially if you get the large 8" ones. You'll have 8" of claw and 1" of emitter sticking up off your belt. And nearly 7" front to back.

I honestly can't see the covertech being in the way, if placed near the pommel on a hilt that has nearly a foot of available grip room.

That worries me a little too, but it actuality HAS to point up at you to be 501st compliant. Here's the description.

"The belt clip connection point is located on the top of the Lightsaber, between the two blades, allowing the Lightsaber to hang with the blade upward."

I'm hoping that few inches that it brings the blades down by putting it higher up will keep it from stabbing my arm.

The Jedi seek to take away your humanity; the sith simply show you how to control it.

Sabers:
The Malice: BR, FoC Silver, Obsidian v4 Sound, Red Illuminated Switch, large claws
Dark Initiate LE v4(main hand. Built from empty hilt): VA, FoC Silver, NB v3 sound, VA illuminated 12mm Switch

Isola815
Knight Commander

"Most Redacted"

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 10:54:59 AM »

That worries me a little too, but it actuality HAS to point up at you to be 501st compliant. Here's the description.

"The belt clip connection point is located on the top of the Lightsaber, between the two blades, allowing the Lightsaber to hang with the blade upward."

I'm hoping that few inches that it brings the blades down by putting it higher up will keep it from stabbing my arm.

Well you could always try getting it with smaller blades? His blades look more like the smaller blades anyway tbh. I just want the big blades when I get one because COME ON!

Good luck with it  Undecided

JayMeezy
Knight Lance Corporal

Darkside points

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 07:30:13 AM »

Well you could always try getting it with smaller blades? His blades look more like the smaller blades anyway tbh. I just want the big blades when I get one because COME ON!

Good luck with it  Undecided

I went ahead and pulled the trigger. I couldn't make myself get the small blades, though. I ordered the 8-32 covertech screw, too. Hopefully it'll work on the retention screw because I didn't order a covertech on the saber.

Sabers:

Isola815
Knight Commander

"Most Redacted"

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 07:44:52 AM »

Fingers crossed then.

Looking forward to an unboxing/review video of it!

nathanielreykun
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 40

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 04:13:13 AM »

I actually used one of those for a while on my Apprentice LE V4 and then the same one on my Aeon V2. What I found is that for extended usage, between the weight of the hilt and screwing/unscrewing constantly to switch between a blade and a plug, the plastic tends to stress, and it gradually got a bend to it. Then while wearing my Aeon out one day, something bumped into the hilt, and the threaded part broke entirely. In summation, it depends on how much you plan to actually use it, and the kind of wear and tear it will get.

Dark Apprentice V4 Stunt
Initiate V3/Mantis Combo Stunt
Aeon V2 Stunt
Reaper Obsidian Lite
Sentinel LE V4 Obsidian V4QR CouplerApprentice LE V4 Obsidian V4
Modified Mantis CE Custom Obsidian V4

JayMeezy
Knight Lance Corporal

Darkside points

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 06:31:35 AM »

I actually used one of those for a while on my Apprentice LE V4 and then the same one on my Aeon V2. What I found is that for extended usage, between the weight of the hilt and screwing/unscrewing constantly to switch between a blade and a plug, the plastic tends to stress, and it gradually got a bend to it. Then while wearing my Aeon out one day, something bumped into the hilt, and the threaded part broke entirely. In summation, it depends on how much you plan to actually use it, and the kind of wear and tear it will get.

Thanks, that's good to know. I got mine in. It appears to be metal, and not plastic though. I think I'll shave the screw down until it puts the covertech flush with the hilt when the blade is in. I'll also be sure to screw it in all of the way when it isn't in. Hopefully those 2 things will prevent it from bending.

Sabers:

firehand10k
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 388

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 04:46:41 PM »

It will work but I would add a hole for it just to avoid the constant wear of lessening and tightening on the load bearing wheel. Also that wheel you talking about has no wrench point so it can be only finger tightened leaving it susceptible to working loose easier both then worn and when retaining. There is room around that emitter to add a pair of retention holes that would keep it symmetrical and good looking but allow permanent installation of the wheel.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff