Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
Author Topic: Top 11 Favourite 90s Movies of all Time  (Read 14675 times)
Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2017, 04:44:09 AM »

.ave you seen Malcolm X, which is, in opinion, one of his greatest performances ever as he plays the character at so many different points in his life.
 And he was a great Batman.

Got to respectfully disagree with both of those statements. 

Handful of names off the top of my head:
Daniel Day-Lewis
Laurence Fishburne
Yul Brynner
Tommy Lee Jones
Kurt Russel
Morgan Freeman
.....just to name a few

Goes without saying this is of course My opinion.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2017, 04:49:49 AM »

Got to respectfully disagree with both of those statements. 

Handful of names off the top of my head:
Daniel Day-Lewis
Laurence Fishburne
Yul Brynner
Tommy Lee Jones
Kurt Russel
Morgan Freeman
.....just to name a few

Goes without saying this is of course My opinion.
Well Daniel is the current reigining best actor on the planet. He doesn't do a lot of movies, but when he does he WILL win an oscar. When you compare him to someone like Meryl Streep, when she's in a movie people assume she will probably get nominated. With Daniel, people just assume he will win! LOL

As for the other names you mentioned, all fine actors. Obviously we will have to agree to disagree about Denzel who I think is better than three of the names on your list. But, acting, like movies, is subjective.

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2017, 02:34:08 PM »

Yea, I actually am not a fan of Denzel at all.  I always get looks like I have 2 heads when I say that, but he just isn't a good actor to me.

You know what Denzel would say about that:

"King Kong ain't go s*** on me!"

Sorry, couldn't resist.  Wink

As you say, it's all opinion and, if you don't like the guy, you don't like him.  Personally, I do.  I love his Oscar winning role in Training Day, an Oscar I thought was overdue.  (that movie will be on my list of 2000-2010 films Wink)  I think he's put in a lot of other great roles over the years.  Now, that's not to say I like his entire body of work, I can't say that about anyone.  But, I like a lot of his stuff.  However, you don't and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2017, 02:37:21 PM »

You know what Denzel would say about that:

"King Kong ain't go s*** on me!"

Sorry, couldn't resist.  Wink

As you say, it's all opinion and, if you don't like the guy, you don't like him.  Personally, I do.  I love his Oscar winning role in Training Day, an Oscar I thought was overdue.  (that movie will be on my list of 2000-2010 films Wink)  I think he's put in a lot of other great roles over the years.  Now, that's not to say I like his entire body of work, I can't say that about anyone.  But, I like a lot of his stuff.  However, you don't and everyone is entitled to their opinion.
SFD - you might find these two videos interesting.

Top 5 worst Denzel performances
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3mMNn2lQ8s

Top 5 best Denzel peformances
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ-y9WT7AZ4

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2017, 03:13:17 PM »

I always liked Denzel in Fallen.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2017, 03:15:28 PM »

I always liked Denzel in Fallen.
I always liked Denzel (end of sentence).

Fallen is one his more underrated movies. As is The Bone Collector with a then young Angelina Jolie.

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2017, 03:22:39 PM »

SFD - you might find these two videos interesting.

Top 5 worst Denzel performances
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3mMNn2lQ8s

Top 5 best Denzel peformances
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ-y9WT7AZ4

WHAT?!  He didn't like Virtuosity? (yes, I realize that's not exactly what he said) Granted, not necessarily A++ Denzel, but he's Denzel.  Also, that movie is just stupid fun.  Though, admittedly, while Denzel is in the film, it's Russel Crowe who makes it fun.  He's over the top zany, as Walter (the guy who did that video) said.  That's the only film on the "worst" list I've even seen.

Also, I forgot Denzel won an Oscar for Glory.  Damn good movie right there and definitely one where Denzel brought his A+++ game.

Interesting that he was even able to do a top 5 for Denzel, when you could easily do a top 10 or more.  Some of my favorites only made the best list as honorable mentions.  (Remember the Titans and Glory are both wonderful)  Gotta agree with his pick for #1.  I hadn't seen that movie in years until I bought it out of the cheap Blu-ray bin at work.  Even though I've seen it plenty of times before, I'm still blown away by Training day, particularly Denzel's role.  Though, many people brought forth their A+++ game for that film.  Ethan Hawke did a great job, and he got an Oscar nomination for his role.  Antoine Fuqua really put together a fantastic cast for that one, and he made a really wonderful, if hard hitting film.  I don't know how it wasn't up for more awards.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2017, 03:32:14 PM »

WHAT?!  He didn't like Virtuosity? (yes, I realize that's not exactly what he said) Granted, not necessarily A++ Denzel, but he's Denzel.  Also, that movie is just stupid fun.  Though, admittedly, while Denzel is in the film, it's Russel Crowe who makes it fun.  He's over the top zany, as Walter (the guy who did that video) said.  That's the only film on the "worst" list I've even seen.
I felt the same way when I watched the videos. I liked Virtuosity too (I agree that Russell Crowe made the movie) but it's not a great movie. However, Denzel was solid in it. But as Walter said, it's hard finding bad Denzel performances. The movies may be bad but Denzel rarely is.

Also, I forgot Denzel won an Oscar for Glory.  Damn good movie right there and definitely one where Denzel brought his A+++ game.
Yep, for Best Supporting Actor. Such a great movie. Has a solid place in my collection in a specific section (alongside Roots, 12 Years a Slave, Amistad etc).

Interesting that he was even able to do a top 5 for Denzel, when you could easily do a top 10 or more.  Some of my favorites only made the best list as honorable mentions.  (Remember the Titans and Glory are both wonderful).
True, but, as with my "Top 11 Favourite..." lists, you have to limit yourself to a specific number otherwise you'll end up just listing off every movie and then it reads like an IMDB entry rather than a fun little bitesize editorial piece. Plus, it easily starts a conversation with others.

Gotta agree with his pick for #1.  I hadn't seen that movie in years until I bought it out of the cheap Blu-ray bin at work.  Even though I've seen it plenty of times before, I'm still blown away by Training day, particularly Denzel's role.  Though, many people brought forth their A+++ game for that film.  Ethan Hawke did a great job, and he got an Oscar nomination for his role.  Antoine Fuqua really put together a fantastic cast for that one, and he made a really wonderful, if hard hitting film.  I don't know how it wasn't up for more awards.
I agree with his top 5 but not the order. But, therein lies the reason I like these lists as people will rarely agree on order or inclusions and, as stated before, conversation and discussion ensues.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: