Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Electrum Wind - Review  (Read 1378 times)
James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« on: February 20, 2017, 09:04:48 PM »

I have a few reviews to get uploaded, and have to start somewhere, so why not one I've already (sort of) reviewed before?

And so to the Electrum Wind.

I already did a first impression and disassembly of this much-anticipated hilt when I first bought it, so I’m not sure how much else there is to...

...to...

...to...

*Sips dangerously*

THIS IS SAMUEL L. JACKSON’S LIGHTSABRE!!!

*Cough*

Whether your Samuel L. Jackson is Robby Jackson, Sergeant Harrelson, John Arnold, Mace Windu, Carl Lee Hailey, Danny Roman, Jules Winnfield...

Ezekiel 25:17: The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness, for he is truly his brother’s keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy My brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.

*deep breath*

...Neville Flynn, Officer Tenpenny, Elijah Price, Zeus Carver, Shaft, Augustus Gibbons, Lazarus, Afro Samurai, Frozone, Nick Fury...

...well, there’s no argument that he’s a stone-cold badass.

Let’s be clear: This is a beautiful lightsabre, one of the nicest US have ever made. It’s got heft to it, but the ludicrous customisation options mean you can make it pretty much as fancy or as plain as you like. Do bear in mind, though, that you can invalidate your warranty by stripping it down too much – at least to the point that US won’t put it back together again.

This party’s over

The Electrum Wind is an evolution of previous US designs like the Guardian, Scorpion and Mantis, each of which have used some variation on the core body/outer sleeve approach to design.

In this case, the Electrum Wind’s parts are much more modular. Where taking apart any of the others would require some degree of surgery to the wiring, the Electrum Wind can be stripped down while remaining a fully functional lightsabre.

Do me a favor. Try not to bring it to life.

Whether you want to do so or not is up to you – You may just make do with altering the MHS pommel and emitter. As the standard emitter on this hilt does not feature a retention screw, this could let you add on a Manticore emitter, for example, and have two screws in place for added security.

If my answers frighten you then you should cease asking scary questions.

The Electrum Wind allows almost the full range of customisations offered by US – stunt, sound, Emerald, Emerald and sound... The choice is yours. You can’t get quick disconnects with it, so if colour changing on this hilt is important to you, then go for Emerald; Getting into the body and putting in quick disconnects yourself may theoretically be possible, but it seems like it’s a very tight squeeze.

In my case, I just wanted this in Violet Amethyst, to tie in with Windu’s hilt. I’m a canon hilt/colour collector – I have a green Consular, a blue Guardian, two red Menaces, and now a purple Electrum Wind. The Emerald driver on such hilts would be wasted on me.

You want my blood? Take my blood!

So, how does the Electrum Wind handle? Not too bad, all things considered. This isn’t a Liberator or a Sentinel, form-fitting hilts designed for relative simplicity. Nor is it a Manticore or Menace, more complex hilts whose stylistic foibles happen to neatly match my personal preferences. The grips make for a decent, er, grip, but may be less comfortable for those with smaller hands. The upper part of the hilt really needs to be gripped around the hashed section, as otherwise the raised golden parts will dig into your hands. That’s fine – most folks want the activation switch under their thumb, but it does stop you adjusting your grip in the same way you can on other hilts.

For comparison

It’s not an uncomfortable hilt for me to wield, but it’s unlikely to be a first choice for duelling.

In the name of the Galactic Senate of the Republic, you’re under arrest, Chancellor!

Menacing a corrupt, insidious politician? First choice.

Not buying one of the most dangerous and threatening lightsabres around?

I recognise the council has made a decision, but given that it's a stupid-ass decision, I've elected to ignore it.

I mean, it's not me saying it... Tongue

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -473

Either you like Star Wars... Or you're wrong.

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 10:33:44 PM »

This is a great review, JC. A lot of flare, and I, being a HUGE Samuel L. Jackson fan as many are (because he's an awesome actor!), particularly appreciated your tribute to him and his films throughout the review. The parts breakdown you did on it was also very informative. Have never done that on mine, but it's a great reference for any EW owner. Thanks for sharing that.

I have the rounded grips on mine, which made the girth overall a little easier to grip, I think, but I have large hands anyway and have often wondered if I should have gone with the chamfered grips - they sure look great on your EW.  

I like your philosophy of keeping canon sabers with the fitting color. My EW was the first Emerald Saber I purchased, but if I had to do it over, I'd have probably gone with just VA like you.  I've done single canon colors with my Graflex and Guardian, too, and fond of the idea the more I think about it. I also notice you went with a non illuminated AV switch. I did the same with my Graflex.  I think it's a great way to go with a canon saber.  I got a white illuminated AV switch on mine, but the straight silver one on yours looks fantastic.

Really enjoyed your approach on this review - it has style like Samuel L. Jackson has style - so appropriate for the Electrum Wind to be reviewed this way.  I think Ultra Sabers nailed it, and I'm proud to own one.  Good for you, buddy.  Point incoming...  Cheesy

My Top 3 Favorite Sabers: Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand and Shock LE

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 11:01:34 PM »

Great review. Of what I have used of the EW, my feelings on it are very similar. Jackson is a great actor, and I'm really glad that you added Frozone in there. You can't forget the best part about the Incredibles. Not my favorite saber, but a great one nonetheless. I too am a canon color with canon hilt kinda guy, and this saber definitely belongs in purple. It is a lot heavier than I anticipated, but with a HG blade, it balances out nicely. Again, great review, and LB already said just about everything there is to say about Samuel that you didn't, so I'll just give you a point.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2031

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 12:57:13 AM »

Nice. Loving the 2nd picture. Lolz XD That face be like, he got my lightsaber! Tongue You didn't include the movie where he was kind of psycho tricking that guy into being like him, where he always did that creepy whistling tune. I forget that movie though. not Lakeview Terrace but another one similar. Is your Electrum Wind nice and sturdy? there was a review where they said the shroud was kinda wobbly unless you put the screw all the way on tight much like the Bellicose x.x

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 03:09:38 AM »

Wonderful review JC I enjoyed each part of it.

Really appreciate all the nice pics (which look extra sharp btw) and the breakdown of the EW is super fun to see.

Points incoming.

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

CyberKyber
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: -432

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 12:00:28 AM »

Love this review, JC, especially the photo of the disassembled EW. The one issue that I have with your review is that it has switched my wishlist order from Consular, Guardian, Electrum Wind to Electrum Wind, Consular, Guardian. Quick question, you got it in VA, which is the canon colour, didn't you? Cos I've seen people mention that they prefer BH for Windu's color (which doesn't make much sense to me...). What do you think?

Points!!!

Lightsabers:
Counterfeit/Violent Darth Vader lightsaber (ROTJ look)- reaper emitter, warglaive body, T-grips, Heiland/MPP activation clamp -
Emerald driver + Obsidian V4 - Crimson red
Menace SE staff - BR
Chosen Once CE - Obs V4 Deep Red (custom)
Graflex SE - Obs V4 GB
Archon V3.1 - Obs V4 Viridian green (custom lime+cyan)
War glaive/reaper hybrid, raven style - Deep Red/FO
Custom Prophecy V3 (Anakin AotC) -Medium Blue (custom)
Dominix V3 LE - CG
Apprentice LE (with black grip) - VA
Aeon V3 - TRI GB
Dominix V2 - SD

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: