Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Overlord - Review  (Read 1567 times)
James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« on: February 21, 2017, 10:24:59 PM »

Ah, the Overlord...

You know how, sometimes, you see something that should be awesome – everything about it is cool, and then you put it all together and you just think... No.

Not to date myself, but I’m a child of the ‘80s, back in a time when everyone had a favourite supercar. You either went for...

...a Porche 911...

...a Ferrari F40...

...or a Lamborghini Countach.

Teenage boys in particular would invariably have a poster of one of the three on the wall – usually next to that picture of the tennis girl.

I was a Countach guy (pronounced koon-tash, incidentally; I was saying cown-tack for years) but I didn’t mind the 911, and indeed I briefly flirted with the idea of getting a Porsche recently, before realising that I’m not that deep into middle age. Yet.

The F40, though, left me cold – worse than cold, really. The ludicrous spoiler, the long, bulging bonnet, the low ground clearance... Even as a child, I thought it looked childish.

There are many other examples of design that don’t work for me, of course, but the F40 has held on. I just don’t get it, at all. You can, if you wish, buy an F40 for as little as £800,000 nowadays, but even if I won the lottery I’d buy almost any other car first. My opinion of it is now every bit as negative as when I was a child, trying to work out how anyone could favour it over the Countach.

Which, obviously, is a model of restraint and mature, sensible design

Fast forward a quarter century and, as I have done so many times over the last few years, I found myself browsing through the Ultrasabers website, looking at all the different hilts. It can take more than one viewing of a hilt to form an opinion on it. The Bane didn’t leap off the screen at me at first, after all, and nowadays I rhapsodise over it.

Still, the Overlord?

I’m sure everyone has their favourites when it comes to the US lineup. Whether it be the Bellicose, the Raven, the Renegade, the Bellicose, the Manticore, the Sentinel, the Bellicose... Everyone likes one or two hilts more than others (Bellicose).

You may, if you spend as much time browsing the site as I have, even form a gut reaction against certain hilts. I mean, I know when I saw the Catalysts with their weedy horned emitter and skinny choke grips, that I was never going to buy one. What possible use could I have for them, right?

And also into that category fell the Overlord. It was less easy to place my finger on what it was that I disliked about the hilt then it was with the Catalysts or, indeed, the F40. Ultimately, I think, I didn’t care for the fluted emitter, or the low-profile pommel.

And then I bought a Dark Catalyst, with the intent of cannibalising it and turning it into a different hilt all together. I bought a Dark Shock emitter and pommel and a Dark Arbiter choke to go with it, all to create the Marauder hilt.

And then I realised how nice Catalysts are, and I bought a second one because... Well, because they’re really nice to wield... and with that purchase, I didn’t get the extra light-sided pieces to make the Watchman counterpart to the Marauder hilt. I’d abandoned the idea because, ultimately, I preferred the Catalysts as they’re made by US.

But then, one day, while browsing the Ultrasabers website again I looked at the Overlord.

I still don’t like the emitter, I thought. And that pommel... Really?

And then an inner voice piped up...

Ah, but you have a spare emitter, and a spare pommel.

Yes, but-

Spare. Just... sitting around. Doing nothing. Wasted money.

Well, okay, but using the Dark Shock emitter and pommel on the Overlord? Why not just buy a Dark Shock and be done with it? (And spending even more money to justify buying those spare parts doesn’t make sense).

Well then, buy an Archon pommel. Think how nice that’ll look. (And shush).

Yes, but-

Think about. Just... think about it...

Listening to your inner voices can be healthy. Just... not to your bank balance.

One thing that surprised me slightly about the Overlord was the length of the hilt. It’s not Bane long, but longer than I was expecting nonetheless. Adding the extra length of the Archon pommel (the Overlord and Dark Shock emitters being much of a muchness) makes it that little bit longer. I don’t have a problem with longer hilts, of course, but I think I understand now why the Overlord has a low profile pommel; For most people, it’d probably be too long otherwise.

13 inches shall be the length. 17 shall be right out...

I find the Overlord to be a reasonably well-balanced hilt, not outstanding in its handling, but not so large or heavy that it throws movements off. The ridging of the hilt gives it a decent grip, particularly where the ridging is more intensive. I may never consider it to be a go-to hilt for duelling or spinning, but that’s not what I bought it for.

The Marauder hilt was based on the brutal, clubbing character I used to play on The Old Republic. He was a dual-wielder, but that was fine – I was going to make the Marauder hilt and then the light-side Watchman hilt to go with it (the Watchman being the Marauder’s light side counterpoint in TOR).

When that didn’t happen, I shifted gears. An Overlord with different pieces could still be a watchman’s hilt... with a yellow blade to suit the Sentinel class.

Like so.

The Overlord can have quick disconnects fitted, you can put the Emerald driver in it, or even get it in RGB. All good options, but I’m pretty well committed to the quick disconnects option now – I have LED and MLS units for every colour in the US rainbow, after all, and most of them have QDs fitted.

Still, I don’t swap the colours around that often. My Manticore has mainly stayed in silver, my Shock either purple or orange... My Bellicose gets changed around a fair bit, but there are no bad colours on that hilt. Even red looks good on it.

This modified Overlord, though, is likely to stay in yellow. It’s a sentinel’s blade – a watchman’s blade – and sets the wielder out as a seeker of truth and justice.

This isn’t the Watchman hilt I intended to build out of the Catalyst and other parts, but it’s not the Marauder, either. It’s still a light side hilt, even with the black finish (and the anodising matches thoughout, which was a slight concern).

It’s not even the final stage of this hilt. At some point in the next few months, it’s going to be sent off to Drahcir for some fairly thorough wear and weathering, with the intent that it end up looking like a relic, an Old Republic ‘sabre retrieved from an archaeological dig, but still functioning, still the weapon of a Jedi.

So, if not the Marauder, and not the Watchman, then what name to give this once it’s complete? Ultimately, I decided there could only be one choice:

Overwatch.

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

Hansrad
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -670

Jedi? Sith? I'm the one with the lightsaber.

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 10:43:40 PM »

Fantastic review and swap outs. Looks really nice like that. With the added silver it balances the appearance better.

Oh the Countach, so many dreams. I remember having a couple of posters. I'm usually a muscle car guy, but that one's always had a special place in my heart. If only I had a stupid amount of money. The 911 is nice too. The F40 is not one of my favorite Ferraris.

Own: Emerald Overlord, BHManticore, BR Renegade,FO Dominix LE V4 (stunt), CG Dominix LE V4 (stunt), GB Apprentice LE(stunt),BR Dark Initiate LE V4 (stunt), AS Apprentice LE V4 (stunt), CG Dominix V3 (stunt), SRD Darkish Liberator (stunt) Emerald Lost Grey.

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 11:03:43 PM »

Hi James.  This is a fantastic red and black eye pleasing review of the dark LE Overlord.  Gosh I wish that I had got this saber in the RGB version instead of the Shock one.  In fact I removed the Shock emitter from... well a silver Shock and put on an Overlord emitter and different pommels till I can score a small Renegade.  I would not have guessed that combo is my favorite saber.  It's got 2-ch Emerald settings and came with x2 QD's with FoC thanks to Hazard's tinkerings.  Grin

Now back to yours.  This to me with your lush presentation is drool worthy and I will certainly consider it.  The dark LE sabers are hands down my favorite and this is such a good example of why.  Perhaps not great for customization but super for MHS modifications.  Yours is a long beast now but I like it and already have the other ends.  But the EH first.  Smiley

Shmexy cars.  I actually like the DeLorean which is missing from your pics so the Lamb. will be my choice... and I got to go for a ride in one back in the day.  Love red cars with a passion so what did I do... got a white one... huh ?! don't know what happened there lol.  Likely was thinking of standing out and being targeted by our local officers.  However the woman that parks next to me has a sporty expensive red something.  She was so disappointed when she saw that I went Toyota boring and practical cus' I was thinking that a dog couldn't chew this up that badly... right ?!  I was hoping I could borrow hers and definitely will for some future Sithy photos.  Roll Eyes

Well deserved point.  Cool  Smiley

Akacen
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 64

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 11:33:24 PM »

Good read. Something to consider, surely.
+1

LS points please. ^.^

My Sabers:
Stunt: Initiate (CG), Catalyst (SRD), Mantis CE (AB), Aeon v2 (CG), Dark Apprentice v4 (BR), Dark Initiate v4 (CG), Apprentice LE v5 (AB), Sentinel LE v5 (AB, SRD), Aeon LE v5 (SRD), Arbiter (GB), Consular (CG), Spectre (FO)
Lite Sound: Catalyst (SRD), Sentinel LE V4 (AB)
V4 Sound: Aeon LE v4 (CG), Bellicose (FO), Lost Gray (SRD)
Emerald: Fulcrum

Wishlist: Grand Master LE (currently in cart), Savior, Brood Guard SE, Dorinian, Flamberge CE, Shock LE, Dark War Glaive, Guardian

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -473

Either you like Star Wars... Or you're wrong.

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 12:35:36 AM »

Hey thank you for the excellent presentation on your review of the Overlord. I've considered that one several times, as well as the Dark Arbiter, and appreciate the comparison to such fine automobiles. I felt the same way about the Arbiter and discovered many unique aspects about it only after I had purchased and had it in my possession. You have an artistic eye pairing a Dark Shock emitter with your Overlord.  I think it works soooooo well.    Shocked  Very well done review and point to you for the elegance you presented it with. I'm impressed  Smiley

This will be going completely the other way with cars, and don't intend to take this off topic, but my favorite car growing up was actually the Black Trans Am with the T shaped sun roof. The black and the gold accents really were cool to me - still are.

My Top 3 Favorite Sabers: Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand and Shock LE

Jediseth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 828

"If I told you, you wouldn't like it." Han Solo

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 01:04:23 AM »

Hey thank you for the excellent presentation on your review of the Overlord. I've considered that one several times, as well as the Dark Arbiter, and appreciate the comparison to such fine automobiles. I felt the same way about the Arbiter and discovered many unique aspects about it only after I had purchased and had it in my possession. You have an artistic eye pairing a Dark Shock emitter with your Overlord.  I think it works soooooo well.    Shocked  Very well done review and point to you for the elegance you presented it with. I'm impressed  Smiley

This will be going completely the other way with cars, and don't intend to take this off topic, but my favorite car growing up was actually the Black Trans Am with the T shaped sun roof. The black and the gold accents really were cool to me - still are.

Oh the Bandit! I saw that car a couple years ago at the Buffalo Bill art Museum in Cody WY . Love that car! I had a red Lamborghini Countach poster in Jr. high in my locker. Loved that car too. Now I'm liking the Overlord, great review and great pics. +1

Guardian : GB, FOC Red, V4, 11-15                        Reaper: V4, BR, 4-17
Chosen One CE : Emerald, V4, 12-15
Consular: Emerald V4, 1-16
Manticore: BR, FOC Orange, QD, V4, 11-16
Monarch: Emerald, V4, 2016 Autumn Raffle -1st
Arbiter: V4, SD, Silver FOC, QD, 3-17
Archon V2.1, Diamond, 4-17

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 01:22:49 AM »

Once again, you're review has done it. To be honest, the Overlord never really stood out to me until recently. Same with the Liberator. Now, however, they are both beautiful hilts, and I really want them. Lots of points to you for all these reviews.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2027

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 06:16:18 PM »

Nice. Never even thought to put my Dark Shock emitter on my Overlord Tongue I want to keep mine as is though since its Jedi side for me. Yours looks sick though. Yellow could go either way I think such as purple blades

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG,
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: