Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Monarch - Review  (Read 742 times)
James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« on: February 21, 2017, 10:33:25 PM »

So... a Monarch, eh?

This nickel-plated Monarch was my prize in one of the summer raffles last year, when I bought my Overlord. It was my favourite kind of prize – something I never would have chosen myself, so it gave me the chance to try out something completely new.

I like the appearance of the Monarch. It has flowing lines with definite flair, and an organic feel you don’t typically get with worked metal, and certainly not with lightsabres.

In spite of that, it wasn’t a hilt I’d likely ever have chosen. Those few reviews of the hilt have tended to pick up on the size of the upper bulb making it difficult to grip, which I think is a fair comment. This is going to be more of a ‘show’ than a ‘go’ for a lot of people.

Once I had it in hand, though, I realised that the Monarch wasn’t at all an uncomfortable hilt – for me, at least. The curve of the upper part of the hilt fits nicely into the palm of my hand, and it’s not so bulbous that it’s difficult to keep a grip on.

Part of this, to be clear, is likely because I have pretty big hands. While this – sadly – does not help me when playing the guitar, I do have a pretty big handspan and that seems to make the Monarch sit more comfortably in my hands.

The nickel finish looks great, as it generally does when applied across the whole body of a hilt. I also have the nickel finish on my Guardian, and think it works best that way, rather than just as a highlight feature the way it’s applied to the Consular shroud, for example.

I don’t know if I’ll change anyone else’s mind about the Monarch, as it’s such a different design to anything else out there. Still, should anyone be thinking about a Monarch, I have a feeling it’d look pretty amazing as the top of a sceptre.

Throw a Yari or two on there, and you have something as regal as the name suggests.

Nickel and black may not be the most convincing combination to sell that idea

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 01:11:48 AM »

Very nice review. The Monarch is one I am definitely starting to look at more, still not super high on my wishlist, but it's on there.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -473

Either you like Star Wars... Or you're wrong.

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 02:02:08 AM »

It's such a majestic looking hilt. Atop the sceptre it looks like there should be a giant flame coming out of the emitter. Spectacular. I'll get every hilt in the Nickel finish if I can. I adore it dearly. My Guardian, my Consular and my Manticore CE. So yeah, the Monarch with a nickel finish is gorgeous. I've got large hands, too, so I've been feeling right at home with these larger hilts. Thanks for the insight on yours and looking forward to maybe getting one in the not too distant future.

My Top 3 Favorite Sabers: Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand and Shock LE

Prowl 1701
Mentor of the Prophecy Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 830

We're all just dreams in the end...

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 03:59:12 AM »

"I like the appearance of the Monarch."

*spits out drink all over monitor*

wh-wh-WHAT?!

j/k, good to see you getting some more reviews out, James.  Hope you are doing well. 

Actually the Monarch does look nice on a Yari extention, very regal looking, like it would belong on palace guards for ceremonial purposes.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: