Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Manticore CE - Review  (Read 1060 times)
James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« on: February 21, 2017, 10:54:56 PM »

I do like Manticores. They feel great in your hand, look fantastic, and have that glorious emitter that remains one of my favourite parts of any hilt.

Several years back I picked up a standard Manticore, and I was delighted with it. I found it comfortable, loved its looks, and time and again I found myself picking it up and admiring it.

Then US came out with the Manticore CE, a plain silver version of the hilt, and I admit that I had my head turned. Plain silver hilts do appeal to me – Aeons, Sentinels, Standard Issues, Prophecies... And I like having silver blades on them – my Standard Issue and Sentinel were both ordered with silver blades, as was my original Manticore.

When US released the Electrum Wind, they did so in tandem with an offer to spend above a certain amount and receive a free grab bag, among other offers. Well, as I happened to be fairly flush right then, as I wanted an Electrum Wind, and as I’m a sucker for free stuff, I went for it.

My Manticore CE has an Adegan Silver blade with an Arctic Blue flash, a non-illuminated silver AV switch and quick disconnects. The AV switch was the main difference from my other Manticore, as the non-illuminated ones are only a modest premium in comparison to the illuminated ones. Almost all of my ‘sabres have that option nowadays. I generally prefer it to illuminated switches in any case; While you can make a case for red (canonically) or silver illumination, I’d generally find it a bit annoying to have a non-matching blade/switch combination.

Quick disconnects, of course, mean that you can swap the MLS units around quickly and easily. While most of my hilts tend to stay fairly unchanged in their colour, I like having the option to switch things up, and as the Manticore is a non-canon hilt I’m more likely to swap things around.

In other reviews I’ve spoken about blade length, and how I prefer the shorter 32” blades. That preference is heavily informed by the Manticore, as the slight narrowing of the hilt just below the emitter, coupled with the flares base of the emitter, makes for a gripping point that’s spot on.

Your hand size may vary.

In fact, spot on is about as pithy and accurate a description of the Manticore as you’ll find. It’s very good, very, very good, excellent, even. I could even say perfect, but, well, the Bellicose exists... What I can say is that the Manticore is near perfectly balanced, neither too heavy nor too light, has the glorious emitter, looks sleek-yet-menacing and suits any blade colour. I am, as you may have gathered, a fan.

The Manticore is twin-MHS compatible, so if you want to change the emitter or pommel, you can. Some do – the Catalyst pommel works beautifully to elongate the Manticore if you want a couple of extra inches in length, and I guess if you don’t like windows then you may like a Shock emitter or similar.

But...

Look, just leave it as is, okay? You won’t improve the Mona Lisa by scribbling a moustache on it with a marker pen. Mount Rushmore does just fine with four heads. Stonehenge is just dandy without a gift shop in the middle.

The Manticore CE is essentially (almost, it's not a Bellicose) perfect.

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

Lord Japarco
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 479

Keep your concentration here and now,...

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 11:38:32 PM »

Great review, thanks for sharing your opinion on this hilt, as I have it as a posible next saber (but the standard version)...+1

http://s1074.photobucket.com/user/Japarco/media/Sentinel%20V4/ffc14996-49bb-425b-9122-f4cd848e3103_zpszdtmyzgk.jpg.html
My Lightsabers:
Sentinel V4 - Tri Consular Green - Obsidian V4
The Guardian - Guardian Blue - Silver Flash on Clash - Obsidian V3 (2nd Summer Raffle 2016 2nd Place Prize)
Wife's Lightsaber: Prophecy V3 - Arctic Blue - Obsidian V3

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 01:18:41 AM »

The Manticore is definitely high on my list. Especially the Manticore CE. Great review. Someday I will get a saber, and do a review on it too, but until then I will just sit here and enjoy yours.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -473

Either you like Star Wars... Or you're wrong.

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 01:19:42 AM »

I love this place and reading reviews like this, another excellent entry that we've been treated with by you today  Smiley, feels like being a member of a club, a group of folks that appreciate the finer things in the galaxy, like well crafted lightsabers from Ultra Sabers. Your review was actually spot on IMO, and I feel the same way you do about its near perfection. I have the Manticore CE nickel plated version myself and especially enjoy using the quick disconnects, as it so capably "adopts" any color you pair with it. Currently mine has Tri Blazing Red, but I think I like it best with Sun Riders destiny, Tri Fire Orange or Bane's Heart. Your presentation once again does great honor to this hilt. Anyone who sees this will most certainly be drawn to the Manticore.  Point to you, buddy.

My Top 3 Favorite Sabers: Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand and Shock LE

Prowl 1701
Mentor of the Prophecy Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 830

We're all just dreams in the end...

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 04:03:00 AM »

Another nice review, James.  The Manticore has one of the best emitters IMO.  I miss my original one and may have to replace it eventually.  Not the best grip to me but a great show piece.

MavRick
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 600

May the force be with you! (give light side )

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 09:47:53 PM »

Another excellent review James, as always.  Grin

Sabers I own:                                           
 Graflex Tri-cree AB w/sd & bronze buttons
 Consular CG w/sd an silver foc
 Archon CG w/sd an silver foc
 Prophecy CG w/sd an silver foc
 Dorinian SRD w/lite sd and AB foc
 Guardian in GB
 Aeon V3 in GB
 Dark Standard Issue BR w/vert grooves
 Dark Apprentice AB (Freebee!)
 Sentinel LE V4 w/windows in SY
 Dark Sentinel LE V5 in AB (raffle prize)
 Initiate LE V4 in GB
 Franken saber in VA
Wish list: Dark Prophecy BR w/sd, dark cat pommel; Azure Enigma AB; Exile CG w/sd; Dominix LE V2 in BR gift for a friend

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: