Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Dark Prophecy V3 Obsidian V4 Review  (Read 2269 times)
MaestroZee
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 4

« on: February 22, 2017, 03:46:45 AM »

Hello all!

As my first thread post on here I figured I would review my first saber.

First of all, I ordered this saber on 2/3/17. I had the saber in my hand on 2/9/17. Excellent turnaround time! It was very securely packaged and I was not concerned at all if the mail man could have damaged it.

I really wanted a saber with an angled emitter. This hilt fits the bill. It is one of the shorter hilt lengths, which is good for those of us who have smaller hands. Simply put, the saber feels great. In fact, I ordered a second (will review that one when it comes in). The body of the saber is sleek and I saw no imperfections on it.

Now let's get into the technicals. I REALLY like the sound output from the speaker. The amount of light that the LEDs put out lights up an entire room. My ONLY complaint is that you can get a recharge port in a stunt saber, and an obsidian V3/4 saber, but not in an obsidian lite saber. I don't know why that is, but it heavily influenced my decision to upgrade to the premium sound option. I really like being able to plug the blade in to charge rather than popping the battery housing out every time. I haven't explored the reprogrammable sound fount but I like the option.

The cost of the saber was very palatable to me. I looked at some of the other guys' options, and while they had some extra bells and whistles, you definitely pay a premium for them.

My video goes into more depth.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmJuWnwztTg" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmJuWnwztTg</a>
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 02:28:17 PM by Admiral Snackbar » Logged

Saber Armory - In order of purchase
Dark Prophecy V3 (BR) Obsidian V4
Dark Prophecy V3 (AV) Obsidian V4
Dark Initiate V2 (GB) Stunt
Dark Initiate LE V4 (FO) Stunt
(Other Guys) Sinister Prophecy (MG) Champion Crimson
Electrum Wind (BH) Obsidian V4

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -473

Either you like Star Wars... Or you're wrong.

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 05:26:05 AM »

Thanks for the review and welcome, MZ!  I have the Dark Prophecy myself and like you really appreciate the way it feels in the hands, the grip, the loud Obsidian V4 sound and the durability. The Prophecy is a well loved saber around these parts, and I think you made a great choice. It's so much fun to buy one at a Comic Con as well, where I got my first one, the Consular. Glad you're enjoying it. Ultra Sabers has, as they say, all the right stuff, and you'll enjoy deciding which one you want to get next. It's a very happy addiction to have.  Also, just curious, which size blade did you decide to go with, 32 inch or 36 inch? I started with 36 inch myself, and have started to like the 32 inch length better these days.

We like to award Force appreciation points, and they can be dark side or light side. I'm guessing you might lean towards the dark side? Let us know which you'd prefer, and I'd be glad to give you a Force point.

My Top 3 Favorite Sabers: Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand and Shock LE

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 05:39:47 AM »

Great review. The Prophecy hilts are some of the highest on my wishlist. I can't wait to get one.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

kaanapuchris
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -53

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 11:00:32 AM »

Some pro tips from a fellow prophecy owner
1) put little o rings under your dials if you want to keep them on. These keep them from loosening with or without a blade in

2) thread your holes on the upper choke section to be a 3rd blade retention and a led retention

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CyberKyber
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: -432

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 11:39:12 AM »

1) put little o rings under your dials if you want to keep them on. These keep them from loosening with or without a blade in

2) thread your holes on the upper choke section to be a 3rd blade retention and a led retention

Oooh! Never thought about threading the holes of the prophecy, that would look awesome on a mini vader saber! Have a point for that XD

Lightsabers:
Counterfeit/Violent Darth Vader lightsaber (ROTJ look)- reaper emitter, warglaive body, T-grips, Heiland/MPP activation clamp -
Emerald driver + Obsidian V4 - Crimson red
Menace SE staff - BR
Chosen Once CE - Obs V4 Deep Red (custom)
Graflex SE - Obs V4 GB
Archon V3.1 - Obs V4 Viridian green (custom lime+cyan)
War glaive/reaper hybrid, raven style - Deep Red/FO
Custom Prophecy V3 (Anakin AotC) -Medium Blue (custom)
Dominix V3 LE - CG
Apprentice LE (with black grip) - VA
Aeon V3 - TRI GB
Dominix V2 - SD

MaestroZee
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 4

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 02:36:20 AM »

@Lord Bladewraith Dark Side and Light Side equally if possible! I decided to go with the 32" blade due to my short stature. I also ordered 24" blades for my other dark prophecy (yes I have two now) so that I could have a shortened offhand weapon and/or link them together for a double bladed saber. Hope noone picks on the fact that my two blades are different colors.

@Taegin Roan Thanks! I used to be a product manager for a hobby game store plus I teach public school now so maybe that's helping my review-fu.

@CyberKyber I will definitely do this with the o-rings. I was already concerned that the screws would fall off and disappear into the ground. As for threading the holes...how do I do that?

Saber Armory - In order of purchase
Dark Prophecy V3 (BR) Obsidian V4
Dark Prophecy V3 (AV) Obsidian V4
Dark Initiate V2 (GB) Stunt
Dark Initiate LE V4 (FO) Stunt
(Other Guys) Sinister Prophecy (MG) Champion Crimson
Electrum Wind (BH) Obsidian V4

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2031

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 04:34:39 AM »

Nice. made me want a Prophecy even more Tongue i expect it'll fit my small hands so probably wont be a problem for me. Might cut out a window in the back of the emitter though if I can

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Isola815
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 594

"Most Redacted"

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 09:31:34 AM »

Thanks for the review! Soooo many happy Prophecy people lately making me even more of an oddball LOL

I swear I need to get another Prophecy and build one how I think it should come out of the shop.

Also... is that what the recharge ports look like on anything without a shroud? I was toying with the idea of one on the EH after seeing the one on LB's Guardian... but... looking at retention nut  Embarrassed Undecided Now I'm not sure.

kaanapuchris
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -53

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 11:28:22 AM »

@Lord Bladewraith Dark Side and Light Side equally if possible! I decided to go with the 32" blade due to my short stature. I also ordered 24" blades for my other dark prophecy (yes I have two now) so that I could have a shortened offhand weapon and/or link them together for a double bladed saber. Hope noone picks on the fact that my two blades are different colors.

@Taegin Roan Thanks! I used to be a product manager for a hobby game store plus I teach public school now so maybe that's helping my review-fu.

@CyberKyber I will definitely do this with the o-rings. I was already concerned that the screws would fall off and disappear into the ground. As for threading the holes...how do I do that?
Tap set. 8/32 thread

Seano
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: -229

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 01:11:43 PM »

Great idea, re: the o-rings! I've also noticed the dials loosen quite easily.
As for the holes, I actually quite like them - I've customised both my Prophecy and Dark Prophecy, and during the process removed all the glue from around the A/V switch, which I believe has allowed the LED module to move slightly further down the hilt, and now the light shines out of both of them!

Ramse Moade the Grey

Current Sabres - Graflex SE in GB & Obsidian V3, Shock in TRI BR (QD's) & Obsidian V3, Customised Dorinian with Diamond Controller, Dark Catalyst in Adegan Silver with Arctic Blue FOC and Obsidian V3 (Customisation WIP)

BatMike90
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -793

Dark (Knight) Side Points.

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 05:28:43 PM »

Very nice review. Great choice with the Dark Prophecy. It is an amazing hilt, so much so that I have 5 of them!

Arsenel:
RGBW DIAMOND: Archon v3.1 / Dominicide / Graflex SE /  Guardian
V4 SOUND : Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Emperor's Hand
STUNT: Aeon v4 / Bellicose / Dark Apprentice v4 (x2) / Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Phantom Initiate V4 / Prophecy v3 / Renegade LE / Scorpion (x2)
Star Wars Cosplay Alias:
Merik Wolfe (Jedi Knight) / Darth Marcotus (Sith Warrior)
BatMike90's Soundfonts

Prowl 1701
Mentor of the Prophecy Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 830

We're all just dreams in the end...

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2017, 05:52:11 AM »

Always nice to see another Prophecy fan, it's my favorite US hilt. Glad you are enjoying the saber!

MavRick
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 603

May the force be with you! (give light side )

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2017, 03:12:33 PM »

I agree with Prowl 100% . Love my Prophecy!! Ultra Sabers are awesome and the only light sabers I will ever buy.

Sabers I own:                                           
 Graflex Tri-cree AB w/sd & bronze buttons
 Consular CG w/sd an silver foc
 Archon CG w/sd an silver foc
 Prophecy CG w/sd an silver foc
 Dorinian SRD w/lite sd and AB foc
 Guardian in GB
 Aeon V3 in GB
 Dark Standard Issue BR w/vert grooves
 Dark Apprentice AB (Freebee!)
 Sentinel LE V4 w/windows in SY
 Dark Sentinel LE V5 in AB (raffle prize)
 Initiate LE V4 in GB
 Franken saber in VA
Wish list: Dark Prophecy BR w/sd, dark cat pommel;
Ordered: Exile CG w/sd; Dominix LE V2 in BR gift for a friend

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: