Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Dueling question  (Read 983 times)
Ganaa
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: -26

« on: February 23, 2017, 02:37:33 PM »

So I am getting my first saber today. One of my friends down the hall (college campus) has a few sabers from the "other guys".
I ordered mine with a mid-grade UE for light dueling and spinning. My understanding is that his blade is comparable to a Heavy Grade from US.
if so, can we still duel, albeit light contact, without my blade breaking within the first day? Would light choreography work as well?

I understand all blades break with use, but I'd rather not have to replace it immediately if that makes sense.
Thanks!

*give me Darkside points*

I may be Sith, but that does not make one a murderer, nor a barbarian.
Seek the knowledge of the Dark Side, bend it to your will, utilize the strength of your passion, but not be enslaved to it.
to be enslaved is the way of the undisciplined apprentice, but you desire to be a master.
Remember the goal of the Sith creed: "The Force Shall Free Me"

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 04:13:39 PM »

I would suggest light to medium contact rather than full on contact. Also, if you are thinking of choreographing a fight break the whole fight down into bitesize parts consisting of 3 or 4 moves each. That way you both know what will happen when you go full speed and won't accidentally hit a blade too hard during the actual fight.

Alternatively, if you're a Sith, just ambush him when he comes out of his room and claim his hilts as your prize!  Grin

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 09:49:37 PM »

Yes, you can. I have done some light dueling as well, but I would've gone harder if it weren't for the fact that my brother was using the ForceFX Maul replica. But don't worry about it. The blade will hold up just fine. I would consider getting a HG blade if you plan to continue dueling, and especially if you want to full on beat each other up.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

MavRick
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 600

May the force be with you! (give light side )

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 10:35:38 PM »

I can tell you from personal experience that an Ultra Sabers mid-grade blade will take a beating and keep on going, even against heavy grade blades. I use them on most of my sabers.  Smiley

Sabers I own:                                           
 Graflex Tri-cree AB w/sd & bronze buttons
 Consular CG w/sd an silver foc
 Archon CG w/sd an silver foc
 Prophecy CG w/sd an silver foc
 Dorinian SRD w/lite sd and AB foc
 Guardian in GB
 Aeon V3 in GB
 Dark Standard Issue BR w/vert grooves
 Dark Apprentice AB (Freebee!)
 Sentinel LE V4 w/windows in SY
 Dark Sentinel LE V5 in AB (raffle prize)
 Initiate LE V4 in GB
 Franken saber in VA
Wish list: Dark Prophecy BR w/sd, dark cat pommel; Azure Dorinian AB; Dominix LE V2 in BR gift for a friend

Vivectius
Dark Liberator of Lost Posts
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -719

I always feel like he’s judging my posts.

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 12:13:15 AM »

Short of deliberately trying to break them, the blades will hold up.  

Usually what happens when a mid grade gets hit too hard is it will bend (and stay bent), or the blade film will crease and wrinkle, or both.

If you really want to give him a good solid whack though, get a heavy grade blade.

You only live once. Wrong.
You only die once.  You live every moment of your life.
The question is, are you alive, and living your life? Or just here, and watching your life go by?
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to death
 Nor known to life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet those hands will never hold anything
 So, as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works.

firehand10k
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 388

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 05:16:57 PM »

I fueled a friend who thought his saber was supposed to swing like a baseball bat to work. He had a 24 inch heavy grade blade and I use two 36 inch mid-grade blades. They both held up fine even when I smacked him at high speed to demonstrate how much more effective control works. They didn't take any damage from his blade or his skull.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

Morgoth136
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: -44

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 12:58:49 PM »

It is hard to tell exactly how well they stack up  with blades from the other guys but the mids hold up pretty well against thicker blades unless you are fighting reeeeally hard or using a spear and you are in a saber lock. That is how I broke a blade twice. The other blade we broke was kind of a freak  accident with a heavy 24. My best advice is get a heavy grab bag blade or two. Just remember to request what length you need.

"The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural. "

check out my lightsaber dueling group, the scions of the balance
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvTovNQK2fuAfSE6J46K0rg

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: