Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: aluminum for hilts  (Read 2390 times)
Aayrick
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 25

« on: February 23, 2017, 11:06:25 PM »

So, I'm trying to find out what dimensions I should be looking at if I want to make a custom hilt myself.  It looks like most places use t6-6061 aluminum pipe or tube, around 1.5 in outer diameter (at least, that's what it seems like reading descriptions).  What would the recommended inner diameter and wall thickness be?  I was  looking at https://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?id=71&step=2&top_cat=60 to order from, but I'm not sure which would be the best choice.  This is going to be for a set of shoto tonfas, ideally similar size to most MHS compatible stuff.

Sentinel (staff) V4 Stunt w/Adegan Silver and Arctic Blue
Aeon V4, Obsidian lite w/Arctic Blue, flash silver on clash
Standard Issue Battle Saber w/Arctic Blue (from grab bag)

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 11:16:01 PM »

MHSV1 compatible parts have an inner diameter of 1.25".  You can, of course, go slightly smaller, but you're going to have a harder time fitting electronics inside something too much smaller.  This number isn't necessarily consistent throughout.  Ultra Sabers hilts that don't have removable emitters have enough space that's got an ID of 1.25 inches for the electronics, then the ID goes down to around an inch.  This allows features like deeper cut details, such as the deep choke points on the Aeons, Sentinel, Prophecy, etc.  All emitters, removable MHS or fixed, have an ID of 1 inch, or just a hair over, to fit the blade.

Anyway, I hope that helps. You can, of course, do whatever you want, but you probably want to plan out your electronics ahead of time, to ensure you don't run out of space.

Jediseth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 828

"If I told you, you wouldn't like it." Han Solo

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 11:16:16 PM »

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=4779.msg60014#msg60014

This might be helpful.

Guardian : GB, FOC Red, V4, 11-15                        Reaper: V4, BR, 4-17
Chosen One CE : Emerald, V4, 12-15
Consular: Emerald V4, 1-16
Manticore: BR, FOC Orange, QD, V4, 11-16
Monarch: Emerald, V4, 2016 Autumn Raffle -1st
Arbiter: V4, SD, Silver FOC, QD, 3-17
Archon V2.1, Diamond, 4-17

Aayrick
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 25

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 11:45:22 PM »

scifidude79 - thanks for the input on the ID and info on the innards and definitely a good tip about pre-measuring for the electronics. 

Jediseth - thanks for reminding me about that thread.  I'd been looking at the stats listed on various sites for saber hilt sizes and had forgotten about this particular thread. 

Sentinel (staff) V4 Stunt w/Adegan Silver and Arctic Blue
Aeon V4, Obsidian lite w/Arctic Blue, flash silver on clash
Standard Issue Battle Saber w/Arctic Blue (from grab bag)

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 01:24:08 AM »

No problem.  One thing I love about US is how easy they make it to find specs on their hilts.  It makes things easier to plan.  Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: