Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: About to order my first US. I have some questions  (Read 6075 times)
Darth Sneaky
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: February 24, 2017, 03:49:23 PM »

Hello, my name is Scott and I am new to the forum. I am looking to purchase my first saber ever and am having trouble with some of the options. First, is the Tri-Cree LEDs worth losing the FoC option? If I do get the Tri-Cree LEDs, is it possible to get other Tri-Cree colors that are MHS? Also, is there a way to get pulse without getting the Emerald tier saber? I can't afford to spend $500 on my first saber, so I have to be smart about ordering. Any advice?

DarthBoneTD
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -841

High Sith Kommander

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 04:24:43 PM »

Hello and welcome to the greatest hobby (aka: addiction) in the galaxy, Let me see if I can answer your questions. You will find everyone here very helpful and friendly. Please look around the forum and use the search function to help guide you through your journey of purchasing your first (of many, hopefully) saber.

1. Tri-Cree- This is a matter of personal preference, I personally love FoC with sound. I think the color is great. Tri-Cree is a slightly brighter fuller blade especially in certain colors. I'll sacrifice the brightness for flash any day, especially with the current $10 FoC deal. The Tri-Cree is only available in the colors listed, no secert colors (at least that's what I was told a year and half ago when I was ordering my first saber).

2. Pulse Mode- Another excellent feature, is only available with the emerald driver which while not as impressive is also on special.

If you know what hilt(s) you like and give us your ballpark budget$$$ and what options you like, there are plenty of members who can help you get the most bang for your buck.

Happy saber hunting,
DBTD

Lord of a 1000 sabers. Well almost!

Arsenal: Lots (35 Ultra Sabers)
Most Wanted: That one, oh yeah that one too, oh hell all of them.

Darth Sneaky
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 05:06:42 PM »

Thanks for the great advice (I gave LS points to you)! Well, my budget is probably $250-300 for my first saber. I love the Mantacore CE with the nickel-plated finish. I definitely want sound and light (guardian blue). It would probably be used for spinning and cosplay, as well as a show piece. I doubt I would find anyone else around here with a lightsaber to duel with (lol).

Thanks again,
Darth Sneaky

bigBear
Council Elder of Shenanigans
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1538

a true warrior fights to protect

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 05:17:13 PM »

for about $300 I'd suggest obsidian lite for a sound option and go with foc. you might puch a little over your budget but the free shipping will lighten that load and still have a great saber.

who's scruffy looking?
own: Dominix V4 GB, Sentinel V4 sunrider's, Aprentice LE V4 VA X2 (staff). Liberator SY, dark SI AB, dark initiate LE CG, dark initiate BR, dark apprentice LE AS and FO stunts. dark Sentinel LE in FO OB lite sound Malice w/ V4 sound, Emerald. Crimson curved Reaper AS OB lite. Diamond Raven, Chosen One V4 sound, emerald, Consular CG, V4 sound.

Faith Caine
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 102

Light side points, please.

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 06:47:35 PM »

Hello there and welcome. To further aid what Big Bear said, I have the Aeon LE v4 in Guardian Blue with Obs lite sound card and foc in silver and everytime I turn it on when it has batteries in it, it attracts PLENTY of attention. For a budget friendly sound card, the Obs lite is perfect, you can't go wrong. I hope this helps you in making your decision.

"This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as a blaster. An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age. " Obi-Wan Kenobi

Armory:
Aeon LE v4 in Guardian Blue Upgraded to Obsidian LITE Sound W/ FoC in Silver
Catalyst in DVA
Arbiter in GB Obs v4
Apprentice LE v4 in FO
Dark Liberator v3 in Tri-FO

DarthBoneTD
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -841

High Sith Kommander

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 08:38:36 PM »

This is the Obs Lite setup/ Most cost effective.

Item Details
Item Name:   Manticore CE with Obsidian Lite Sound
Item Price:   $280.00
Options:
Blade LED Color:Guardian Blue
Flash on Clash:Flash Red (EMPEROR'S DEALS)
Obsidian Lite Battery Configuration:Standard Setup
Blade Length:36" Standard Size
Blade Option:UltraEdge Midgrade
Hilt Finish:Nickel Plated Finish
Obsidian Lite Sound:Obsidian Lite Soundboard
Pommel Version:Low Profile
Quick Disconnect:Nope.
Switch Type:Silver Non-Illuminated AV Switch
Blade Tip:Round Tip
Include Retention Screw Wrench:Yes +$1.00
Include Blade Plug:No Thanks
Include Saber Stand:No Thanks
Include Covertec Clip:No Thanks
Install Covertec Wheel:No Thanks

I would sacrifice the nickel finish and get the following for $299, if you want the Nickel add $30 or go with Obs Lite:
I like the Li-ion setup so this is what I would go with

Whatever FoC you want, I just went w/red, since no dueling go UEMG. You totally want the V4 soundboard, you get 7 different fonts on the fly and the mute font is worth $10 alone (sometimes you just don't want sound), and Li-ion setup.

Item Detail
Item Name:   Manticore CE with Obsidian Premium Sound
Item Price:   $300.00
Options:
Battery Configuration:Li-Ion Setup with BuckPuck (Batteries & XTAR VC2 Plus Charger Included) (EMPEROR'S DEALS)
Recharge Port:No Recharge Port
Hilt Finish:High Polish Silver Finish
Sound:Obsidian USB V4 Sound! [V4
Include Retention Screw Wrench:Yes [add $1.00]
Include MINI USB Cable:No Thanks

Whatever you do, definitely take advantage of free shipping and $10 FoC, that adds up to around a $55 savings.

Good luck and enjoy.

Lord of a 1000 sabers. Well almost!

Arsenal: Lots (35 Ultra Sabers)
Most Wanted: That one, oh yeah that one too, oh hell all of them.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 10:12:24 PM »

Welcome. Since I do not have FoC or TRI-Cree, I cannot comment on either. But to me I don't really care about FoC, and probably would go for the brighter blade. Also, from what I've seen, I don't care for the UE blades. They're not bad, but I prefer regular ones.

Again, welcome.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Jediseth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 828

"If I told you, you wouldn't like it." Han Solo

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 10:22:27 PM »

Welcome. Since I do not have FoC or TRI-Cree, I cannot comment on either. But to me I don't really care about FoC, and probably would go for the brighter blade. Also, from what I've seen, I don't care for the UE blades. They're not bad, but I prefer regular ones.

Again, welcome.

Wow, I completely think the opposite of you. I agree with DarthBone FOC all the way.  Tri cree just isn't that much better to loose FOC.  Maybe if you ever had it you would feel differently Taegin. I have both and that's what I think.  

Guardian : GB, FOC Red, V4, 11-15                        Reaper: V4, BR, 4-17
Chosen One CE : Emerald, V4, 12-15
Consular: Emerald V4, 1-16
Manticore: BR, FOC Orange, QD, V4, 11-16
Monarch: Emerald, V4, 2016 Autumn Raffle -1st
Arbiter: V4, SD, Silver FOC, QD, 3-17
Archon V2.1, Diamond, 4-17

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 10:34:09 PM »

Wow, I completely think the opposite of you. I agree with DarthBone FOC all the way.  Tri cree just isn't that much better to loose FOC.  Maybe if you ever had it you would feel differently Taegin. I have both and that's what I think.  

Maybe, and when I get my Emerald saber, I will try it out, but right now, it just doesn't do it for me.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Vivectius
Dark Liberator of Lost Posts
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -719

I always feel like he’s judging my posts.

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2017, 04:38:10 PM »

I vote AGAINST both Obsidian Lite and FoC. 

The Lite sound card is a fixed set of sounds at a fixed volume (which is LOUD).  Get at least the Obsidian v3 to be able to adjust the sound.  Also the Lite sound card eats batteries like crazy.

FoC has never done anything for me.  I have it on one saber that I won as a raffle prize and it's just not anything special to me.  I don't dislike it, I just wouldn't choose to get it (I don't object to getting it as part of the raffle prize though   Wink).

Tri-Cree makes more of a difference on the Red and Orange colors, and for the Archon 3.1 hilt.  Since you're going Blue, you don't really need it.  The brightness difference in the Blues and Greens just isn't that great.

I love the Mantacore CE with the nickel-plated finish. I definitely want sound and light (guardian blue). It would probably be used for spinning and cosplay, as well as a show piece. I doubt I would find anyone else around here with a lightsaber to duel with (lol). 

The Manticore is a very popular hilt, both for spinning and dueling.  So, with my above opinions in mind, you can get a Manticore CE with Obsidian v4 sound, with FoC, for about $289, which also qualifies you for free shipping. I know I said I don't like FoC, but if you're not going to get Tri-Cree, now's a good time to get it. And the v4 sound is only $10 more than the v3 and gives you A LOT more options, and is well worth it.

Finally, for dueling, it depends on where you are.  Check out the Saber Combat forum, there are a couple of threads for finding sparring partners.

You only live once. Wrong.
You only die once.  You live every moment of your life.
The question is, are you alive, and living your life? Or just here, and watching your life go by?
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to death
 Nor known to life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet those hands will never hold anything
 So, as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works.

Lord Raváge
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1453

Ki tsimsima tuti mazo Galactic, Nu qorit dudnims!

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2017, 10:57:45 AM »

Labintias sulig tave Jen' Garthaz iv SoCal, bustas iv tave Tsis!!! Cool
(Greetings from the Dark Side of SoCal, domicile of the Sith)

Galez Akuyi Buti Su J'us!
(May The Force Be With You!)

JayMeezy
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -17

Darkside points

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2017, 06:59:33 PM »

I would sacrifice the nickel finish and get the following for $299,
I like the Li-ion setup so this is what I would go with

Whatever FoC you want, I just went w/red, since no dueling go UEMG. You totally want the V4 soundboard, you get 7 different fonts on the fly and the mute font is worth $10 alone (sometimes you just don't want sound), and Li-ion setup.

Item Detail
Item Name:   Manticore CE with Obsidian Premium Sound
Item Price:   $300.00
Options:
Battery Configuration:Li-Ion Setup with BuckPuck (Batteries & XTAR VC2 Plus Charger Included) (EMPEROR'S DEALS)
Recharge Port:No Recharge Port
Hilt Finish:High Polish Silver Finish
Sound:Obsidian USB V4 Sound! [V4
Include Retention Screw Wrench:Yes [add $1.00]
Include MINI USB Cable:No Thanks

Whatever you do, definitely take advantage of free shipping and $10 FoC, that adds up to around a $55 savings.

Good luck and enjoy.

This.^
When my son got my son his saber, he said he wanted it with sound and no FoC (to make it cheaper)...and he regretted it after seeing mine. He's saving up to add it now. I would definitely sacrifice the nickel finish for V4 sound. Rechargeable batteries and the ability to change sound is big. The ability to mute it is invaluable too, because it is LOUD. I couldn't practice my spins at 1AM without waking everyone up. Lol

The Jedi seek to take away your humanity; the sith simply show you how to control it.

Sabers:
The Malice: BR, FoC Silver, Obsidian v4 Sound, Red Illuminated Switch, large claws
The Chosen One SE: BR, FoC Silver, Obsidian v4 Sound
Dark Initiate LE v4(main hand. Built from empty hilt): VA, FoC Silver, NB v3 sound, VA illuminated 12mm Switch
Dark Initiate LE v3 (off hand): VA
Initiate v2: BR

Jediseth
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2017, 07:18:56 PM »

Ya I'm always supprised when people discount FOC.  It really helps make an overpriced flashlight so much more like a real light saber.  I got leds without it and I'm always a little dissatisfied that it doesn't have it.  I guess we all don't feel that way.

Arbiter: V4, SD, Silver FOC, QD, 3-17
Archon V2.1, Diamond, 4-17

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -473

Either you like Star Wars... Or you're wrong.

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2017, 10:41:03 PM »

Tri Cree, FoC and Emerald (adding both FoC and Pulse) are all choices offered by Ultra Sabers that I think are equally valuable and worthy of consideration for any purchase. They all add realism to the experience, and the type of realism you choose is strictly yours to decide based on what makes it the most real for you.

For me Tri Cree has dominated, but I am still very fond of flash on clash and especially fond of the look that the pulse effect provides. Out of the 17 sabers I have from Ultra Sabers (I don't and won't own any from the other guys  Grin), I have 2 with Emerald, 3 with flash on clash and the rest either have tri cree LEDs or are stunt sabers.

Just had a few duels with my cousin yesterday and loved having a saber with flash on clash to duel with. It added so much realism to the duel, so absolutely yes, I definitely would've missed having it for that. I rarely duel, though, so the effect isn't taken advantage of to its fullest, and for me enjoying this addiction, er um hobby, most of the time means having the brightest, fullest blade possible and having fun customizing with different colors (both QD's and Emerald) and adding pulse effects (Emerald). The FoC you get with Emerald is a huge bonus, but not the best thing I enjoy.

My Top 3 Favorite Sabers: Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand and Shock LE

Jediseth
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2017, 11:18:55 PM »

Oh no, I knew I was in trouble. Here came LB to straighten me out.😁