Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down
Author Topic: Ethan's Saber :)  (Read 24999 times)
RevanReborn
Technomancer of the Graflex Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1086

« on: February 25, 2017, 10:05:27 PM »

Hi all Smiley.

You've prob heard me talking about this lately- I'm really excited to have the chance to do this special project, which is celebratory of a young boy finishing some very tough, very serious medical treatments, that IMO nobody, let alone a boy his age, should ever have to go through Sad

I won't talk about the details of this too much out of respect for the family involved, because I don't feel right divulging personal info online without a prior understanding with the people involved, and plus who knows- maybe Ethan will join the forum one day, so who am I to be telling you his story- know what i mean? 

But aside from what I've already said, the rest of the back story is- Charlie, Ethan's father, contacted me locally about doing a saber for this occasion, and of course when I heard the details I decided to make this somehting that will just (hopefully lol) amaze him Smiley.  Ethan's a to the bone SW fan, with many toy sabers, but no 'real' hilts, this will be his first Ultrasaber.  On top of this I know he wants a green blade, he's never had one that colour before.  Also his fav character is Vader, with kylo a close second- so I can kinda get a sense of his taste... and seems like a little man after my own heart!  I like his style lol. 

So- the time frame we need this by is the first week in April.  Not scrambling for time, but no time to waste certainly.   This thread will let me keep Charlie up to speed on the progress as it happens, I'll send him the link so he can watch it come together etc.  And then at the end I can link a vid to demo the saber and show instructions for Ethan.  I'll be starting with a chosen one se as the base- keeping his fav character in mind.  It will be cool to give him his own unique version Smiley.  Basically the idea is, that this hilt will be Ethan's pride and joy, the crown jewel of his collection- I want to go for impressiveness over practicality- he's a young buck, so he'll be growing like crazy over the next little while, and if a premium hilt isn't as comfy a grip as an aeon v2 so be it- he'll grow into it.  I'm sure he'd rather have the holy grail than the sensible all things considered lol.

I'll be personalizing the hilt like crazy- and I'm currently trying to perfect a technique of spot etching in experiments in another thread specifically for this project- gonna get some really cool aurebesh of his name in, etc.  Giving it a recharge port of course.  And since he wants a green blade, but yet his fav is Vader and kylo, and Vader's saber is the inspiration for this, I'm gonna throw in a 4 channel emerald so he can have best of both worlds, and absoutely set this thing to any colour blade and foc he wants- with added bonus of flicker/ pulse, which again, works perfect to his fav's.  It prob wouldn't be one of my builds without an accent or 13 lol, so I'm sure somehting like than will work it's way in lol, and I've got a pretty cool twist to this chosen one he he.  If you saw the updates to the sith 'flex then you can prob guess lol. 

I wanna do this up really awesome for him- even the way it's presented- so I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a cool little old beat up chest a la the flex chest in TFA, in which I'll include a t track stand from one of my smith buddies, the charger of course, a circle plug, retention screw wrenches, etc, all wrapped up nicely in these litttle cloth bags I got from a friend. 

Alright enough flapping my gums- build log time  Cool

Here's just some basic gathering/ preparing- can get a look at the twist I mentioned- the sleeve and act box off my sith flex ce.  It looks sweet on this hilt- matches the lines near the pommel like it was designed for it.  Plus the lack of clamp lever piece on this will ease grip for him a tad. 

went with vented version because you still get the line in the vertical window, which gives you that look PLUS the windows- best of both worlds IMO. 

Man... I have to say- if I'm being honest, as excited as I am about all the new releases i have yet to own- there's like a 98% chance that the next hilt I buy for myself will be a chosen one lol.  It's gonna be hard to go any other way now that I've held one- so gorgeous!  Like really- it's breathtaking. 

Should have some time this weekend so I'll keep you posted.  Just have to solidify the plan/ vision which entails staring at this for a while longer lol, plus I need to keep on the etching practice too.  Lots to do, better get at it!

MTFBWY Smiley.   

(EDIT) spotted something in pics I didn't mention- using a colour cycling rgb illuminated 16mm AV as the ignition switch, will go well with the emerald's infinite blade colours. 

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 10:19:38 PM »

Wow, I can't wait to see how it turns out, and it's so cool that you are willing and able to help out like this. Point to you for sure.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

RevanReborn
Knight Commander

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 10:34:47 PM »

Thanks TR! 

There's gonna be some cool stuff along the way on this for sure Smiley.  Can't wait! 

shade_1313
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 766

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 10:40:47 PM »

Looking forward to following this one.

URNOTSOBOSS
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 17

I am Sentinel.

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 12:53:59 AM »

Its looking great Revan--Point!

This is my favorite thing to see on SaberForum- people using sabers to connect with other people, such as a father customizing for a child or something like this, so I was really happy to see this.

Make sure to give Ethan all of our condolences and love from everyone on SaberForum.

Sentinel- A soldier or guard whose job is to stand and keep watch.

*Sabers I own:
Aeon V4 stunt In CG {Seren Arien}
Dark Arbiter Obsidian V4 in BR (Mystery Box)
Sentinel V4 in GB
Sentinel V4 in AB (Mystery box)
*Wishlist:
Shock

RevanReborn
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 01:59:06 AM »

Thanks guys! 

Will do for sure Boss Smiley.  I will def be telling Ethan's father about the forum and this amazing community, and vouching for it as a totally safe and family friendly place full of positive, great people to share this hobby with- like you guys! 

Easiest recessed recharge port ever- just drilled a 5/16" hole in the body for the port to clear, then drilled a 3/8" hole in the sleeve for the countersink.

Next step- modifying the nut so it fits in that countersink.  That's becoming like one of my signature moves lol.

Look close- the nut is seated in there.

And here it is with the port fully tightened in place:

Very happy with how that turned out Smiley.  Spiffy little port. 

Now, when you look at the alignment of this you'll be thinking, oh man it's just a pinch too high/ skewed from centre with the switch, that bugs me!  Jed I know you will for sure lol...

BUT WAIT!  The knurl I scooped for the key, a real beauty, comes from a source that uses offset ports- don't ask me why lol- but their keys and ports sit to one side:

Sooo, now you see why I offset the port a smidge- it's the exact amount so that the key sits perfectly in line with the switch.

Only just finished, still need to clean up/ fine sanding around holes etc- but it turned out great.  I located the port strategically to not interfere with grip (Ethan's right handed), and it turns out it mimics the location of the transistor greeblie on the flex clamp on the iconic grenade grip saber from the OT, so that's a bonus. 

Keep you posted Smiley

Jediseth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 828

"If I told you, you wouldn't like it." Han Solo

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 02:03:38 AM »

Rev,  I love watching you do your stuff. You need a plus 1000, too bad we don't got those.  Oh I mean -1000. 😊

Guardian : GB, FOC Red, V4, 11-15                        Reaper: V4, BR, 4-17
Chosen One CE : Emerald, V4, 12-15
Consular: Emerald V4, 1-16
Manticore: BR, FOC Orange, QD, V4, 11-16
Monarch: Emerald, V4, 2016 Autumn Raffle -1st
Arbiter: V4, SD, Silver FOC, QD, 3-17
Archon V2.1, Diamond, 4-17

Hansrad
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -670

Jedi? Sith? I'm the one with the lightsaber.

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2017, 04:58:02 AM »

What a great project and a great cause. Can wait to see what unfolds. The recharge port looks amazing. Blends in perfectly!

Own: Emerald Overlord, BHManticore, BR Renegade,FO Dominix LE V4 (stunt), CG Dominix LE V4 (stunt), GB Apprentice LE(stunt),BR Dark Initiate LE V4 (stunt), AS Apprentice LE V4 (stunt), CG Dominix V3 (stunt), SRD Darkish Liberator (stunt) Emerald Lost Grey.

Calculon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 435

We Will Win!

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 05:28:35 AM »

Great job Rev! Plusages all day long! Excellent work with the port.

The Wolfpack Lives!

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2031

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2017, 05:47:05 AM »

Nice. I like this one. A little bit of both Vader and Anakin in a way Tongue

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2017, 03:50:04 PM »

Exxxxxxxcellent (que Mr. Burns, lol). 

If the family changes their minds I will gladly have this Chosen One Grin

Points to you, brother . . . +1

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

RevanReborn
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2017, 04:06:24 PM »

Thanks so much everyone!!

Points heading back to you all as soon as possible of course Smiley.  

Wow, this looks like nothing lol, but it was quite a task- precarious/ nerve racking lol.  I didn't like the fit of the flat bottom of the knurled piece on the sleeve, so I reshaped the bottom.  SO fine/ tiny scale of a contour tho, if you know what I mean- like the angles you're looking to hit are so subtle and the space is so small, yet it all has to match perfect or it just won't sit right, and once you get to a certain point where you're getting close, any nanometer you sheer off one spot affects how the OTHER side of the piece sits as well, so it gets tense lol.  But I'm happy with this Smiley.  Not PERFECT, but it's pretty darn good, it looks like a nice 'seal' around the edge/ very nice fit, and I think it's about as good as I can possibly get it at this time with my current skill level, experience, tools, etc.  So I'm good with that.  All in all, I'm very happy with how the port turned out!  I'm going to etch something into the top of that kill key.  
This will all get cleaned up obviously.

Keep you posted Smiley.  

pepsiaddict
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 23

Brother of the Force: Neither Jedi nor Sith

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2017, 04:21:37 PM »

I know what you mean by that "nanometer" scale fitting, from other projects I've worked on. Wink Keep it up, you're doing a killer of a job! Looks amazing and I appreciate your dedication to the minute details.
Love to Ethan and his family.

I've got my Ford, my Springfield, and now my UltraSaber. Life is good.

Corwyn VonBeck
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -340

Grey Knight

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2017, 06:21:36 PM »

Looking amazing Rev! cant wait to see how this finishes up!

URNOTSOBOSS
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 17

I am Sentinel.

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2017, 07:13:43 PM »

I think that if we all keep pestering about a -1000 point bomb, maybe the SaberForum people will add it lol
 Grin Grin
Anyways, Rev, it looks awesome and I'm sure Ethan will love it.

Josh

Sentinel- A soldier or guard whose job is to stand and keep watch.

*Sabers I own:
Aeon V4 stunt In CG {Seren Arien}
Dark Arbiter Obsidian V4 in BR (Mystery Box)
Sentinel V4 in GB
Sentinel V4 in AB (Mystery box)
*Wishlist:
Shock

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: