Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down
Author Topic: Ethan's Saber :)  (Read 24974 times)
RevanReborn
Technomancer of the Graflex Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1086

« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2017, 04:22:32 AM »

Thanks guys!!

I'm really stoked- big moment for me taking that tape off this morning lol, I've imagined doing my own custom inlays since I got into mods etc, kinda surreal to look at this now Smiley.  Next project I do it on I'm thinking I'll gold leaf it, and then after that I'd like to try my hand at actually plating the etch.  But I need to know what I'm doing at that point lol. 

Kouri that's a wicked idea, thanks for the tip man!  That would look insane!  You know, looking at the grooves in the clamp- they're kinda beveled/ rounded wide, which looks stunning, but makes me wonder how they'd hold the paint with gripping over time?  BUT if I etched those grooves a little to make them more right angled, not to mention how the etching turns the metal all porous and great for taking paint, then it'd stick like a champ...

Not sure I'd have the time to etch the whole clamp for this project- but that gives me a wicked idea about doing something like that around the kill key- making a little area around the key have gold in the grooves- I think that would really tie it to the status indicator nicely and bring it all together.  Might be hard to imagine what I mean but I'll show you soon Smiley.  Thanks for the idea!  I'll def have to do that full clamp etching and inlay of the grooves in the flex mod I plan to do soon tho, no doubt- ill have all the time I need for that one it's just mine. 

Keep you posted Smiley.  Points still coming to everyone ASAP. 

RevanReborn
Knight Commander

« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2017, 07:41:46 PM »

Thanks to chronic disorganization at work, I was stuck in there all weekend saving the day lol, so I don't have any new etching to show yet- but I told them it's crunch time for this project now, so not to even bother asking me about overtime until after Smiley.   I've just been crashing on the couch lately with the saber on the coffee table, staring at the circuitry etch (uncleaned atm) and dreaming up how to do the rest of etching.

I still got to some loose ends this weekend tho, turning out really nice.  I also reorganized the shop/ outer rim lab when I picked up a sweet little work station they were ditching this weekend.  Perfect for a dedicated soldering area, freeing up much needed room for body work and such- no more worries about dust wrecking electronics etc and the extra room to move is really making things easier Smiley

The key, and also the spacer screw in the mls module, are all epoxied.  I also cleaned up the notches in the module so there's no rough edges etc.

Started cleaning up the key- man it's nice having my whole bench!

A normal US circle plug sits down in a Chosen One deep if you want it to sit on the module and be visible in all the windows- I'm glad cause this lets me do the type of blade plug I thought would look best.  Sort of a hybrid between vaders return hilt (MoM saber) and the Graflex.  If you're wondering Charlie, the blade plug is mainly to protect eyes, cause these leds are powerful enough to cause permanent damage to sight- kinda like staring directly at the sun or being caught with the sight of a weld type thing, whenever I test leds I'm seeing spots lol, I need some goggles or somehting.  But the plug blocks the majority of the direct view and helps keep people safe from being flashed/ blinded when the actual blade tube isn't in, like when he's wearing it, got it on the dresser, etc.  Plus they just look cool lol.

Can't wait to see that all lit up!

Progress will really start showing this week.  I'll have the internals all wired up and ready to go within a couple days, while I get the last of the etching into the body.  Then I install and give it a test Smiley.  I have some pics of the insides at the new soldering area, and what's going on there, but I'll save that for tomrrow morning so i can demonstrate it and show people here how to get one of these accents running as a 3 stage status indicator on their obsidian sound board set ups.   Keep u posted Smiley

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2017, 07:51:26 PM »

Very cool Rev.  Way to go snagging that workstation - can't wait to see.

Yes, let's see that puppy lit-up...lol

Look how awesome you make a blade plug.  A BLADE PLUG for Pete's sake. Smiley

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2017, 11:09:50 PM »

Blade Plugs are something I can understand. Very cool little mod you did there. It will look great once it's lit up.

Point to you

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Hansrad
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -670

Jedi? Sith? I'm the one with the lightsaber.

« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2017, 03:15:06 AM »

Great work. I love the gold inlay and that's a sweet mod to the blade plug!

Own: Emerald Overlord, BHManticore, BR Renegade,FO Dominix LE V4 (stunt), CG Dominix LE V4 (stunt), GB Apprentice LE(stunt),BR Dark Initiate LE V4 (stunt), AS Apprentice LE V4 (stunt), CG Dominix V3 (stunt), SRD Darkish Liberator (stunt) Emerald Lost Grey.

RevanReborn
Knight Commander

« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2017, 06:30:23 PM »

Thanks guys!

Ok I didn't get as much time as I expected but I pretty much have everything prepped, so tomorrow's the day for sure for having together to test, and I can show you how to hook in one of these accents. 

I'll just be hooking together to make sure it's all working like I think, that it's all good, and to confirm the condition of the speaker and switch-I have extras if need be, need to make sure these are good.  Not to mention, for purposes of intstall there's no point trying to finalize the internals yet- once I've got things running into the body then I can braid nicely and trim to length etc- but would be premature at this point- I've got more length than I need inetntionally pre-install. 

Alright, so the stuff at the new soldering area: the 4 channel emerald, v3 obsidian (I think), the 2x 14500 Li ion holder, speaker, usual soldering stuff obviously, some tape, plus some other things I'll need like resistors, random shrink, the colour wire I'll want (sticking with 24gauge for strength), etc. 

Looking at this just gets me that much more excited about the diamond controller, if that's even possible lol. 

I'll need to get this real tidy for Ethan to slide out and change his colours/ sound font.  The top of the boards have the resin, but you can see the bottom, which is handy for tracking the foc pin/ wires without consulting a diagram (one day I will, it could clear up some questions I still have the easy way lol).

I can't even tidy this up yet until I see the speakers legit.  Then I can permanently attach speaker, finalize that part of the wiring and lock in the batteries for good. 

I had the led sitting in its old module just to let it set onto its heat sink since I opted to go for a couple star thermal tapes instead of the grease.  Now it's nice and locked on from sitting held/ compressed while I finished tweaking the new module.  So time to move the led to its new home, and give it a shiny new lens while we're at it.  Gotta admit, the emeralds not wired like I expected- 4 individually addressable dice you'd expect 8 leads right?  Nope- 6.  Somethings common (?), but that's interesting cause any channel could be foc depending on whim of user, so it must all be in the board- how it actually articulates the dice?  Dunno- wish I had time to examine this a bit but it'll have to wait till I get a look at my other emerald- no time here. (Or I could just check a diagram lol, but I'm stubborn).  Either way doesn't even affect me here- I'm not changing any part of the main led circuit- I'm messing with everything else lol. 

Time to break out the trusty tester pack- chunk of a kylo toy with a latching switch patched on to a 700mA puck, perfect for testing/ identifying etc most high powered dice I'll work with on the safe side, and a 5mm deep red off a 20mA dyna ohm, handy to tell me if the switch is in on position, and removable so I can safely test just about any small led I'll work with- which I'll do now to identify which legs/ dice are which.  Easy since there's only one positive for them all.

Bam

Bam

Bam

Now I can solder the leads on- let's go red for positive, black for green since those two are just running to recharge port, white for the red (-), and purple for the blue (-)... probabaly wonder why not blue lol, but the blue die is the foc in this config, and I'm so used to using purple for foc. 

I could have trimmed the ends a tiny bit more to be perfect, but those are solid joins, and these leads simply won't be able to move at all anywhere near the joins.  It's all locked in place well.  The hardest thing I did today was get the bloody shrink over those bends and snug all the way to the base of lens so no potential for shorting lol- the legs are so close the shrink interferes with the next shrink, doesn't wanna go on all the way lol, but I got it!

Good idea to put somehting soft down when working with your switch- flat ones will show scuffing way easier than you expect.  I'm realizing looking at this pic now that I didn't trim switch posts like I usually do- hoping that doesn't come back to bite me lol.  Not worried there's plenty of room in this one- I'm running less wire/ etc than I seem to be averaging lately lol. 

The switch led wires just go 3/4" to the right to the recharge port, so they're shorter- the switch wires are longer cause they'll connect down to board and be done up nicely to allow access. 

So now I grab the 2.1mm jack and we're ready to hook all this up Smiley.  Piece of cake from here- that's going down tomrrow morning.  Keep you posted.

Corwyn VonBeck
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -340

Grey Knight

« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2017, 06:39:18 PM »

You make it all sound so simple! lol

Rapine
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2017, 07:05:48 PM »

Totally awesome Rev!

Yes, tell us what you learn about adding an Emerald board - I'll be doing that someday. Wink

Trim switch posts huh?

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2017, 09:56:35 PM »

Very cool. (I think Roll Eyes ) Anyways, great job again. Point to you.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

sedstiskyfaller
Artisan of the Azure Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 617

Blue is my color, it is who I am

« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2017, 10:24:33 PM »

Your technical prowess never ceases to amaze, Rev. This will be a fine saber when it's completed!

RevanReborn
Knight Commander

« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2017, 04:18:50 AM »

Thanks everyone, really appreciate!

Great to see you Sedsti!  Best wishes in the academic quest brotha, look forward to having you back Smiley

RevanReborn
Knight Commander

« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2017, 12:24:37 PM »

And now it's time for another episode of: Rev makes hilariously embarrassing mistakes in public!  Lol

So let's take another look at the led from yesterday-

Notice anything hilarious?  Especially in light of the comments I made about it not looking like I expected etc... ?

How about those two unused solder pads right smack in the middle of the friggn mcpcb haha?!  If we have a rgbw led- there's no other dice on that puppy- and we clearly see empty pads, it means one of the dice isn't wired (green) lol.  Doh!  Pretty hard to get Ethan his green blade without that haha!  Remember how I said I wished I had more time to look at this lol?  Well maybe I should have lol, for like even for 10 seconds at just what was in front of my face lol.  Thankfully Jed was looking out, and tends to observe the things in front of his eyes on a regular basis lol, and gave me the heads up. 

So THAT's why there were only 6 wires lol.  This was a special emerald saber originally- was a 1st prize in a raffle Smiley, which explains the unique 3 channel emerald configuration- and I hadn't played with the settings at all to realize this yet.  (It came in a wicked unstable chaotic white flicker that I always kept as is). 

Wow- it's amazing I don't run into stationary objects more often lol Sad

Reasons why discovering this now is annoying: 1) I just finished thoroughly levelling up the leds ability to dissipate heat... if this were final fantasy 7 it would be at level 99 with its final limit break and all the master materia and ultimate weapons etc... and now i have to solder to it lol.  I sense a disturbance in the force... it feels  like melting wires and gross stains on the mcpcb lol. 

2) Jed gave me the heads up that the spots I'll need to solder on the emerald to get my green channel in are super tiny and hard to reach.  And not just a little- like there's a 50/50 chance I'll just wreck it lol.  Awesome lol.   Well I'm just getting home so I'm super eager to take a look!  Gonna go do that now. 

It's no deal breaker either way Smiley.  First- through the force all things are possible lol.  I honestly think I can solder this no matter how tricky it is... (famous last words ha!)... PLUS, if I toast it, I know exactly what I'll do with it- and it will still serve me well- it will give its remains to the furthering of my knowledge in saberdom lol, so I'm ok taking the chance.  And I have another 4 channel emerald that I can use in that case, so all good there too.  So I'm actually not really sweating it.  Ok gonna go get to this- keep u posted.

Thanks again Jed!!

Rapine
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2017, 12:32:30 PM »

Hey, nice catch though.

I have full confidence in you, Rev.  I have absolutely no doubt at all that you'll not only do this very well, but shine at it - and likely discover something new while doing it...lol  Roll Eyes

RevanReborn
Knight Commander

« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2017, 02:17:08 PM »

Thanks LR! 

Welp, there's good news and bad news lol. 

Jed wasn't kidding.  It's a tricky spot for this particular channel.  I did a yo yo on my plan of action.  First I looked at the spot, saw how tight the spot was where I needed to go on the top side of board where all the other wires are joined- saw the backside was way more open, and was like o sweet I can totally get in there with an smt tip:

But then I noticed the robot caterpillar (that's what I call them, no idea what the device/ package is really called), which is the processor, the most sensitive part of this whole rather sensitive mountain of pcb and wire lol.  Of course this had to be the one channel that was located right at that component lol.  So I decided never mind I'll go in the top like normal, it's tighter but I can get in there:

But then I saw that the solder from the connection to the right of the pads I'll use had built up a bit around the ground pin running through it, and basically overflowed- making the little bit of separation between the pads dissapear pretty much- gauranteed the second I put heat to my positive pad, the ground next to it is bridging to it Sad.  It's like a nano of separation, the bead of solder on that neighbouring ground pin is almost touching the tinning on the vacant pad I need to use already...

You can see the pin I'm talking about under the white wire, where it runs down through the next board the solder beads, and the tinning on the pad to the left is pretty much a whisper away from making contact.  So I'm gonna solder around that processor on the backside after all lol.  Those things don't like esd, I'm safe there, but they don't like that kinda heat, and certainly don't like being poked with iron.  But I like my odds there better- not only would desoldering the top side risk scorching everything around for miles lol, I'd likely just end up bridging the connections right then and there- on the backside I have a shot at removing the excess tinning with the braid and not burning things, which will be me best bet at not soldering those pads together lol.

Wish me luck Smiley

Corwyn VonBeck
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -340

Grey Knight

« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2017, 03:37:47 PM »

Holy crap! yeah, have fun with that! lol  If there is a tight spot to be found, count on Rev to find it, then make the rest of us feel inadequate by rocking it! Tongue

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: