Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Idea request: Phone or Tablet converted to a usable Datapad  (Read 993 times)
Jaraun Shadowwalker
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 5

Dark Side Points, please

« on: February 26, 2017, 03:07:13 AM »

so, i've been toying with costume ideas, and, with having been playing SWTOR and watching the characters constantly pull out datapads, i was thinking about having a phone (or tablet) be converted to look like a datapad from various eras.  i've seen similar ideas of a phone to a pip-boy from the fallout series.  i'm looking for ideas that will still keep the phone completely functional.

One idea i've had was to get the old "Jedi Dex" toy that came out after the clone wars movie ( https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Attack-Clones-Jedi/dp/B00006416I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488077480&sr=8-1&keywords=star+wars+jedi+dex ), tear out the insides, and make the alterations needed to keep the phone usuable, likely using a blackberry knock off for the phone.  it would still look like a toy, unfortunately.

any other ideas?

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 3214

You can't take the sky from me....

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 04:35:25 AM »

I've been planning to do this for ages with my tablet. Never ended up doing it. My plan was make a frame that the device slid into with a cut out for the screen, that way it's still completely accessible and useable for outside of the prop. If you have double tap to activate the screen it also means that you don't have to be able to access the power button on the side/ top. If not, have a cutout in the side to reach the button, or make a 'button' that presses onto the power button, like a phone or tablet case does

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

archon v2.1, consular, dominix v3 LE, bellicose, 2x dark initiate v3 LE, dark initiate v2 LE, Aeonix v2, raven, 2x shock, 2x manticore, electrum wind em/v4 obs

Jaraun Shadowwalker
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 5

Dark Side Points, please

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 07:25:08 AM »

part of my reason for asking is due to thinking about the various props people use, and how many of them are practical or hiding away things they need for real life.  maybe i should have started a thread about that?  practical props and hidden necessities that people carry?

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 3214

You can't take the sky from me....

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 08:36:16 AM »

part of my reason for asking is due to thinking about the various props people use, and how many of them are practical or hiding away things they need for real life.  maybe i should have started a thread about that?  practical props and hidden necessities that people carry?

Heh.

As a Jedi costumer I will admit I have no space to put a prop like that, which is the other part of the reason I haven't done it.

In costume when I'm wearing a belt with pouches (whether Halo or Star Wars), my pouches carry the bare necessities. Phone, wallet, asthma puffer, spare batteries, etc. I don't have a pouch large enough to hold a tablet. If I'm using my leather satchel then I physically could fit it in there, but if I've got everything else in there then I quickly run out of space. And where possible I prefer not to have to carry a prop everywhere coz then you dont have to fear accidentally putting it down and forgetting it, and your hands are free to do stuff. My lightsaber is one of the few exceptions, but then I'm not likely to lose track of a double bladed lightsaber. And my Halo pistol is physically attached to me so if I drop it or knock it off its magnetic holster then it'll just dangle by its string and ill reattach it. We like to be self sufficient, and keep all our bits on us safely when costuming at cons and public events Smiley

Large props for our Halo costuming tend to be saved for when we have a stall coz they are impractical otherwise.

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

archon v2.1, consular, dominix v3 LE, bellicose, 2x dark initiate v3 LE, dark initiate v2 LE, Aeonix v2, raven, 2x shock, 2x manticore, electrum wind em/v4 obs

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: