Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Reflecting blaster bolts  (Read 12873 times)
Rathayatra
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 98

"Mud hole? Slimy? My home this is"

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2017, 02:33:40 PM »

it's fun just to shoot at someone and see IF they can deflect. lol.   This is a great idea to practice deflection. thanks.

lightside points please --- thanks an old youngling
Initiate LE v4 CG             
Prophesy v3 OPS GB 
Graflex GB OPS
Yoda FX
Dk. Prophesy v3 SY
Standard Issue Battle v3 GB
Dk. Prophesy v3 VA
Archon v2.1 GB
Dk. Prophesy v3 CG
Dk. Menace tri GB
Consular v4 GB Nickel
Shock GB OPS + Raffle Prophesy CG Stunt
Archon v3.1 + spring raffle Dominix LE v4

pepsiaddict
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 23

Brother of the Force: Neither Jedi nor Sith

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2017, 05:39:15 AM »

You could get one of the guns and some nerf darts and paint the darts with glow in the dark paint. You can get that stuff pretty cheap and it works well/wont come off. I don't think accuracy of the blaster is too big an issue if youre only training to deflect the darts, and lets not forget blasters ARE clumsy and random haha. All in all I think this is a great nerf gun, its the only one I still have. I had one of the Vulcans though at one point, but I don't think using a fully automatic chain fed nerf gun would be good for deflection training...
I was thinking about the glow in the dark sticks, like these:
https://smile.amazon.com/Glow-Sticks-Bulk-300-Count/dp/B00N1QVCMU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489988251&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=Glow+in+the+dark+sticks&psc=1
Fire those at low speed, at night....THAT would make for sweet video!

Maybe a 3' pipe with a rubber band at one end. Like a slingshot with a barrel.

I've got my Ford, my Springfield, and now my UltraSaber. Life is good.

obliviondoll
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: -21

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2017, 03:31:52 PM »

New nerf "Accustrike" range is a lot better on accuracy than most. I got an Alphahawk for my birthday (yesterday, technically my first Ultrasaber was an early birthday present too), so I will be using it to test my deflection skills.

It has a "bolt action" style cocking mechanism, which is pretty cool, and the darts definitely travel a lot more consistently than the regular ones (I've tested my old darts alongside the new ones in the same gun, as well as the new darts in an older one and they just work better).

V^^^V
It's not about rage, it's about *emotion*. Happiness is the Dark side, and I will face you with a smile.

pepsiaddict
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2017, 02:22:10 AM »

That Alphahawk does look pretty sweet. Let us know how deflecting goes: distances, etc. Extra credit for video. Wink

Master Uilos
Resident Master
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 121

Snark Jedi

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2017, 09:55:44 PM »

A few years back, my group actually ran a few tests on how to block/deflect blaster bolts. A friend brought their nerf gear, a few guns, a handcranked gatling gun, the usual. We actually found the most effective way to block/deflect is to keep the saber in front of you, down your centerline.

Pedantic Lightsaber Philosopher. Stage Combat Junkie. Cranky New York Street Mage.

Master of the Snark Side of the Force

Long Live The Fighters

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2017, 10:20:26 PM »

A few years back, my group actually ran a few tests on how to block/deflect blaster bolts. A friend brought their nerf gear, a few guns, a handcranked gatling gun, the usual. We actually found the most effective way to block/deflect is to keep the saber in front of you, down your centerline.

That's interesting. I'll have to try it this summer once the snow goes away. I'd like to get good at deflection, just because it is a cool skill to have.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Darth Cephalus
Supreme Heresiarch of Inadvisable Saber Techniques
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -915

Who watches the watchmen?

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2017, 10:30:27 PM »

Back in the early 2000s, they actually made a set that I bought one of. I still have it around. It was a plastic lightsaber and an imperial droid in a stand. The droid was about the size of a small basketball. When you turned it on, it tracked the lightsaber and shot foam discs in the general direction of whoever was carrying it. It would pivot around so you never knew if it was about to fire. I always found the best way to deal with it was to hold the saber at slightly less than a 45 degree angle across my center line. In made it so I could deflect by moving side to side or by dropping. I dare say foam discs are a lot easier to deflect than nerf bolts though.

pepsiaddict
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2017, 04:01:12 AM »

Ha! That's how I held it, tip pointed forward just enough that I could see over it.

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2017, 01:38:59 PM »

As to bullets: I'm thinking that the Sith method would just be to crush the gun wielder's mind. Roll Eyes

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

obliviondoll
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2017, 06:17:12 AM »

Can't get video, but confirming a "side stance" with the blade low and grip ready to slash upward seems to make for an easier time catching the shots with the swing. I'm not entirely sure why. I stand with right foot forward, blade on my left side, and slash up and to the right. Also opens up a few options for just reversing the strike, or doing a straight downward slash, or a cut from the right side which I like because it leads back into the deflection stance.

Also I expected that the reverse grip would be less favourable to deflections than it actually is... surprisingly actually a decent option, although the 2-handed side stance grip has given me slightly better results.

For just STOPPING the darts, rather than trying to knock them away/back, the straight upright 2-handed grip is pretty good, but a slightly better option (at least for me) is to use a one-handed grip with the blade horizontal in front of the body. And it's harder to use a reverse grip to stop the darts than to actively deflect them, which I found both odd and cool.

V^^^V
It's not about rage, it's about *emotion*. Happiness is the Dark side, and I will face you with a smile.

pepsiaddict
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2017, 11:20:22 PM »

Very interesting Obliviondoll.
Thanks for the details. Sounds like you practiced a lot!

kaanapuchris
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -53

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2017, 12:02:21 PM »

For this there should be a circle you stand in maybe 3 feet in diameter. You can dodge and block as long as you stay in that circle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

obliviondoll
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2017, 06:57:32 AM »

For this there should be a circle you stand in maybe 3 feet in diameter. You can dodge and block as long as you stay in that circle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't have an established rule about it, but I had been staying basically in a fixed position anyway, not dodging, only deflecting. I was only facing a single opponent with a bolt action weapon, though, not something that's semi- or full-auto. Multiple opponents or rapid-fire would probably make me move around a lot more - and having a fixed area in which to be allowed to move would make it a really interesting challenge. I might try and set this up in future - I'll dig up my old maverick and at least have 2 shooters to deal with Smiley

V^^^V

pepsiaddict
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2017, 11:08:27 PM »

I didn't have an established rule about it, but I had been staying basically in a fixed position anyway, not dodging, only deflecting. I was only facing a single opponent with a bolt action weapon, though, not something that's semi- or full-auto. Multiple opponents or rapid-fire would probably make me move around a lot more - and having a fixed area in which to be allowed to move would make it a really interesting challenge. I might try and set this up in future - I'll dig up my old maverick and at least have 2 shooters to deal with Smiley
Badass!

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2017, 10:22:56 PM »

Ever since I was a kid I always thought the coolest part of a light saber was not the glowing sword part, but the ability to deflect and reflect blaster bolts.

I made my first "light saber" when I was 16 with a section of pipe, decorative chain and 32" long 1 1/2" dowel. Hundreds of hours spent having my siblings throw tennis balls at me. I got relatively good at batting them back, stopping them dead, and even redirecting their momentum. We had a massive point system going depending on what I did and what they did - which kept things competitive and them interested, the loser doing the winner's chore. I must have mowed the lawn the entire summer when my older brother learned to throw a curve ball. But eventually....I learned to watch for and hit a curve ball. Smiley
I think that this is incredibly cool, not to mention intuitive  Cheesy  Great idea^^

Does anybody else actively practice deflecting/reflecting?
Does baseball practice (and being hit on multiple occasions  Tongue) count?

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: